PhD/PsyD All Things Neuropsych Training Related- externship, internship, post-doc, and beyond...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissSPSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I keep wanting a thread to discuss neuropsych post-docs and how everyone is doing. The post-doc thread is good but we know that our interview and matching process is a bit different. I want this to be open to questions about any neuropsych training topics, externship/internship, supervision--any questions not explored elsewhere. First question- how do those participating in the match feel about their lists and the whole process? Seems more competitive than internship to me, and at first I thought I'd match at my top 3 sites- now I'd be happy to be anywhere :D I think I'm leaving my list as is right now- no more changes :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

And to provide my own answer to the first question--I wasn't nearly as anxious about the postdoc match as I was for internship. I enjoyed the interviews more, somehow landed a much better application-to-interview ratio, and appreciated that so much was able to get knocked out over INS. I also appreciated that I was truly at the final step of training, and would be focusing extensively on what I ultimately wanted/hoped to do after finishing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very similar experience to AA. The post-doc process was almost enjoyable because it felt much more manageable compared to the match. I think the overall match % was similar to internship, but everyone I knew had been able to match to a site or take an outside offer...unlike internship where I saw quality applicants come up empty. The interviews were also more conversational and sites were much more interested in my goals and what I wanted to do with my career. I didn't feel like I had to sell myself nearly as much and the interviews were mostly short (5 at INS, 2 longer phone interviews prior to INS, and 2 longer non-match site phone interviews).

I went through the match process before they changed the notification process, so the only real pressure was deciding between taking an outside offer or roll the dice and hope I matched at one of my top 1-3 sites. I was pretty set on doing the match since I secured interviews at 7 of my top 8 sites, but then I had two very strong R1 non-match programs pursue me and one made an offer on the spot. It was somewhat surreal because those two programs were a pipe dream a year or two before, yet they both pushed for me. I took the bird in hand and it ended up being phenomenal training, though honestly I think any of the 9 places I interviewed would have offered excellent training and prepared me for a competitive faculty position.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, postdoc was much less stressful for me too. Similar to T4C, I got 7/8 interviews. Very glad I didn't apply to more sites at that point. I was in the APPCN match and secured my top spot. Interviews were also much less stressful, getting to do them at one central location.

Thanks for including that thread WisNeuro- very helpful. I agree with everyone for the most part. I got a lot of interviews for internship and post-doc, but that's probably based on me applying to more than 15 spots for both- a lot :shy: I applied to sites in and out of the match, and unfortunately, some sites wanted to meet on-site vs INS, which meant it wasn't all centralized for me. Ultimately- my rank list is only sites in the match, which I like. I did like the interviews more than internship, as I didn't have to pretend I was interested in intervention, but the speed-dating format was quite tiring at the end of the day. The uncertaintly of the algorithm match is getting to me though- I was more confident when I was getting a lot of interviews, now that my list is pared down I'm feeling nervous. :unsure:

And to provide my own answer to the first question--I wasn't nearly as anxious about the postdoc match as I was for internship. I enjoyed the interviews more, somehow landed a much better application-to-interview ratio, and appreciated that so much was able to get knocked out over INS. I also appreciated that I was truly at the final step of training, and would be focusing extensively on what I ultimately wanted/hoped to do after finishing.

I totally agree.

Ultimately, I dropped out of the match and accepted a non-match position, because I had a few other priorities that I refused to compromise (mainly I was sick of being in a long-distance relationship and didn't want to leave everything to chance yet again). And I remain happy with my decision. :)

Thanks for including that thread WisNeuro- very helpful. I agree with everyone for the most part. I got a lot of interviews for internship and post-doc, but that's probably based on me applying to more than 15 spots for both- a lot :shy: I applied to sites in and out of the match, and unfortunately, some sites wanted to meet on-site vs INS, which meant it wasn't all centralized for me. Ultimately- my rank list is only sites in the match, which I like. I did like the interviews more than internship, as I didn't have to pretend I was interested in intervention, but the speed-dating format was quite tiring at the end of the day. The uncertaintly of the algorithm match is getting to me though- I was more confident when I was getting a lot of interviews, now that my list is pared down I'm feeling nervous. :unsure:

I think anytime you take the ultimate decision-making out of the applicant's hands, it's going to be a little anxiety-provoking. But I definitely felt more confident about the neuro match than I did internship, which was nice.

I also had a few on-site rather than INS-based interviews (3 in all, if I'm remember correctly), although I actually enjoyed those quite a bit as well. I was actually taken out to lunch/dinner, and like you/WisNeuro/T4C mentioned (either here or elsewhere), I felt less like I was being grilled or having to sell myself to the sites, and more like they actually valued what I might bring and were attempting to sell themselves to me. An unusual feeling at the time, to be sure. I also appreciated that sites not interviewing at INS were very open to, or even only offered, phone interviews rather than requiring in-person visits.

The internship match was today- they released the stats which have greatly improved from the low of 2012. Guess things are getting better- especially in 2018 when only APA accredited program-students can participate. Anyway- my school had 100% match rate :happy:. Getting antsy about neuro match on Monday. I just want to know already :scared: I'll be happy with just matching- well Top 3 would be awesome :heckyeah:

Yay! I matched. so that anxiety is over--but was not to Top 3, my #4 which should have been #5 now I think about it- based on geography. So it's that bittersweet feeling. Kind of prefer the idea of going outside the match now. Juggling offers seems very stressful, but I could have had at least 1-2 days to really decide where I want to go vs decision made for you. Letting it sink in- happy overall :woot: