Air Force GMO/Flight Surgeon Billets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trattoria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cheers,

Have any of you that are currently prelim interns selected to be a Flight Surgeon or GMO next year heard anything about when we will find out where we are going this summer? I know we are all supposed to find out by some time in April, but I heard that for certain locations and/or jobs you would find out in January.

Anyhow, good luck with the rest of this year and I hope everyone is enjoying the online AMP course :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Cheers,

Have any of you that are currently prelim interns selected to be a Flight Surgeon or GMO next year heard anything about when we will find out where we are going this summer? I know we are all supposed to find out by some time in April, but I heard that for certain locations and/or jobs you would find out in January.

Anyhow, good luck with the rest of this year and I hope everyone is enjoying the online AMP course :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember it being Jan or Feb when assignments rolled out. BTW, the online AMP course is a joke. It now teaches you even less than it did before. The first year as a flight doc is purely OJT. The new AMP is useless. Enjoy.

The first year as a flight doc is purely OJT

Completely agree. The learning curve for this is really steep.

However, your clinical knowledge curve is even in steeping, but in the wrong direction (If you knowwhat I mean)

...Counting the days until I can begin residency in the CIVILIAN WORLD :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I appreciate your insight. Keeping my fingers crossed as to where I am headed next year.

Hey,

Does anyone know if they made the selections for the special operations GMO tours yet?

Thanks.

Hey,

Does anyone know if they made the selections for the special operations GMO tours yet?

Thanks.

Not sure about this one, but I thought that everyone was supposed to hear at the same time.

By looking at the other posts, it seems that a lot of the Navy GMO's finish out their required military service as a GMO and then go into a civilian residency and work in the private sector.

Does anyone know what percentage of Air Force GMO's/Flight Surgeons do this?

By looking at the other posts, it seems that a lot of the Navy GMO's finish out their required military service as a GMO and then go into a civilian residency and work in the private sector.

Have no idea, and you would be hard pressed to find this info or anybody willing to give up this info that does know. At my base, out of the 7 FS that are not residency trained (including myself), all but 1-2 of them intend on leaving after their commitment is up and getting a civilian residency, free of any additional military commitment. So, if you take that as a representation of the population, it is somewhere between 14-28%. I would estimate somewhere around 25%, but that is just my guess

100% with a 3-4 year commitment at my base for the last 4 years. No kidding. I have only seen 2 go on to AF residencies and they were both USUHS so didn't have a choice to get out after 4. Doing GMO/FS for 7 years would be totally insane.

I should add that one of the possible 2 that are staying in the military to do a residency has an additional ROTC commitment, and therefore has a total ADSC of 7 years. I agree, almost no one would be crazy enough to do FS for longer than 4 years without being residency trained. Then again, I have a doc at my office that has been a FS since 2001 and keeps on extending his contract and has no intention of getting residency trained. To each his own?!?

I should add that one of the possible 2 that are staying in the military to do a residency has an additional ROTC commitment, and therefore has a total ADSC of 7 years. I agree, almost no one would be crazy enough to do FS for longer than 4 years without being residency trained. Then again, I have a doc at my office that has been a FS since 2001 and keeps on extending his contract and has no intention of getting residency trained. To each his own?!?

I asked a recruiter about this and he told me that due to Iraq/Afghanistan, the Air Force was using GMO's/flight surgeons to fill critical needs in operational billets, but that they wanted you to enter residency after your GMO billet. He finally admitted that some people extend their contract so that they could seperate and go into a civilian program. He said you could not continue to re-up indefinitely.

I asked a recruiter about this and he told me that due to Iraq/Afghanistan, the Air Force was using GMO's/flight surgeons to fill critical needs in operational billets, but that they wanted you to enter residency after your GMO billet. He finally admitted that some people extend their contract so that they could seperate and go into a civilian program. He said you could not continue to re-up indefinitely.

Holy cr*p, a recruiter who knows what he is talking about?????

I think the world will be coming to an end soon. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, regarding this the recruiter is 100% correct, but the point is most will just finish their initial commitments and leave to enter a civilian residency. However, it makes sense to stay if you want a highly competitive specialty (i.e. Derm, Radiology, Ortho, ENT, Optho, etc) and you would otherwise have a hard time finding a civilian position.

