All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seconding what JMO said. I definitely don't regret getting a second piggy because it eventually worked out (and it wasn't my original pig who was being temperamental) but be aware that if things fall through, it might be helpful to have a second cage at hand. CavySpirit.com, I think, has a wonderful page on piggy introductions too. If you do decide to get her a cage mate, another female or a neutered male would work.

And if you don't mind, I have a few cage suggestions to help minimize potential fights if you do get a second piggy. I'd remove the divider grid on the left and the one underneath the upper level. I only recommend taking our the divider grid because it creates an extra corner where a piggy can get cornered and feel trapped by a cage mate. Use them both (and you will need a few extra grids) and extend the upper level so it's a 2x1. Depending on how you do your ramp, you might lose a lot of space. And if you're worried about the sturdiness of the upper level, you can add in a few extra zip ties to hold everything together, but it's honestly probably not needed. Your cage will end up looking like this:
556923_10151477518344501_18131090_n.jpg

I also just noticed that some of your grids have only like 5-6 scares in them. I'd really aim for ones with 9 squares. The larger openings allow some piggies to stick their heads through and get stuck.

And because of your kitty, you might have to build/buy a cover for you cage. Here's a website (http://www.guineapigmarket.com/) that sells some (along with cages and crap ton of accessories) but I just built one from extra grids from another cage when I was watching my friends cat. I used zip ties and binder clips to hold it all together and it looked like this: https://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net...4_10152421924999501_4112721999483671217_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My babies are so spoiled..... :D

Sampson got 4 bags of treats and 2 new toys (will get a bag of food when we track down the coupon haha)
Penny got 2 bales of hay, a bag of banana chips, bedding, a new water bottle, and a box of hay stackers (basically compressed hay)

---
@orca2011 have you heard of/fed the new oxbow hay stackers? i thought it might be a fun treat for Penny since they're timothy hay. i'm SUPER allergic to TH but this claims to have 80% less dust, so i figured she might enjoy a different hay for a change. she seems to really like it so far! i bought the TH and carrots variety.

And I somehow totally missed this tag from several days ago. I have, but I'm not sure I'm as big of a fan. I feel like it's not as much hay as they claim. They do seem to like it at least and I definitely agree it's less dusty. I still just buy a 9lb box at a time cause they go through it so quickly. They waste a lot of hay because they like to pull it out into their litter box and then pee on it...

Thanks jmo and orca!! I'll definitely change the cage around and use my extra grids to cover it! This is why I waited to put any zip ties haha :p I have correx that I'm going to put on the sides, and probably higher on the grids with bigger holes do you think that'd be okay? And as for a companion.. She seems okay as an only pig for now but she's only had her a few months so I haven't really been able to observe much. I guess I'll just cross that bridge when I get there. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Higher correx might work. I've also seen people take their extra grids and kind of stagger/overlap them to make the squares smaller.

And Solstice is going back this week for an ultrasound to see what's going on. Probably her bladder again since I heard back from the rescue and the vet that spayed her performs OVH's on the guinea pigs he sees.

Love the names! :)

Thanks!! Also, my father just brought me a third. Found the little guy in the middle of a busy parking lot! I'll keep him safe until he gets a little bigger... But in the mean time, looking for a cool turtle name.

also very important: three itty bitty turtles on a miniature psychedelic couch.
three turtles on couch.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
My (almost) 4 year old Cane Corso has been taking Cosequin DS for 2.5 months. He was on the loading dose for 6 weeks, then we put him on the maintenance level. I saw an improvement when he was on the loading dose (4 tablets daily)- no yelping when he gets up in the morning, no yelping when he is scratching himself, more willing to run and play. When I put him on the 2 tablets daily maintenance dose, his old aches and pains came back, so I bumped him back up to the loading dose full time. I'd really like to try Adequan, but our vet said that's something to save for down the road when Moose gets worse. It doesn't make sense to me to wait until he is worse. He's a fit 120 pounds and about halfway through his life. Any thoughts?

