Albany Med vs UBuff vs Wake Forest SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolhopeful!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to 3 schools. I am struggling with even approaching how to make a decision. I am from New York. I live about 6 hours from buffalo. I live 1 hour from Albany. I would have to take a plane to NC. I am pretty versatile and okay with living near or far from home. There will obviously be a cost difference between Buffalo's in-state tuition and Albany/Wake Forest. I am not sure what I will want to specialize in (I love cardiology but I really enjoy all parts of medicine and I know that most people change their minds while in Med school)

I would love input on what you all see as pros/cons to these schools and ultimately, what your choice would be. I also would love to hear any advice on what factors I should really focus on as I am now having to look more closely at each of the schools.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have some pros and cons for each school ? How does the cost differential look? Grading schemes, curriculum comparison ? Is research important to you ?

Albany and WFSOM are both low-tier MDs, so not worth the cost of OOS tuition when you have in-state acceptance. Go in-state in this case.

Reactions: 1 user
WFSOM is consistently T50 @MongutheDoggy (quite literally making it "top" tier if you're dividing the 150 USMD schools into 3 tiers). Wake is the best school of the 3, however, I do agree that a marginal prestige difference is not worth the extra $15k/year. Especially since Buffalo is ~T80 and it is closer to family. I would say that would be Albany the lowest on my list of the 3 because it has high cost and low prestige.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I'd be swayed toward the most prestigious of the three, Wake, with the cost differential I'd go with Buffalo. Fwiw, Buffalo is a better school than Albany and will get you anywhere you want to do be provided you put in the effort

Reactions: 2 users