I suppose eventually they will force you to either go into residency or get out, but given that OEF/OIF don't seem to be going away anytime soon, I have a hard time believing that they would do this. This use to happen before the war, but now manning is definitely an issue.

Holy cr*p, a recruiter who knows what he is talking about?????

I think the world will be coming to an end soon. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, regarding this the recruiter is 100% correct, but the point is most will just finish their initial commitments and leave to enter a civilian residency. However, it makes sense to stay if you want a highly competitive specialty (i.e. Derm, Radiology, Ortho, ENT, Optho, etc) and you would otherwise have a hard time finding a civilian position.

I suppose eventually they will force you to either go into residency or get out, but given that OEF/OIF don't seem to be going away anytime soon, I have a hard time believing that they would do this. This use to happen before the war, but now manning is definitely an issue.

One of the current criteria for making O-5 is to be residency trained or in residency. That would impact docs at the 13-14 year point (fail to select x 2).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Thanks.

Special operations GMO tours ?? My recruiter did not seem to know much about this. Is this a new program? Is it competitive to get? The recruiter explained to me a little bit about flight docs and then he said, people who were not physically qualified would work as a GMO in a military hospital, but he made no mention of anything with special operations. Also, he said very few people in the USAF have to do a GMO tour, as most will go straight through on residency training. (This was his big selling point over the Navy). Earlier posts suggest that last year, a bunch of people were forced into GMO billets. He told me that this was an anomaly, but I saw where another poster said the same thing happened in the 90's. Is this a policy shift? And, where does this whole special operations thing fit in?

Thank you.

I'm currently a 3rd year HPSP med student going for Rads. I know its pretty competitive to get an AF spot. I also don't mind the idea of doing a GMO/FS tour if I don't get a spot. I did a rotation with some FS guys for a few days, and even though they did plan on getting out when the time commitment was up, they didn't seem to think it was all that bad, some enjoyed it and were even thankful they did it.

So my question is this. If I did a FS tour for 4 years paid off my time and then entered back into the civilian match and say wanted to do Rads. Would having four years of general medical experience. Or do civilian programs take the other approach and want fresh applicants right out of the gate. If anyone has any stats on this, that would be great. I've heard speculations about both sides of this theory.

This is only second-hand from docs I've talked to who are former military, but what I've heard is that many programs do like and appreciate military service. I'm sure there are some programs out there who want residents fresh from medical school, but it's very hard for programs to find something "wrong" with providing service to your country, and most programs (again, from what I've heard) regard it as a glowing positive setting you apart from other applicants.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything about where they are going. I still haven't heard anything, nor has anyone else at my base. I guess hopefully we will all hear something soon.

Just checking in to see if anyone has heard anything about where they are going. I still haven't heard anything, nor has anyone else at my base. I guess hopefully we will all hear something soon.

Haven't heard jack, but all my Navy counterparts all know where they are going.

Special operations GMO tours ?? My recruiter did not seem to know much about this. Is this a new program? Is it competitive to get? The recruiter explained to me a little bit about flight docs and then he said, people who were not physically qualified would work as a GMO in a military hospital, but he made no mention of anything with special operations. Also, he said very few people in the USAF have to do a GMO tour, as most will go straight through on residency training. (This was his big selling point over the Navy). Earlier posts suggest that last year, a bunch of people were forced into GMO billets. He told me that this was an anomaly, but I saw where another poster said the same thing happened in the 90's. Is this a policy shift? And, where does this whole special operations thing fit in?

Thank you.

I'm currently a flight surgeon in special ops and I love it. In the Air Force the application process is a partially separated from the rest of assignments. Let me know if you are interested, I would be happy to talk to you about it.
If you are going to do a tour as a flight surgeon and you want to deploy FREQUENTLY consider special operations. We are very operational and do more than just see clinic and ride in the back seat of aircraft.

What are the AF GMO options?

What are the AF GMO options?

My impression, at least for the current year group, is that the Air Force wants flight docs, and the only people that they will slot for GMO billets are those who do not medically qualify for at least a partial waiver on their flight physical. I was told that those who become GMO's basically work in a Family Practice Clinic. Maybe someone else knows a little more about this?

My impression, at least for the current year group, is that the Air Force wants flight docs, and the only people that they will slot for GMO billets are those who do not medically qualify for at least a partial waiver on their flight physical. I was told that those who become GMO's basically work in a Family Practice Clinic. Maybe someone else knows a little more about this?