My (almost) 4 year old Cane Corso has been taking Cosequin DS for 2.5 months. He was on the loading dose for 6 weeks, then we put him on the maintenance level. I saw an improvement when he was on the loading dose (4 tablets daily)- no yelping when he gets up in the morning, no yelping when he is scratching himself, more willing to run and play. When I put him on the 2 tablets daily maintenance dose, his old aches and pains came back, so I bumped him back up to the loading dose full time. I'd really like to try Adequan, but our vet said that's something to save for down the road when Moose gets worse. It doesn't make sense to me to wait until he is worse. He's a fit 120 pounds and about halfway through his life. Any thoughts?
get a 2nd opinion if you don't like what they have to say. otherwise, medical advice is a no on SDN

Looks like I got the piggie early!
Her name is Piddle because it looks like she has a pee stain on her bum hahaha
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402167383.864938.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402167398.148075.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402167305.315352.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I'm becoming obsessed with guinea pigs. My boys are sort of getting along. Benson desperately wants to be buddies with Norbert but Norbert is not a fan of Ben's. Norby's best friend is Eddie, my friend's pig. Eddie will be coming for a sleepover next week :) If I had the space and time I would have at least 6.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm becoming obsessed with guinea pigs. My boys are sort of getting along. Benson desperately wants to be buddies with Norbert but Norbert is not a fan of Ben's. Norby's best friend is Eddie, my friend's pig. Eddie will be coming for a sleepover next week :) If I had the space and time I would have at least 6.

We have a rabbit rescue in town and I kind of feel this way about rabbits. I seriously want one.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402237495.900574.jpg

Bath day for the birdies. They are so mad at me now lol.

Reactions: 4 users
@dyachei wasn't seeking med advice. just wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation. please delete post if inappropriate. my apologies.

Had a really odd incident with my dog today. He normally loves going in the car and gets super excited for car rides. We were getting ready to leave the vet office I work at today (he needed his vaccines) and he immediately went to jump into the travel crate I use for the car (its the red, foldable nature's miracle one). He's been in that crate before and will often go into it on his own in the house to nap. Well, he jumped right in and then freaked out over something and bolted out. And I mean panicked and putting his full 35lbs into me to get out. I let him out and then try to put him in and he fights me on it, so I let him out again and wait a little thinking maybe the car is too hot and it needs to cool down. I ended up having to force him into the crate, which I feel horrible about cause he was clearly uncomfortable about it, but it's the only way I can drive safely with him in the car.

Checked the crate and him and can't really figure out what caused the freak out. I did find a spider or some bug on him when we were trying to relax in the parking lot, so I'm wondering if it bit him, but that's about all I got. I just hope he's not terrified of the car now because he always got so excited and we do a lot of driving around together.

Members don't see this ad :)
10455834_777558225601760_3463370150281726036_n.jpg

My new pup summer :). Had her about a week now, and she is such an intelligent and well behaved little puppy :)

Reactions: 8 users
Finally got my bird, Gizmo!

10457188_4129234354703_6086815043902330851_n.jpg

He is settling in to his home pretty good so far, he is such a big chatterbox! :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Had a really odd incident with my dog today. He normally loves going in the car and gets super excited for car rides. We were getting ready to leave the vet office I work at today (he needed his vaccines) and he immediately went to jump into the travel crate I use for the car (its the red, foldable nature's miracle one). He's been in that crate before and will often go into it on his own in the house to nap. Well, he jumped right in and then freaked out over something and bolted out. And I mean panicked and putting his full 35lbs into me to get out. I let him out and then try to put him in and he fights me on it, so I let him out again and wait a little thinking maybe the car is too hot and it needs to cool down. I ended up having to force him into the crate, which I feel horrible about cause he was clearly uncomfortable about it, but it's the only way I can drive safely with him in the car.

