Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was selected for H'ville as well.

:horns:

Rock on. H'ville, B'ham, Tuscaloosa.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an acceptance letter in my inbox! :-D

FYI, here are my stats:

Interviewed 11/30
Accepted 2/7

check mdapp profile 6033 for stats.

What were your options eerapido? BHM only? Also, where were you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw online that I am OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED and have been assigned to BIRMINGHAM Campus! FINALLY I'm done! By the way, I put BHM only as my option.

It's official! Bham it is. I only put Bham as well, 'cause I'm old and have a couple of little weasels to worry about and care for (that would be my children). I also have a big weasel (that would be my husband) who is employed in the city and I would like to see him every now and then to, you know, stay married and all.

I'm excited about meeting my future partners in crime! We'll have to plan a little pre-orientation party.

I hope everyone is happy with their assignments. :D

I interviewed at UAB in Nov but have yet to hear anything. I noticed someone was accepted last night so I logged on to the secondary page this morning and it still said the same thing (interview complete - awaiting decisions or something like that). I just logged back on to see if anything had changed and now it looks like my secondary has been reset. It gives me the screen that we had at the beginning where we can choose to complete the secondary now, later, or not at all. Is anyone else having any problems like this? Should I be worried?

I interviewed at UAB in Nov but have yet to hear anything. I noticed someone was accepted last night so I logged on to the secondary page this morning and it still said the same thing (interview complete - awaiting decisions or something like that). I just logged back on to see if anything had changed and now it looks like my secondary has been reset. It gives me the screen that we had at the beginning where we can choose to complete the secondary now, later, or not at all. Is anyone else having any problems like this? Should I be worried?

Call them. They are really really nice. :) They can probably give you a better answer as to whats going on than anyone here can.

Got in last night as well. For those people who got Bham by putting Bham only did you have to resubmit your choice again. I resubmitted Bham only but then was pretty much told to give a second and third choice as well.

Got in last night as well. For those people who got Bham by putting Bham only did you have to resubmit your choice again. I resubmitted Bham only but then was pretty much told to give a second and third choice as well.

Congratulations! Also, when did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
What the heck!?

I'm the only one not getting their campus assignment? =)

Did it update it on the webpage BEFORE you got the letter? Let me know!

~J

Aren't you applying MD/PHD? That's probably the hold up. I haven't received my letter. Just said on status page.

Anyone here interview in October (I was the 19th) that still hasn't heard anything? Because that would describe me.

I think I know a friend who interviewed at UAB in Nov and still hasn't heard anything.

What the heck!?

~J

Status page - no fat envelope yet. Hang in there....:cool:

What the heck!?

~J

Yes, status page, J.

I did receive the packet, but I am going to school outside of AL right now. So, UASOM sent to it to my address in AL, my family sent the packet to me a few days ago. It should arrive here today or tomorrow.

:horns:

good luck to all the mstps!! I, however am MD/MPH, not phd. I don't think we have a set campus.

Hey I know this is somewhat removed for some of you who are already accepted, congragulations to all by the way, but I was wondering when you got your secondary applications. The pre-professional comittee at my school dosen't meet until late september and I was wondering if that will hold up my application. Thanks

Hey I know this is somewhat removed for some of you who are already accepted, congragulations to all by the way, but I was wondering when you got your secondary applications. The pre-professional comittee at my school dosen't meet until late september and I was wondering if that will hold up my application. Thanks
I never actually got an email about the secondary. I was getting impatient b/c it had a due date, so I just went on there and filled it out. Late september will be fine...I think you can actually complete the secondary before your recs have been received by them, but you may want to check on that to make sure.

I am an undergraduate at UAB.

From being an avid lurker here for quite some time, I believe this is going to be fun....

Peter

Does anyone know whether UAB has chosen to keep Anatomy with cadavers? Also, when does UAB stop interviewing. My friend wanted to know.

I'm MD/MPH what concentration are you pursuing:D

Yo! I have questions for you:

1) how did you apply? I kinda had to rig an application with Sue Chappelle. I don't think I did it very formally.

2) Have you been accepted to the MPH part? the MD part? I've only been accepted to the latter.

3) I'm Epi. What about you?

-----

Rabbit: they stop interviewing March 15th. So, a month. As far as I know, we won't be cutting on cadavers. =(

I got an acceptance email, but when I try to login to the site (secondary application website), it doesn't recognize me. Anyone else having this problem?

I got an acceptance email, but when I try to login to the site (secondary application website), it doesn't recognize me. Anyone else having this problem?

I've been having trouble logging in too. I think there's something wrong with the site.

Does anyone know whether UAB has chosen to keep Anatomy with cadavers? Also, when does UAB stop interviewing. My friend wanted to know.

I think the higher ups, like the dean and all, know that information, but as of about 3 weeks ago I spoke to one of the anatomy professors and he said that none of them knew what was going to happen. So, if the anatomy instructors don't know yet, who knows what's going on? :) I hope they do though, it's a very valuable experience.