There is rumor going around from my SGP and CC that they are increasing non-residency trained FS billets by 10% (Making it about a 35% "non-match" rate, unfortuanetly, there is no scramble in the JSGME). This may be all bullsh*t, but with the operational needs of OIF/OEF, I would not doubt it.

GMOs (not FS) mostly work in FP clinics, but can also work in Peds clinics, EDs, and other places. Still, anybody given the choice (assuming they pass the Flight Physical) should choose a FS billet over a GMO billet 100% of the time.

Still, anybody given the choice (assuming they pass the Flight Physical) should choose a FS billet over a GMO billet 100% of the time.

Absolutely agree. Being a slick GMO sucks @ss. I personally know a few of these poor bastards who couldn't pass a flight physical and they are miserable clinic monkeys. At least we get to hang out at the flying squadron and get up in the air once in a while.

Has anyone received their orders yet, or at least do you know when we are supposed to find out where we are going? By what others are telling me, it's a little wierd that we haven't heard anything yet.

Ya, I called the detailer and got an answer on where I'm going. Some general somewhere still has to sign off on everything though, so I'm not sure how totally set in stone everything is, but it sounded like things were pretty definite. This is for the AF, btw. Not sure on when I'm getting my actual orders, though of course that would be nice. Finally got my flight physical straightened out, so I'm not holding my breath on finding out immediately. PM me if you need the numbers to call.

Does anyone know if the USAF plans to routinely send a certain percentage of folks to be flight surgeons/GMO's? Supposedly, the Navy plans to decrease the amount of GMO's. I gather from other threads that last year's class was a one time deal to fill critical shortfalls, and that the USAF did that once before in the 1990's. I also know that every year or so there are more states that are requiring more than 1 year of residency in order to be able to apply for a license. Some states (Nevada and Maine) already require 3 yrs of residency in order to be able to apply for a license. There was a thought on another thread that this would result in pressure from the states to end this whole GMO thing.

Grand Forks, North Dakota wheeeeeee

I find it amusing that they never told me - we found you could check by looking at initial assignment briefing. Finally got my orders which apparently kicks in two months from now but there's a hold up because I haven't gotten around to passing my fitness test yet - oops

What would disqualify you from being a FS and send you to GMO duty? I wear contacts, will that been enough?

What would disqualify you from being a FS and send you to GMO duty? I wear contacts, will that been enough?

Short answer: No. There are tons and tons of people who wear contacts and glasses and still fly around in planes.

Long answer: Still no, but if you haven't experienced it yet you're soon going to be confused by AF terminology. You're going to hear the word "disqualifying" associated with your eyesight. To folks outside the AF this word usually means that you're screwed forever. In the AF though, this word means that you need a waiver for the disqualifying condition. This is a very common paperwork thing that basically says that your use of contacts while flying is unlikely to cause a plane to crash. But it is paperwork, and so it can take several weeks to write and get processed. Give yourself some time, and make sure you have it done at an active duty base where people are familiar with the paperwork mechanics and less likely to mess something up.

I'm currently a PGY-1 in a residency but having doubts about my specialty and would like to resign at the completion of my intern year to pursue flight surgery. Is this even a possibility, or would I automatically be sent out as a GMO? I've been told by some that there's a great need for FS; however, I was recently told that I HAD to do at least two years as a GMO before being considered for FS because I had actually matched a residency for my intern year and not taken the route of transitional year. Anyone have any insight into my situation? Much appreciated.

I'm currently a PGY-1 in a residency but having doubts about my specialty and would like to resign at the completion of my intern year to pursue flight surgery. Is this even a possibility, or would I automatically be sent out as a GMO? I've been told by some that there's a great need for FS; however, I was recently told that I HAD to do at least two years as a GMO before being considered for FS because I had actually matched a residency for my intern year and not taken the route of transitional year. Anyone have any insight into my situation? Much appreciated.

Service?

Last edited:

Had a friend who dropped out of the FP program at Travis after their first year. Then after completing the intern year, went to AMP the following July for flight med. Who told you had to do 2 years as a GMO before being allowed to go into Flight Med? The year operational tour before being allowed to "reapply" does not apply to interns going into flight medicine.

Air Force....and maybe I misunderstood. He made it sound like I could request FS, but could still be sent GMO...and if that were the case, then it would be two years before I could reapply to do anything different. I'm just trying to figure out what my chances are before making this big decision, and if there's anything I can do to increase those chances of doing FS...?