Checked the crate and him and can't really figure out what caused the freak out. I did find a spider or some bug on him when we were trying to relax in the parking lot, so I'm wondering if it bit him, but that's about all I got. I just hope he's not terrified of the car now because he always got so excited and we do a lot of driving around together.

My dog occasionally gets overexcited jumping into the car and faceplants directly into the car seat. =/ Usually after that she's a bit timid about getting into the car, but after a week or so she's fine again. You may need to do some extra treats or toys or praise while in the crate for a while so he remembers that it's a good place to be, but hopefully if it was just a minor issue like getting bitten by a bug at the wrong moment he'll be fine!

My dog occasionally gets overexcited jumping into the car and faceplants directly into the car seat. =/ Usually after that she's a bit timid about getting into the car, but after a week or so she's fine again. You may need to do some extra treats or toys or praise while in the crate for a while so he remembers that it's a good place to be, but hopefully if it was just a minor issue like getting bitten by a bug at the wrong moment he'll be fine!

That's definitely my plan. He did go into that crate today on his own to nap, so I think we'll be okay in the long run.

So, I signed my dog up a training class that focuses specifically on leash reactivity since that's an issue for us. I had started working on desensitization on my own but I wanted help from a trainer to make sure my timing is accurate and have everything in a controlled environment while we learn the behaviors. Well, today was our first class and he did great. We were able to work with the dog inside the building, walking around the dog, having the dog walk around us and even with the other dog bouncing around. He even started "autolooking" during the calmer scenarios which is great! She's hoping that we can work on the perimeter of another dog class in a couple lessons as long as things progress well.

Our homework is to keep working on all those behaviors and I'm going to start trying to train him to breathe/relax on command. It'll take a lot of work but I think it will be a fun challenge. We're also working on learning "tug" so we can hopefully start using toys as reinforcement. He's super food motivated, but kind of chunky (switching to a low calorie food right now), so I'd love to be able to reinforce the behaviors and manage his weight at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
He's super food motivated, but kind of chunky (switching to a low calorie food right now), so I'd love to be able to reinforce the behaviors and manage his weight at the same time.

Tug is such a great reinforcer! Since he hasn't learned it yet though have you tried just using his daily ration of kibble as his training rewards? I put my pup's kibble in a ziploc with some boiled chicken breast and refrigerate overnight to use for training. Softens the kibble and makes it smellier/tastier/more desirable without adding many extra calories.

Tug is such a great reinforcer! Since he hasn't learned it yet though have you tried just using his daily ration of kibble as his training rewards? I put my pup's kibble in a ziploc with some boiled chicken breast and refrigerate overnight to use for training. Softens the kibble and makes it smellier/tastier/more desirable without adding many extra calories.

I have in the past, but haven't done that recently. I suppose I could go back to do that, but I have noticed that he'll get bored with his kibble more quickly. He'll still work for it, but his response time will slow down a bit. Refrigerating it with some boiled chicken is not a bad idea. I've been using a lot of carrots lately for treats since he's a fan of them and they're low in calories. I just know we would go through his kibble super quickly in our sessions with the trainer.

My dear little dove turned ten today! She's getting to be an old lady! And today also happens to be her first anniversary with her "boyfriend" who's creeping in the background of the picture...
10427275_10202710146062958_5695298963314862807_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Totally trying to clicker training my piggy, Mowgli. He's curious, doesn't startle as easily and seems more food motivated. Solstice just kind of turned her nose up at me and went back to munching hay. I also think the sound of the clicker scares her a little but I think she'll get desensitized as I work with Mowgli more.

I have a question for all you guinea pig owners, I am currently pet-sitting my friend's (just for another few days). However, he is pretty afraid of everyone. I so badly want to pick him up but I don't want to scare the bejesus out of him or get bitten... Is there a way to get him more used to people, getting pet, etc?

you have to be "bold" when you go to pick them up. they are all pretty skittish when you reach into their cages since they are prey animals - the only way to get past this would be for you to continually handle this pig over a long period of time, and since it's not yours that seems pretty unlikely. even my pig runs from other people usually, including people who have fed her daily for years. she seems to know that i'm going to grab her and so she doesnt bother to waste the energy running (and she LIKES coming out for attention). holding pigs in a towel or blanket seems to make them feel more comfortable when they're out. positive reinforcement with petting via food is key, these guys are pretty heavily food motivated!

