All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yay for kitty and yay for your wallet! :laugh:

No but really, glad to hear she is doing better! :love:
Thanks felinelvr44!!! She's still vomiting though so it's still not completely in the clear yet and the vet thinks that there a tiny chance that she could still have lymphoma but not likely given how much things have improved. I feel bad for the clinic though because they cleared their entire morning schedule for my cat's surgery and now people are just looking for stuff to do but sooooooooooooooooo relieved and happy for my cat.

Members don't see this ad.

Mowgli went to the vet today as hes dropped amost 100g since March. Physical exam doesn't really give any idicators except that he has a slight slant to his bottom incisors. The vet I saw today feels the right side of his face may be asymmetrical ( mainly right nostril is slightly larger) so it might be an issue with his cheek teeth. They didn't look obviously slanted so it might be more along the lines of elongated roots.

Really wondering if that's the case because that is always the side that also occasionally has clear discharge when he sneezes. Hopefully the meds help so that I know for sure that xrays are the next step.

I think my big cat stupidly got something stuck in her throat. Waiting for the vet to get here to take look. Hoping she just irritated it trying to swallow a bug or something. She was retching and now she's swallowing over and over. Can't see anything stuck in there. Might see rads in our future. Good thing she's only the evilest cat ever...

Edit: Never mind, she has magically cured herself! Probably just had a bug that was refusing to go down.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
409387_10200245000275494_782499254_n.jpg

Well, he is a deerhead, so it's only fitting. :p

Finally found my new doggie friend. I get to bring him home Sunday or Monday after he's been neutered and I'm back from my wedding.

congrats on the new puppy! but, um, your wedding??

Hahahaha. Whoops. Meant my friends wedding.

haha. I was really sitting here thinking about what I had missed or maybe was I confusing you with someone else and wasn't sure if I should say something and sound silly...

there is seriously nothing better then snuggling with a guinea piggy and feeling the warm, soft furn around your neck with ticklely whiskers, a velvety soft nose and an itty bitty tongue checking out your face and giving you kisses :love:

Here's my new man!!

1043939_622120504472988_863530305_n.jpg

Him with his step brother, Hawk (the pembroke)

1017658_10151668296999501_1511730610_n.jpg

ETA: Not sure what is going on with Hawk's eye there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have tips for stopping a dog from bolting out the door especially since he doesn't know his name yet (working on that) and is just starting to learn sit. I'd like to teach him "mat" or something along those lines where he goes and sits on a mat until he is given the release command, but I think that's too complicated at this point.

He's already managed to escape once, and our other dog will follow him out. You can at least get the one back inside with "cookie" which probably isn't the best way to do it, but it works for now. I'm just worried because my dad isn't a huge animal person, so he kind of forgets that they are always following you around and that he might not react quickly enough to grab them or not really know how to catch them if they start taking off.

Anyone have tips for stopping a dog from bolting out the door especially since he doesn't know his name yet (working on that) and is just starting to learn sit. I'd like to teach him "mat" or something along those lines where he goes and sits on a mat until he is given the release command, but I think that's too complicated at this point.

He's already managed to escape once, and our other dog will follow him out. You can at least get the one back inside with "cookie" which probably isn't the best way to do it, but it works for now. I'm just worried because my dad isn't a huge animal person, so he kind of forgets that they are always following you around and that he might not react quickly enough to grab them or not really know how to catch them if they start taking off.

I got my puppy when she was 15 weeks old. Within 2 weeks she was "door" trained(she still sometimes gets overexcited and will bolt, but not usually). She won't go in or out of a door unless told she can.

Everytime we went potty outside, I made her sit in front of the door while I held it open and stepped outside/inside. The commands I use are "come on" "In you go" "out you go". They are all pretty much in the same tone of voice. I use it for getting in and out of the car, also to keep from bolting in the street. Treats, treats, and lots of praise when they do it right!

Right now, I can walk out of the house, to the end of the sidewalk and look back, she is literally wagging around with butt on the floor just waiting for me to say "come on". :thumbup:

It also has helped immensely in strange places she doesn't want to enter.
She caught on pretty quickly, though. Sit was the first command she learned. Helps with learning other commands.

Penny is being super quiet tonight. Very unusual for her. And she wasn't being a brat for food or come scrambling up for lettuce. Weird. Shee seems otherwise fine and ate the lettuce in my lap, but i'm so scared something's wrong. Of course we're getting ready to go away for a few days and then she's staying with my family for 2 weeks while I'm away. :cry:

My cat, Libby, is further along in renal failure than the vets initially thought :( She has a mass on her face that may or may not be malignant :( She might not make it to the end of the year and she is only 7. I'm devastated. She is my best friend. We've been through so much together and I love her so much. I don't even know what to do right now :cry:

My cat, Libby, is further along in renal failure than the vets initially thought :( She has a mass on her face that may or may not be malignant :( She might not make it to the end of the year and she is only 7. I'm devastated. She is my best friend. We've been through so much together and I love her so much. I don't even know what to do right now :cry:

I'm very sorry :(

Thanks. The vet thinks if the mass can be completely removed and we can get her values stabilized she can live comfortably for 6 months to a year. It was such a shock, her blood work last year was perfect.

