Aiming too high? c3.7 s3.63 MCAT 509 - this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize my stats are on the lower side of average but I wasn't sure how much/if at all my URM & MD/JD would affect my med school list.

Neuroscience Major graduating a year early from U of Florida
URM status - Hispanic
First generation
Disadvantaged background
Gap year spent being a Scribe and continuing work in research lab in which I wrote my thesis
Applying to MD/JD programs

I'm specifically passionate about education - specifically in groups that can't self-advocate, namely pediatric and geriatric populations.

sGPA: 3.63
cGPA: 3.67 (Summa Cum Laude w/ thesis)
MCAT: 509

App:
- solid personal statement
- 7 excellent LORs

Research:
- 2 years use of immunotherapy in Parkinson's (wrote thesis)
- 2 years medicinal chemistry
- 1.5 years pediatric psychology

EC/Volunteer:
- combined bio/chem/physics lab course TA for 4 semesters (F+Sp) (2 years total)
- Emergency Medical Responder course TA for 5 semesters (F+Sp+Su) (1.5 years total) [certifications in EMR/CPR/BLS/ACLS]
- 50 hours shadowing in pediatric psychiatry
- 200+ shadowing hours neurosurgery
- leadership position in two separate honors organizations
- volunteer in child daycare center (400+ hours)
- clinical volunteering (200+ hours)
- dancer&delegate for Dance Marathon (yearly pediatric focused fundraising event)
- worked throughout college in both restaurant and as Starbucks barista/new employee trainer

Not especially relevant:
- studied abroad in Spain (b/c Hispanic)

Any recommendations for the highest reasonable tier of schools to apply to? I’ve checked MSAR but would love any additional recommendations about schools such as Georgetown or UNC that have lower overall score ranges but generally evaluate more truly to the ‘holistic’ review process.

University of Florida (MD/JD), UCF, USF, FAU, Virginia Commonwealth, NYU, U of Washington, UNC, Boston, USCali, Georgetown, Miami (MD/JD), Emory, U of Colorado, Tulane (MD/JD), UC San Diego, Wake Forest

Feel free to be brutal - it'll save me in app costs. However, do also feel free to give any recommendations for additions to the list.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not familiar with the MD/JD programs but you are competitive for all your Florida MD schools. NYU is a reach and U Washington accepts mainly their own residents and those from nearby states where they are contracted to take the residents of those states.