air compressor to power my unit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tekstyle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I should go Oil-free or oil-lubed compressor to power my low and high speed handpieces? I want something that is quiet like the APC4028 1.5HP 4.5gallon compressor.

here's a video clip of it http://www.everyaircompressor.com/GMC-Power-Equipment-SYCLONE-4610-GMC1001.html?cv=0 (this is a rebrand APC4028)

also, this compressor will double to power tools in the garage.

I understand that oil-lube is generally more quiet and I would in a heartbeat went that route. however, the down side is that oil can pass through the air hose as blow-by in these units which will most likely destroy your handpieces.

What do you guys use at home and your recommendations? any particular unit?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go oil free. Its not a matter if oil seeps into the lines its when. The problem is not necessarily that it will ruin your hand pieces its what it does to the patient. Not only is the patient ingesting dirty oil, but most bonding systems require an air dry at some step along the line. What does oil do to bonding? I'm not exactly sure but i don't want to find out.

I have a Junair oil compressor from Denmark and it is soooo quiet like a whisper sitting in the same room. It still worked flawlessly after 10 years and I do not have any problem with oil in the line because I do not yet have problem with composite falling out. I rarely have problem with my handpieces using Star lubefree handpieces, Midwest handpieces, and $60 noname ebay handpieces. The oilfree compressors are horrendously more noisy and a lot more expensive when I check last year so I do not recommend them.

Check out SilentAire, they use refrigerator compressor. This was discussed briefly on Dentaltown a few months ago.