Netherland Dwarf Rabbit - Bentley
Norweigan Forest Cat - Sammy
Domestic Shorthair - TikTak:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Attachments

• bentley.jpg
    bentley.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 42
  • sammy.jpg
    sammy.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 36
  • tiky.jpg
    tiky.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 31
Hey everyone I am a new member -- I just started reading through threads a few days ago. Anyways I am one of those "giant dog" people so here are my two boys...

Magnus the harlequin great dane who is my show dog now one year and Bear the black is my foster failure Newfoundland x Great Dane cross (bad BYBs).

Looking forward to getting to know you all and thank you for all the great information posted in this forum! :)

Everyone loves a baby picture...
2s0d1l5.jpg

Magnus now...
21kdys3.jpg

Here's Bear a couple months ago (5mos?) The newfie started coming out and he now has wavy hair all down his back.
2md0v9y.jpg

and of course baby Bear 9wks...
efpd3t.jpg

I also have a Bearded Dragon named Draco... he is NINE years old now (I got him as a teeny tiny hatchling)
2d97bqf.jpg

s6sidd.jpg

Might be adding another piggy to my group. One of the vets I work with has 5 and she's decided it's too many, especially since the one female is possibly pregnant. I offered to take her male piggy home with me and see if he gets along with either of mine.

I am pleased to introduce the newest member of the Lab Rat household....................

Tree Trunks (affectionately named after my favorite cartoon character)
1 y/o male hedgehog who will be coming with me when I move to PEI. He's a very sweet hedgie and insisted on licking my fingers and crawling on my hand when I first met him.

TreeTrunks.jpg

Better pictures to come once he gets settled in.

I am pleased to introduce the newest member of the Lab Rat household....................

Tree Trunks (affectionately named after my favorite cartoon character)
1 y/o male hedgehog who will be coming with me when I move to PEI. He's a very sweet hedgie and insisted on licking my fingers and crawling on my hand when I first met him.

TreeTrunks.jpg

Better pictures to come once he gets settled in.

You're killing me. I want a hedgie soo badly.

I switched my piggies over to a new brand of timothy pellets that I read online seems to have cut back on the number of calcium deposits other piggy owners have seen in their cages. I'm pleased to say that it seems to be working. After cleaning Solstice's cage yesterday, I noticed two deposits today (and only one was really thick) when normally there are many more.

Only bummer is that the pellets cost me close to $30 with shipping because they come from Washington I believe. Might see if a local pet shop by school can order it for a slightly cheaper price for me. If not, it's not a huge deal since a 10lb bag lasts a long time.

I'm curious how you all feel about feeding dogs a raw food diet? I have heard folks talk about it, especially with bigger dogs (we have 3, but only one large breed--a pry/anatolian cross). I know some folks do raw feeding for their cats too.

I have too many animals to post pics. We have goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, one cat, and 3 dogs. I'm hoping to get accepted at my IS because then we won't have to move.

I'm curious how you all feel about feeding dogs a raw food diet? I have heard folks talk about it, especially with bigger dogs (we have 3, but only one large breed--a pry/anatolian cross). I know some folks do raw feeding for their cats too.

I have too many animals to post pics. We have goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, one cat, and 3 dogs. I'm hoping to get accepted at my IS because then we won't have to move.

For me: I know I will never have the time, nor the money to properly feed a complete balanced raw diet.

I feel the bolded word is the most important part. So many people do it, but don't do it properly, and it ends up being worse for the dog than being on generic store brand kibble.

That's exactly why I haven't done it. Mine get raw treats, but still get dry food.

For me: I know I will never have the time, nor the money to properly feed a complete balanced raw diet.

I feel the bolded word is the most important part. So many people do it, but don't do it properly, and it ends up being worse for the dog than being on generic store brand kibble.

This is my issue with them as well. Actually got into an argument with someone about this because they were twisting my words and saying that I believed you shouldn't do them at all. If you're going to try it, just make sure its been balanced and is tailored to the specifics of your dog. I also don't like the increased risk of contamination associated with them, but I'm not going to tell someone they should never do it.

The arguing about them is why I asked here. I'd like to hear pros and cons, not just rhetoric by someone that is a big supporter of the diet.