I heard no cadavers ... but, nothing for sure.

well, i'm on the WL for the Birmingham's MSTP. It's not a bad place to be...definitely better than the rejection pile. I'm trying to stay optimistic.

well, i'm on the WL for the Birmingham's MSTP. It's not a bad place to be...definitely better than the rejection pile. I'm trying to stay optimistic.

When can you find out? They stop interviewing for everything come March 15th I think.

When can you find out? They stop interviewing for everything come March 15th I think.
they are all done interviewing, as of the 1st week in april. i went for my interview back in january. they said the people they offered admission to have until april 15 to commit, so that would be about the time when i would hear back from them (although potentially i could hear before then).

Okay....so I've placed my deposit at both USA and UAB. When/how do I tell one of them that I'm officially going there and the other one I'm not?

About to interview for UASOM on the 22nd. Any advice/tips from the pros (you guys) for the interview?? Any and all tips/advice/help are greatly appreciated.

About to interview for UASOM on the 22nd. Any advice/tips from the pros (you guys) for the interview?? Any and all tips/advice/help are greatly appreciated.

Just be yourself...it sounds cliche but it's the truth. They're really friendly at UASOM and you should be comfortable.

When do schools send out things like financial aid packages and other stuff that needs to be done before school starts, like papers that tell us about vaccinations and stuff like that? Are UAB people expecting to get that when they get their acceptance packets in the mail? With USA, they sent their acceptances in the mail, but there wasn't really a packet. It was just a letter and a thing to fill out about a background check. When should we expect to hear back from them? I'm getting kind of paranoid about missing some important mailing!

Hi all you fine Alabamans,

I'm interviewing on the 22nd, and I was wondering what you all think is the best way to get from the Birmingham airport to UAB? I'm staying at a hotel close to camps, and being from out of state, I have no idea what my best bet is. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

hey dr.inviz...

the only advice i can give is just to be relaxed. i found that most of the interviews were not very stressful. on my interview day, the dean gave a talk in the morning about the program and the interview day, and he stressed letting them know ASAP if your interviewer asks inappropriate questions. however, all the interviewers i had were very nice and asked pretty typical med school interview questions...nothing out of the ordinary. good :luck:, and PM me if you need more details!

Hi all you fine Alabamans,

I'm interviewing on the 22nd, and I was wondering what you all think is the best way to get from the Birmingham airport to UAB? I'm staying at a hotel close to camps, and being from out of state, I have no idea what my best bet is. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
are you staying at the doubletree? i think they have a free shuttle that will pick you up from the airport. if it's a different hotel, just check with them and they will probably be able to help arrange something.

are you staying at the doubletree? i think they have a free shuttle that will pick you up from the airport. if it's a different hotel, just check with them and they will probably be able to help arrange something.

No, I'm staying at the Medical Center Inn (which after reading more might be somewhat ill-advised, but it's already booked). I called them, and they were absolutely useless. No free shuttle, either.

No, I'm staying at the Medical Center Inn (which after reading more might be somewhat ill-advised, but it's already booked). I called them, and they were absolutely useless. No free shuttle, either.

Medical center inn is about .25 mile from volker hall. I stayed there, and just walked to the interview. There's a waffle house attached too! That said, it is NOT a nice hotel, and if the reading you're referring to is in the interview feedback, that's my comment about the suspected bed bugs :) I wouldn't go roaming around that area at night either. However, like I said, it's a short walk to volker in the morning, so it's not all bad. As far as how to get there is concerned, Get on I20/59 and head to I-65. Take I-65 south to exit 259 (University Blvd.) and get off there. Head east on uni. blvd. and the med center inn is a few blocks up on the right, you'll see the waffle house if nothing else. Volker hall is a few blocks further east, on the left. It's just after you go past the big children's hospital parking lot. You can go up the stairs on the left side of the bldg, but you'll probably be past them by the time you realize it's the right place, so you can also take a little door at street level (there's a bunch of steel grating on the sidewalk at that point, you can't miss it). That door just leads to an elevator, and you can take that elevator up to the main floor. There'll be signs inside pointing you where to go. Let me know if you need any clarification!

hey dr.inviz...

the only advice i can give is just to be relaxed. i found that most of the interviews were not very stressful. on my interview day, the dean gave a talk in the morning about the program and the interview day, and he stressed letting them know ASAP if your interviewer asks inappropriate questions. however, all the interviewers i had were very nice and asked pretty typical med school interview questions...nothing out of the ordinary. good :luck:, and PM me if you need more details!

Sounds great. I was curious as to how much of a role stats play even though one has received an interview for UASOM (in terms of final decisions of acceptance, waitlist, rejection). Also, how did you guys sign up for the MD/MPH program? I don't recall seeing that option, or maybe I didn't notice it ...

*bump* for ASAP response.