Air Force....and maybe I misunderstood. He made it sound like I could request FS, but could still be sent GMO...and if that were the case, then it would be two years before I could reapply to do anything different. I'm just trying to figure out what my chances are before making this big decision, and if there's anything I can do to increase those chances of doing FS...?

The way it has worked for the past couple of years is you would go into flight surgery unless you fail your flight physical (i.e. Disqualified from flying status). If you don't have any medical issues, or history of, you will most likely be going into flight med. We are really hurting for Flight Surgeons throughout the AF

Prior military, now attending MD, Internal Medicine Board Certified. Applying for USAF active duty FS. Is process long, any insight, etc?
Thanks!

Prior military, now attending MD, Internal Medicine Board Certified. Applying for USAF active duty FS. Is process long, any insight, etc?
Thanks!

Thanks!

To answer your question, it will take a minimum of six months but could be much longer depending on who your recruiter is and if you have any medical issues. To be a Flight Surgeon you pretty much can't have anything wrong with you other than maybe seasonal allergies and a few other minor issues.

Your vision must be correctable to 20/20 each eye with spectacles, you can't be color blind, and you must have normal depth perception. When filling out the H&P forms you should not check for example that you once had a headache or heartburn other minor illnesses; it just slows down the process. Of course if you've ever had major head trauma you should put that down, but for example, if you've ever had a Grade III or worse concussion you should mention that, but be warned, that also could mean you might not pass the physical. You also have to send them all your diplomas, transcripts, licenses, board certification certificates, etc. And in your case your prior military DD214, etc.

I would however suggest you think long and hard what your long term career goals are. If it is to wear a uniform then consider the Reserves. You can continue in your specialty but still part of the Air Force.

If you join the Air Force and go into Internal Medicine then your skills will stay relatively current. If however you want to become a Flight Surgeon your IM skills will suffer, greatly. You will be involved in performing physical exam on pilots, pilot-applicants, and other aircrew which involves a lot of administrative paperwork (actually now all on a computer system). The physician is responsible for ALL data entry, you don't hand the paperwork to someone else, you enter it into the systems yourself. You don't face the patient while in the exam room, you sit at a computer and start typing as the patient is speaking.

You should be aware of the fact that JCAHO has gotten much more aggressive requiring that hospitals only grant credentials to physicians with current experience. Therefore you need to have RECENT experience in your specialty. If you spend 3-4 years in Flight Medicine you may have trouble getting privileged when you go back to the civilian world, not to mention you will be way rusty. If you're thinking of doing some IM when you're a Flight Surgeon, forget about it. Your supervisor will plug you into the Flight Surgeon schedule like everyone else and won't let you go work in the IM clinics; they will need you for the Flight Medicine clinic.

Another point; military medicine is in some ways like going back into a residency; there is a vertical chain of command. So if you're coming from the civilian world where you are considered to be on a level playing field with your colleques; not so in the Air Force. Your supervisor could be the biggest dic-head you've ever met, but if you don't suck up to him/her they can ruin your career with one piece of paper. And some of them take great pleasure in having this power, and some abuse it, greatly. Many of the normal physicians get out as soon as they can. What that leaves are the abnormal ones and those who like the power; the ability to step on people at will. We've all met physicians with God complexes; now imagine that same individual with more rank than you; you can be crushed and your career ruined by one wackjob of a physician medical officer.

If you want to wear the uniform you could join the Reserves and still get a taste of it, but the once monthly Reserve thing is really boring for physicians; 100% physicals and minor training, no treatment at all because it is not allowed believe it or not. Any Reservist who is ill is sent to the nearest active duty medical facility or civilian facility.

All in all I would say don't do it; you will lose money (about half), lose your IM knowledge, and find it more difficult to transition back to the civilian world, and more.

It really is not worth it unless like one poster above; if you don't have a residency and just want to have fun for a few years while you figure out what specialty you want. But anymore than a few years is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Holy cow, SmarterNow, what an inaugural post!

And right on target. The Air Force is not a place where any sane physician chooses to stay.

RUN.

