Alaskan Native adopted by Asian family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist420

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an Alaskan Native (specifically Inuit) who was adopted by a Chinese family, and so I was given a Chinese name. Although I plan on checking the Native American box, I am worried that Dental schools will doubt the veracity of my ancestry, as my people (the Inuit) do look like East Asians. Do I have anything to worry about? Do I have to prove my ancestry?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. How far along are you before applying? Obviously you are aware of your unique circumstances and identity. I would be prepared if you have that documentation, but I would encourage you to reach out first to students and schools before you apply. You shouldn't have to furnish any proof during the application process, but it might be asked after you commit to enroll. Only the schools and their student affairs and diversity officers can tell you.

Hello. How far along are you before applying? Obviously you are aware of your unique circumstances and identity. I would be prepared if you have that documentation, but I would encourage you to reach out first to students and schools before you apply. You shouldn't have to furnish any proof during the application process, but it might be asked after you commit to enroll. Only the schools and their student affairs and diversity officers can tell you.
Hello, I do not have any documentation. I have not started the application process yet.

I live in a state with a high Native American population. You only have to prove ancestry if you are claiming to be a tribal member or if you are trying to get a scholarship based on your Native American ancestry.

If I were you, I would try to get a certificate of Indian Blood. It will open a lot of doors for you, especially in regards to grants and scholarships.

That being said, if you are 1/4 indian Blood or less, then I would not claim to be Native American on your application. I am 1/4 Native American and I don't put that demographic down anywhere because I am not a tribal member and neither was my mother. It is almost impossible to get a CIB if neither of your parents were tribal members.