Reactions: 2 users
So, I haven't been on in a while. There may be some people that remember my dog Colby going through struggles with osteosarcoma back in 2011. He had a leg amputated and had an amazing recovery. Sadly, in January 2013, we had to put down our other dog Madison (hence maddiegirl) due to a mass in her brain. She was nearly 15. Colby left us just 37 days after we let Maddie go. He had an amazing 14 months after his cancer treatment!! It was the most heartbreaking time of my life. I found him deceased one morning. It was such a shock because he was happy and playing just the night before.

About six months after they passed away, I got an urgent phone call from the animal shelter where I volunteer. They desperately needed a foster for a mother boxer and her puppies. Without hesitation, I agreed to foster them. When I arrived at the shelter the next day there was a very skinny mommy boxer and her eight 11-day-old puppies. We lost the runt the next day, and I was determined not to let the next smallest puppy die as well.

Not only did Madison Presley not die, but she stole my heart. I initially named her Madison with the intention of sending her out into the world to touch someone else's life the way my Maddie had touched mine because she reminded me so much of my girl that passed away. Instead, she became my foster failure and she helped to soothe my shattered heart. It's amazing how these dogs find us when we need them most. I'm including some photos of them.

The photo Madison at 9 months is the original Maddie. Presley at 4 months and "Madison aka Presley" at 11 days. Presley just turned a year old this month and she is my soulmate dog. I swear she reads my mind. I'm a lucky girl to have been blessed with such great dogs.

Attachments

• maddie and colgy.jpg
    maddie and colgy.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 68
  • Presley at 4 months.jpg
    Presley at 4 months.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Madison at 9 months.jpg
    Madison at 9 months.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Madison.jpg
    Madison.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 3 users
I have a question for all you guinea pig owners, I am currently pet-sitting my friend's (just for another few days). However, he is pretty afraid of everyone. I so badly want to pick him up but I don't want to scare the bejesus out of him or get bitten... Is there a way to get him more used to people, getting pet, etc?

Piggies generally don't bite. My female wasn't able to be adopted out because she was supposedly nippy. She hasn't bit me once. She actually gave her vet a lick the other day. Anyway, I second everything jmo said and I actually encourage mine to go into a cuddle sleeping bag/cup for when I want to hold them. Less scary than hands and both my piggies like to burrow into blankets so I think it makes them feel safe. I haven't had either since they were babies, and it doesn't seem like they were handled a lot so they're even skittish with me a bit still. We're making progress though because Solstice used to bolt if you just entered a room and now she'll at least come greet you. I've noticed that they seem more open to being picked up if I'm able to give them a couple nose rubs, but they still run away sometimes.

Last edited:
I've had one GP bite me in practice. It was apparently his temperament. I laughed pretty hard when it happened because I was just shocked that one bit me

I've had one GP bite me in practice. It was apparently his temperament. I laughed pretty hard when it happened because I was just shocked that one bit me

Haha. That's usually the case if one does bite. Mine occasionally try to nibble but they never apply much pressure/break skin.

Thanks jmo1012 and orca2011! I think just have to get over the initial fear of picking up an animal I've never interacted with and just pick him up.

It also bit the umm...chest of my female vet tech.
i got a nice warning nip in that area when i quicked a nail once :(

otherwise yeah, not a whole lot of biting going on. i think its because they'd rather flee than fight. the only time i was bit by my pig (more than a warning or curiosity nibble) was when a piece of lettuce happened to be sitting on top of my finger and she was over zealous in grabbing it. that hurt! these guys are very curious though, if you stick something in front of their face (such as a finger) be prepared for a test nibble! i have to stop people from offering their hand for the pig to "sniff" before they pet as a pig's way to figure something out is to take a gentle nip!