I am trying to decide between AF or Navy, I am waiting to talk to an AF recruiter, but I want to be in an branch that will allow me to be a flight surgeon for sure not send me to the ground in Afghanistan and/or Iraq and tell me to work in a Army/Marine hospital where I will have to dispatch with units in combat. I have heard of M.D.s in the Navy going with special forces and SEALs into combat as part of their GMO tour, and even Marines, but that is not of interest to me, but I think I will have a stronger chance of seeing ground action with the Navy than the AF, but the AF has a growing ground force unit that probably is going to need some M.D.s on the ground. I want to serve, but I also want to fly. Is there some kind of signed contract I could make that will make sure I get a flight surgeon billet? Are there any doctors out there who have deployed with units into combat, I mean legit real combat like going on patrol where people have come under fire? Are there any AF flight surgeons or Navy flight surgeons, I would LOVE for your to describe your tours of duty and what kinds of stuff you did.

Thank you for any responses or helpful information, I appreciate it.

Can I be forced to do a residency if I did a 3 year Navy HPSP, like can they not give me a GMO and tell me you have to do a residency?

Can I be forced to do a residency if I did a 3 year Navy HPSP, like can they not give me a GMO and tell me you have to do a residency?

So you probably don't need to post the same thing in every thread.

No, they cannot force you into a residency. There seem to be a number of people that get out asap by doing FS/GMO. However, if you are so anti-military residency and just want to get out asap, you probably aren't going to enjoy your time in uniform. Loans would probably be the better option.

They cannot force you into residency, but they can force you to do a lot of things. If you want the path of least resistance, the military is not it.

Last edited:
So you probably don't need to post the same thing in every thread.

No, they cannot force you into a residency. There seem to be a number of people that get out asap by doing FS/GMO. However, if you are so anti-military residency and just want to get out asap, you probably aren't going to enjoy your time in uniform. Loans would probably be the better option.

They cannot force you into residency, but they can force you to do a lot of things. If you want the path of least resistance, the military is not it.

I want to serve, and I want to serve my doing a GMO, whether that be being a flight surgeon or with a SEALs team. I have always wanted to be in uniform and have dreamed of being a military pilot or at least serving with them since I was a child.

For the forced residency situation, I do not want to be forced to do family medicine when I want to do internal medicine or anesthesiology, so I think I will have a better match rate in the civilian world. Also if you do not mind, can you give examples of "they can force you to do a lot of things." A doctor in the Navy scenario would be good.

I want to serve, and I want to serve my doing a GMO, whether that be being a flight surgeon or with a SEALs team. I have always wanted to be in uniform and have dreamed of being a military pilot or at least serving with them since I was a child.

For the forced residency situation, I do not want to be forced to do family medicine when I want to do internal medicine or anesthesiology, so I think I will have a better match rate in the civilian world. Also if you do not mind, can you give examples of "they can force you to do a lot of things." A doctor in the Navy scenario would be good.

As others have noted, you can be deployed anywhere where the military is deployed including combat zones. A couple posts ago, you said you didn't want to be sent to the ground in Afghanistan/Iraq. You might be sent there. You will not have to fight in combat, but you could potentially be in moderately dangerous situations.

Again, they can't force you to do a residency, so don't worry about being forced into FM.

If you want to fly, both the Navy and AF are good options. Again, in the AF, if you pass a flight physical, you are pretty much going to be a FS. In the Navy, it's a bit more competitive. However, the Navy FS path sounds like you get more flight training (only got that from these forums, don't know for sure), so that might be more of an interest to you. But, it is harder to be a FS than in the AF.

I did not mean to question your desire to join the military. I just read that you were thinking of getting out asap and that you didn't want to be sent to a combat zone. Those were red flags.

Hopefully some more people will jump in and give you some more advice. That's all I've got for you. And much of it has come from these forums so dig around some more.

From what I've read from the HPSP sticky, the air force has the most malignant healthcare heirarchy out of the three branches. That's why I'm planning on going with the Navy if I do HPSP

To answer your question, it will take a minimum of six months but could be much longer depending on who your recruiter is and if you have any medical issues. To be a Flight Surgeon you pretty much can't have anything wrong with you other than maybe seasonal allergies and a few other minor issues.

Your vision must be correctable to 20/20 each eye with spectacles, you can't be color blind, and you must have normal depth perception. When filling out the H&P forms you should not check for example that you once had a headache or heartburn other minor illnesses; it just slows down the process. Of course if you've ever had major head trauma you should put that down, but for example, if you've ever had a Grade III or worse concussion you should mention that, but be warned, that also could mean you might not pass the physical. You also have to send them all your diplomas, transcripts, licenses, board certification certificates, etc. And in your case your prior military DD214, etc.