The arguing about them is why I asked here. I'd like to hear pros and cons, not just rhetoric by someone that is a big supporter of the diet.

I honestly haven't done much research into them to be able to give you a nice list. All I really know is what I heard from a lunch or dinner talk in vet school. I browsed VIN very briefly once to see if I could find the sources used in the talk to back up my argument but unfortunately I don't remember what they were now and I don't think you can post things from VIN elsewhere.

The lunch talk really stressed the need for the diet to be balanced according to the needs of your pet and that the bacteria from the raw meats remains present in bowls. etc even after washing in dishwashers and whatnot. There were even some news articles of a family's young child dying due to food poisoning from being licked or something along those lines from the family dog that was on a raw food diet. Not sure how frequently deaths lile that happen but there were a few reports mentioned.

It was a tad chilly this morning. My older cat has neurotic issues and can't walk very well, and can't jump at all. I have a special bed for her on the floor next to my bed. I woke up this morning, looked down and she was twitching every few seconds. :( I thought maybe she was cold, since she just got shaved a couple weeks ago. Put her on my bed and put a blanket on her and she promptly went to sleep and has been there for the last 5 hours. :love:

1000307_10103425929666420_536293530_n.jpg

I found blue heeler puppies on the side of the road for free - I asked the guy if they have been seen by a vet, obviously the answer was no. I'm really involved at my local shelter and have seen all the nasty things some of the non-vaccinated puppies have that get brought in from the same situation (parvo for example). It was hard but I'm not ready for a puppy just yet, I just moved to a new apartment etc.
What would you guys have done?
It broke my heart but there's a limit to what one can offer and I'm a firm believer that people shouldn't own pets they cant afford or put the necessary time into.

I honestly haven't done much research into them to be able to give you a nice list. All I really know is what I heard from a lunch or dinner talk in vet school. I browsed VIN very briefly once to see if I could find the sources used in the talk to back up my argument but unfortunately I don't remember what they were now and I don't think you can post things from VIN elsewhere.

The lunch talk really stressed the need for the diet to be balanced according to the needs of your pet and that the bacteria from the raw meats remains present in bowls. etc even after washing in dishwashers and whatnot. There were even some news articles of a family's young child dying due to food poisoning from being licked or something along those lines from the family dog that was on a raw food diet. Not sure how frequently deaths lile that happen but there were a few reports mentioned.

This.

Raw food diets increase the risk of salmonella to your pet and to you. Your pet often doesn't show clinical signs. The AVMA has recently come out against raw food diets so I urge you to look there - I think they have sources listed. There are very few animals I personally believe raw food is appropriate for. And when you factor in human health concerns that drops even further for me.

Lots of great information here, thank you all. I really like to have research to back up my position on raw food, so this is a great start. I'll post the link in case anyone else is interested in looking it over. https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Raw-Pet-Foods-and-the-AVMA-Policy-FAQ.aspx

This particular point stuck out to me, "Raw food advocates also contend that the diet more closely resembles what dogs' and cats' ancestors ate, but this does not account for the evolutionary, biological and dietary changes that have accompanied domestication to produce the pet dogs and cats that currently share our lives."

I see this more often than I'd like with small livestock producers. They wonder why their dairy animal gets sick or loses weight on a grass/pasture based diet only. Not taking into account that commercial grass-fed dairy animals have been bred to function on that feed system, and the animals that they are buying have been bred up to a higher production level that requires grain feed. That's a whole different story though.

Clipping the nails of an uncooperative hedgehog is proving to be a difficult task. 2/4 done.

Lots of great information here, thank you all. I really like to have research to back up my position on raw food, so this is a great start. I'll post the link in case anyone else is interested in looking it over. https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/Raw-Pet-Foods-and-the-AVMA-Policy-FAQ.aspx

This particular point stuck out to me, "Raw food advocates also contend that the diet more closely resembles what dogs’ and cats’ ancestors ate, but this does not account for the evolutionary, biological and dietary changes that have accompanied domestication to produce the pet dogs and cats that currently share our lives."

I see this more often than I'd like with small livestock producers. They wonder why their dairy animal gets sick or loses weight on a grass/pasture based diet only. Not taking into account that commercial grass-fed dairy animals have been bred to function on that feed system, and the animals that they are buying have been bred up to a higher production level that requires grain feed. That's a whole different story though.

