Allotted board prep time @ your DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crookster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious how much time each DO school allots to board prep. I've seen the answer to this for some schools in various threads but I thought it would be nice if we could get as many people to chime in from as many DO programs as possible and state how much time their institute gives their 2nd years to study for boards without having any other commitments/classes. (No time, 4 weeks, 6 weeks etc.). I searched on my phone for a thread like this and couldn't find one so let me know if this has been done before.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Search "boards study time" and click "title only". I dont know how to copy multiple threads, but the most recent one is this I think

http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net...me-off-your-school-gives-you-to-study.721361/

There are tons of these threads

The only problem is that schools change the amount of prep time every so often. For instance, LMU-DCOM just changed the amount of prep-time given within the last 1-2 years. So it is good to have up to date threads on this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM PBL gives 1-1.5 weeks of dedicated study following 1-2 weeks of "pre-clinical review" and generally lighter curriculum in the last month of classes (after PBL finishes). You have the option to take an additional 4 wk summer review course, which requires logging daily study time and a 1 hr group question bank session every weekday, but as a result, you'll lose your 3rd year vacation block (the only completely off time until 4th year).

Nova gave us 6.5 weeks with nothing at all before start of rotations, assuming we don't fail anything. The last week before those 6.5 weeks has 5 days completely free, one day mandatory 8-5 training of some sort, and a one hour session of something else. Our associated hospitals require orientation the week before rotations start.

So basically, roughly 7 weeks of dedicated time.

Last edited:
LECOM-SH finishes up PBL almost two months before rotations start (i.e. now), but then there's a 2-week psychiatry course, a series of shelf exams, and our ACLS training. Still plenty of time.

Also, LECOM-SH gives us the option of using an elective rotation for the summer review course, if we were lucky enough/required to take it.

LECOM-SH finishes up PBL almost two months before rotations start (i.e. now), but then there's a 2-week psychiatry course, a series of shelf exams, and our ACLS training. Still plenty of time.

Also, LECOM-SH gives us the option of using an elective rotation for the summer review course, if we were lucky enough/required to take it.
They must have changed the summer review course option, that's a pretty sweet deal for you guys!

They must have changed the summer review course option, that's a pretty sweet deal for you guys!

Yeah. I didn't mention this because who knows what will happen in the future (this policy seems to change a lot year-to-year), but as of now it seems you can use your first elective as the review course, your score in the COMLEX correlates to your elective grade (400 = C, 500 = B, 600 = A), and your first elective becomes a vacation.

Yeah. I didn't mention this because who knows what will happen in the future (this policy seems to change a lot year-to-year), but as of now it seems you can use your first elective as the review course, your score in the COMLEX correlates to your elective grade (400 = C, 500 = B, 600 = A), and your first elective becomes a vacation.
Nice. Sounds like some major improvements on the policy from my year. I jumped into the board study month...ended not ever taking a vacation till 4th year (used the step two study month as an audition). It was a very long year that's for sure.

KCOM officially has 5 weeks between finals, and the time they want you to take the test, but our schedule is SUPER light since we finished neuro in February. I spend most of my day studying for boards, and maybe only an hour or two total per day with current class stuff (no I don't go to class). It makes for a nice amount of time to prep.

Reactions: 2 users
KCOM officially has 5 weeks between finals, and the time they want you to take the test, but our schedule is SUPER light since we finished neuro in February. I spend most of my day studying for boards, and maybe only an hour or two total per day with current class stuff (no I don't go to class). It makes for a nice amount of time to prep.
This is awesome to know - one of my interviewers at KCOM kind of laughed when I asked about time off to study for boards. And by kind of, I mean he did. lol glad that's it's realistic to study while also taking classes.

Reactions: 1 users
How long has this schedule been in place? Didnt y'all have some awesome matches this year?

The only problem is that schools change the amount of prep time every so often. For instance, LMU-DCOM just changed the amount of prep-time given within the last 1-2 years. So it is good to have up to date threads on this.

The reason that schools change it so often is this:

"Board prep time" is not important. Its something that medical students bitch about, but its essentially meaningless. You cannot cram for step 1. Also, you cant predict when students will sign up for the test. Even if you gave 6 weeks off for boards, only a percentage of students would be able to schedule the exam at the end of that window.

I already know that everyone is going to **** a brick when they read this.... So just chill. After you take the test you will see exactly what I mean. There is zero correlation between the amount of "dedicated board prep time" and board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is zero correlation between the amount of "dedicated board prep time" and board scores.