I would however suggest you think long and hard what your long term career goals are. If it is to wear a uniform then consider the Reserves. You can continue in your specialty but still part of the Air Force.

If you join the Air Force and go into Internal Medicine then your skills will stay relatively current. If however you want to become a Flight Surgeon your IM skills will suffer, greatly. You will be involved in performing physical exam on pilots, pilot-applicants, and other aircrew which involves a lot of administrative paperwork (actually now all on a computer system). The physician is responsible for ALL data entry, you don't hand the paperwork to someone else, you enter it into the systems yourself. You don't face the patient while in the exam room, you sit at a computer and start typing as the patient is speaking.

You should be aware of the fact that JCAHO has gotten much more aggressive requiring that hospitals only grant credentials to physicians with current experience. Therefore you need to have RECENT experience in your specialty. If you spend 3-4 years in Flight Medicine you may have trouble getting privileged when you go back to the civilian world, not to mention you will be way rusty. If you're thinking of doing some IM when you're a Flight Surgeon, forget about it. Your supervisor will plug you into the Flight Surgeon schedule like everyone else and won't let you go work in the IM clinics; they will need you for the Flight Medicine clinic.

Another point; military medicine is in some ways like going back into a residency; there is a vertical chain of command. So if you're coming from the civilian world where you are considered to be on a level playing field with your colleques; not so in the Air Force. Your supervisor could be the biggest dic-head you've ever met, but if you don't suck up to him/her they can ruin your career with one piece of paper. And some of them take great pleasure in having this power, and some abuse it, greatly. Many of the normal physicians get out as soon as they can. What that leaves are the abnormal ones and those who like the power; the ability to step on people at will. We've all met physicians with God complexes; now imagine that same individual with more rank than you; you can be crushed and your career ruined by one wackjob of a physician medical officer.

If you want to wear the uniform you could join the Reserves and still get a taste of it, but the once monthly Reserve thing is really boring for physicians; 100% physicals and minor training, no treatment at all because it is not allowed believe it or not. Any Reservist who is ill is sent to the nearest active duty medical facility or civilian facility.

All in all I would say don't do it; you will lose money (about half), lose your IM knowledge, and find it more difficult to transition back to the civilian world, and more.

It really is not worth it unless like one poster above; if you don't have a residency and just want to have fun for a few years while you figure out what specialty you want. But anymore than a few years is a waste of time.

Welcome Smarter Now. You will find this forum a good place to vent, though you may get kickback from what I like to call malignant cheerleaders, or young enthusiatic naive medical students or residents who really do not know what they've gotten themselves into.

To not totally hijack. I agree with everything Smarter Now said. Do not sell yourself to the military 100%. Consider reserve or ANG options.

best of luck

Hey,

Thanks.

So I'm a special ops Flight surgeon...basically if you put your name down on the dream sheet for this, and nothing else you stand a low chance of getting it. You should already know by now because the process does not really follow the selection. It's more about making phone calls and talking to the right people. Contact AFSOC HQ and start bugging them. PM me if you need some contact info.

I am trying to decide between AF or Navy, I am waiting to talk to an AF recruiter, but I want to be in an branch that will allow me to be a flight surgeon for sure not send me to the ground in Afghanistan and/or Iraq and tell me to work in a Army/Marine hospital where I will have to dispatch with units in combat. I have heard of M.D.s in the Navy going with special forces and SEALs into combat as part of their GMO tour, and even Marines, but that is not of interest to me, but I think I will have a stronger chance of seeing ground action with the Navy than the AF, but the AF has a growing ground force unit that probably is going to need some M.D.s on the ground. I want to serve, but I also want to fly. Is there some kind of signed contract I could make that will make sure I get a flight surgeon billet? Are there any doctors out there who have deployed with units into combat, I mean legit real combat like going on patrol where people have come under fire? Are there any AF flight surgeons or Navy flight surgeons, I would LOVE for your to describe your tours of duty and what kinds of stuff you did.

Thank you for any responses or helpful information, I appreciate it.

If you want to join the AF you ask for a Flight Surgeon billet when talking to the recruiter; he will set you up to have a flight physical which you must pass before you are accepted into Flight Surgeon training. If you for some reason fail the Flight Surgeon training (almost never happens unless you are unstable mentally or just a complete screw up) I believe they will let you out of your contract, but check with the recruiter; these policies change from time to time.
Once you are a Flight Surgeon you will be assigned to base somewhere in the world and likely would not deploy anywhere overseas for awhile(unless specops); but if they are short of bodies you could be sent in the first six months, but for sure you will not be sent anywhere where you would be involved in ground combat.

As things are winding down in Iraq and soon in Afghanistan I would say at most you might get a TDY (temporary duty assignment) at one of the clinics in Afghanistan which are located on very large bases. These rarely receive incoming fire (rockets) and if there is the rare attack from a few unguided rockets the bases are so large the chances of getting injured are extremely remote.

Air Force Special Operations has their own selection process; it's not really written down anywhere. If you really want it you can tell the recruiter that you won't join unless you get a Special Operations Flight Surgeon billet (assignment). Period; and stick to your guns. He will send your background information to AFSOC and they will decide if they want you or not. If you are a Type A, looking for action, a hard worker, a good clinician and in excellent physical shape and request it you will have a better chance of getting the assignment than if you are an out of shape lazy slug. You don't have to be a Triathelete but you can't be the typical pudgy doc either. You will deploy frequently but still most likely you will be located at an airbase maybe somewhere in Afghanistan, or some other remote location for exercises with another country.

The clinical side of AF special operations in the field is often not all the exciting, just treating URI's and the occasional muscle sprain; a small laceration repair is a rarety and the IDMT's (Independent Duty Medical Technitions) will fight you to fix that. IDMT's are like an extended paramedic with military specific trauma training as well as very basic diagnosis and treatment education; they can perform basic exams and dispense medications in the field.

About the Navy; all medical care for the Marines is provided by the Navy, and Navy corpmen are assigned to Marine expeditionary units. Rarely a Navy physician might also be attached, but usually at a higher level of care, so you wouldn't be going on patrol with the Leathernecks but may be working at a small clinic at a FOB (Forward Operating Base). If you join the Navy as a Flight Surgeon you probably would deploy with the unit you are assigned to, most likely on board an aircraft carrier.

Forget about the SEALS. They use medics (techs) in the field who are also fully trained SEALS and only rarely is a physician anywhere near where they go in the field; if so that physician would most likely be on a submarine or a large ship; they would not be parachuting or swimming in with the SEALS on a mission.

The best way to get close to the action if that is what you want is to ask an Army recruiter if you could enlist as a Medic (not a medical officer/physician); a few physicians have done this. You would not be an officer, you would go through boot camp with the 19 year olds then enter training as a Medic ie: basic medical skills training. One of those is the 18D MOS (military occupational speciality code); do a Google search on that if it interests you. As an 18D(Delta) you could deploy to the mountains of Afghanistan and go on patrol and you would carry a weapon and be expected to shoot back. If anyone in the patrol is hit you would be the guy who jumps up and runs to help the injured trooper when you hear the words "medic up!!" . Before you consider talking to a recruiter about this make sure you are in excellent physical shape; ie: something like 40+ push-ups, 40+ sit-ups minimum in one minute, be able to run 1 ½ miles in under say 14 minutes, and not have any fat on you; that would show him that you are serious about it. Actually, this applies to any of the services today; gone is the day of the pudgy doc who doesn't have to work out; you will have to pass a PT test just like everyone else.

To recap: Air Force would not get you anywhere near combat except maybe in rare situations such as if assigned to a civilian/military PRT (Provincial Reconstruction Team) in Afghanistan. Navy docs may see some action if you get assigned to a forward deployed Marine unit or FOB. Army physicians and medics are more likely to see real no kidding bullets and bombs on the battlefield. But in all cases it depends on your abilities and desires; if you push to get to the front lines and your bosses think you can handle it physically, mentally, clinically, then you are more likely to get what you ask for.

Last edited:
Just wondering from the above posts, do new incoming AF Reserve FS have to go through the full SERE traning? or is it a watered down form? I've heard conflicting things.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Just wondering from the above posts, do new incoming AF Reserve FS have to go through the full SERE traning? or is it a watered down form? I've heard conflicting things.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated

There is no more watered-down version of SERE. They cancelled it last year. From what I understand, everyone gets the full montie from here on in. Hope you like cold weather and beatings.