I have in the past, but haven't done that recently. I suppose I could go back to do that, but I have noticed that he'll get bored with his kibble more quickly. He'll still work for it, but his response time will slow down a bit. Refrigerating it with some boiled chicken is not a bad idea. I've been using a lot of carrots lately for treats since he's a fan of them and they're low in calories. I just know we would go through his kibble super quickly in our sessions with the trainer.
Some brands of food also make mini versions of the kibble (called "small bites" or something sometimes). You can get a lot more rewards out of one meal that way. My pup was less motivated by the smaller kibble, but if you used the boiled chicken idea that might not be an issue. I've gone through entire meals of small-bites kibble in an hour or so though, so it's still not endless. But a mix of small-kibble meals + carrots might let you use extra rewards until he learns tug.

they make freeze dried chicken in case thats easier. low cal and less messy (easier too). i personally prefer a brand called pure bites to the one that petsmart sells.

image.jpg

This is my Isla girl! She's a rescue from the vet clinic. I love her so much

So I'm a little sad I was going to adopt the two female rats we have at my current job but the place I'm moving into won't let me have rats. We are already going to have 5 dogs so I understand and I'm thankful I at least get to take my 3 dogs but I'm really going to miss those girls when I move. Who would've thought I'd get attached to a couple of rats.

So I'm a little sad I was going to adopt the two female rats we have at my current job but the place I'm moving into won't let me have rats. We are already going to have 5 dogs so I understand and I'm thankful I at least get to take my 3 dogs but I'm really going to miss those girls when I move. Who would've thought I'd get attached to a couple of rats.
My biggest phobia is rats! Idk why, they just scare the living daylights out of me.

My biggest phobia is rats! Idk why, they just scare the living daylights out of me.

Ahh you'd fall in love with Blondie and Jett! They are so sweet they just lick you hand when you're holding them kind of like a dog.

Ahh you'd fall in love with Blondie and Jett! They are so sweet they just lick you hand when you're holding them kind of like a dog.
Lol maybe. That sucks you can't take them with you! Maybe the landlord is worried about them chewing stuff?

Lol maybe. That sucks you can't take them with you! Maybe the landlord is worried about them chewing stuff?
Maybe but they'd be in a cage I feel like they would be less destructive that our dogs but I understand their concerns. I'm sure one of our students will give them a great home.

My dog did pretty well in his class today. We worked a little bit outside, so he was more distracted than if when we were inside but he still listened to commands most of the time. He definitely had times were he got a little more tense/interested in the other dog (actually dogs, worked with two today!), but we had some autolooks and she said he has a pretty quick recovery time, so I'm pleased. Our trainer also complemented my handling and our relationship/my ability to read him, which I really appreciated because I don't think I'm a great handler by any means.

Next week we're going to try working along side a group class that is going on. Hoping it goes well!

Maybe but they'd be in a cage I feel like they would be less destructive that our dogs but I understand their concerns. I'm sure one of our students will give them a great home.
Yeah, and then you'll get to visit them and know they're safe and happy.

Does anyone use fish oil supplements for their dogs? Started mine on them since we got a bunch of free samples at the clinic, but I'm wondering if there are really any benefits to long term use in a healthy animal to make them worth buying once the samples run out.

Does anyone use fish oil supplements for their dogs? Started mine on them since we got a bunch of free samples at the clinic, but I'm wondering if there are really any benefits to long term use in a healthy animal to make them worth buying once the samples run out.
there are studies that indicate that in appropriate ratios, fish oils can decrease inflammation and may help promote skin health. So depends on what you are using them fore.

my dog was started on them as part of regimen to help with environmental allergies and we've just stuck with it. his coat is definitely noticeably shinier though. we also got the 400 count costco bottle to help economically :shrug:

Does anyone have a doggie cake recipe they like to use? Geordie's "gotcha day" is coming up in a week and I'd like to make him a little cake or something special.