Very true. I read the actual study that was done recently about amylase expression in dogs compared to wolves. This is pancreatic amylase, not salivary, but it's still used to breakdown starches. I think the gene was found seven times more in the dogs' genome than in wolves and was expressed something like 28x more. I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was something crazy like that. Also someone recently posted something about a study at UC Davis that looked at either 200 or 400 homemade diets, I believe both cooked and raw, for animals and found that most of them were unbalanced. Only about half a dozen were balanced and they were from veterinary nutritionists. I don't know where you live, but your vet school may have a nutritionist on staff. Your best bet is to get their opinion (most will probably advise against it), but if you really want to do it, then they can help you make sure your diet is balanced at the macro and micro-nutrient levels. I know there are people that are very anti-dry dog food. I will admit I'm a Purina rep, but I have been impressed with the research that goes into their diets. In fact there's a research behind them, Iams, Hill's, and Royal Canin. The problem is, much of it contains trade secrets so it's not published. That part makes me sad, but I feel better recommending foods where I know a good amount of testing has been done before it goes on the market.

Very true. I read the actual study that was done recently about amylase expression in dogs compared to wolves. This is pancreatic amylase, not salivary, but it's still used to breakdown starches. I think the gene was found seven times more in the dogs' genome than in wolves and was expressed something like 28x more. I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was something crazy like that. Also someone recently posted something about a study at UC Davis that looked at either 200 or 400 homemade diets, I believe both cooked and raw, for animals and found that most of them were unbalanced. Only about half a dozen were balanced and they were from veterinary nutritionists. I don't know where you live, but your vet school may have a nutritionist on staff. Your best bet is to get their opinion (most will probably advise against it), but if you really want to do it, then they can help you make sure your diet is balanced at the macro and micro-nutrient levels. I know there are people that are very anti-dry dog food. I will admit I'm a Purina rep, but I have been impressed with the research that goes into their diets. In fact there's a research behind them, Iams, Hill's, and Royal Canin. The problem is, much of it contains trade secrets so it's not published. That part makes me sad, but I feel better recommending foods where I know a good amount of testing has been done before it goes on the market.

The last part is what I tell any client that asks me about food.

I'm personally not interested in it, because honestly, I don't have the time to devote to it. Between work, school, and kids, it's not something I feel I can give adequate time to researching, formulating, and testing to give them a balanced diet. I just like getting opinions (and discussing with others with a bit more of a scientific mind), because I have people that are so outspoken about advocating such a diet. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the opinions I hear advocating it are usually supported by anecdotal evidence, and not actual science--which is always an issue for me. I just wish more people understood that domestication followed by years of selective breeding means that their are different needs between dogs vs wolves (or even livestock and their wild counterparts).

I love Purina. I actually feed Purina Noble Goat Dairy parlor to my dairy goat gals. Hands down, the best most consistent dairy feed for them, and I know how much work goes into formulating their foods.

kd7ANNS.jpg

J5bUbro.jpg

Rottens and I went to the beach today. We got rained out, but they had a blast!

So guys, this may sound silly, but my cat is what inspired me to become a vet. I posted this story in another thread, but here it is:

Growing up I had a few pets, and have always loved animals, but was unable to interact with them as much as I would have liked. My dad always insisted on keeping the dogs outside, almost all the time, and we only had one cat growing up when I was very young. So, it wasn't until recently that I experienced the joys of being a true pet owner.

My cat's name is Sophie, and she's the sweetest cat in the world. When I found her she was being neglected by my parent's neighbor, a M.D., and she was meowing and rubbing up against my leg when I noticed an abscess on her tail from where a dog maimed her. I went to the neighbor's practice to see if I could get permission to take Sophie to the vet, because her tail looked infected. After negotiating with the M.D. for a bit, he finally said that I could take her and keep her. Sophie was about 6 months old at the time, and I had no idea but she had never even been to the vet. Her tail was infected to the point that if I had waited a week longer to take her to the vet she may have died. She had worms, giardia, a abscess on her tail, and ear mites. All I could think was, how could an M.D. have such disregard for a living thing. After about 2 months of treatment she finally got better with medicine, love and care. That's when I decided that this is what I wanted to do.

Silly or not, it changed me.ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1375306623.884695.jpgImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1375306678.267628.jpg

Okay I need help. I have a foster puppy who is on cage rest except for potty breaks and I'm having trouble potty training her. I feed her on schedule and wait 15-30 min after each meal to take her out. I cannot walk her cause she has a fractured leg so we just stand in the same grass patch every time. I don't do anything but wait cause I want her to know that when she goes potty is when she gets pets and loves and praises and I want potty done when we get outside. Nope nope she prefers going in her crate. Found two poops in there by noon. Please any tips !?

I guess I have a new kitty now, and should probably post her. :D

wr1LaFz.jpg

Still working on a name, but the current placeholder (and what will probably end up being her real name) is Tesla. She showed up at my parents' house about a month ago - no microchip, no tags, no response to the dozen signs we put up or petharbor or craigslist ads. She's super talkative, super adorable, and might actually be able to get me up in time for morning classes, hehe.