I both agree and disagree with this... you don't need 8 weeks like many students seem to think, but I think there is a minimum amount of time that is very helpful to unplug from the routine and get into boards mode. You have to have time to revisit material you haven't seen in a year, even if when you were originally tested, you mastered it.

And you definitely can cram for boards. Not all the material obviously, but you can definitely cram pharm and micro in the last week or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I both agree and disagree with this... you doesn't need 8 weeks like many students seem to think, but I think there is a minimum amount of time that is very helpful to unplug from the routine and get into boards mode. You have to have time to revisit material you haven't seen in a year, even if when you were originally tested, you mastered it.

And you definitely can cram for boards. Not all the material obviously, but you can definitely cram pharm and micro in the last week or two.

Did you take the exam yet?

The answer: not enough. /thread

If anyone can bump this for GA-PCOM

How long has this schedule been in place? Didnt y'all have some awesome matches this year?
With curriculum changes, we have the lightest end of 2nd year schedule I know of since everything was more front-loaded. The classes before us had way less time to prep. And yes several killed it getting into competitive programs. Most got their top choices for the match.

"Board prep time" is not important. Its something that medical students bitch about, but its essentially meaningless. You cannot cram for step 1. Also, you cant predict when students will sign up for the test. Even if you gave 6 weeks off for boards, only a percentage of students would be able to schedule the exam at the end of that window.

I already know that everyone is going to **** a brick when they read this.... So just chill. After you take the test you will see exactly what I mean. There is zero correlation between the amount of "dedicated board prep time" and board scores.

Almost everyone I've talked to that has taken boards (MD, DO, many different schools with very different teaching styles) has said that the ideal time for dedicated study is 4-6 wks. Universally, they've said that more than that is unnecessary and less would make them feel rushed.

No one is "cramming" for boards, but you still need time to review the details in everything you studied over the last 2 years. This is best exemplified by the fact that people who take practice tests before dedicated study are on average only slightly above passing (i.e. below the average).

So while I agree that 4 weeks vs. 6 weeks vs. 8 weeks doesn't really matter, you might need to know if you have <2 wks allocated for dedicated study, and that might change how you plan your last semester.

Reactions: 2 users
ATSU-SOMA does a 4 week "Integrative" block at the end of year 2, which consists of no lectures and weekly cumulative, board-style exams, with the last exam being a COMSAE. Then we have 7 weeks of dedicated prep time before 3rd year orientation starts. Essentially 11 weeks of dedicated prep, but most people schedule their boards so they get a week or two off before 3rd year.

Reactions: 3 users

This is probably true if you are looking to do around the average or a bit higher. If you are looking for 250+ I couldn't disagree more. Of course if you just crack your first book and begin your board prep 6 weeks out you are probably not going to score insanely high...I think most 2nd year students start something several months before their dedicated time.

This is probably true if you are looking to do around the average or a bit higher. If you are looking for 250+ I couldn't disagree more. Of course if you just crack your first book and begin your board prep 6 weeks out you are probably not going to score insanely high...I think most 2nd year students start something several months before their dedicated time.

Its not about agreeing or disagreeing....

Its more of a fact. There is no correlation here.

This is SDN though. I could post "the earth is round" and someone is bound to vehemently disagree.

This is SDN though. I could post "the earth is round" and someone is bound to vehemently disagree.
What study are you quoting to call it a fact?

I doubt there is anything out there that would show a significant difference BUT the people who I know that did well had around a month of just study time. There's a lot of variables on what and how people study, how well they learned the material to start....I think saying study time has no correlation with board score implies its unnecessary or unhelpful which is silly. I probably wouldn't have done as well as I did on step 1 without taking the time I did but the plural of anecdote is not a data set.

Tldr definitely think time off to study for boards is a good thing and gives students a better opportunity to score well. My opinion.

Where are you getting this from? I don't think I've heard of a single allopathic school giving less than a month of study time, and it's looking like many osteopathic schools are doing the same. Then there's the overseas schools putting out absurd scores after a year or more of study time.

Of course there's no guarantee that more time will give you a better score, but what you're suggesting is inconsistent with just about everything said on the USMLE/COMLEX subforums.

I think we're all still eagerly waiting for you to support this with something other than dismissive hand waving. If you're going to contravene common sense and popular opinion you should at least make a little bit of an effort to justify why.

edited message to be less confrontational

I haven't taken the boards yet but I've seen many well supported opinions, from which I have developed mine.

KCU (formerly KCUMB) = 6 weeks

However the times are a changin' because we have a new Dean and he is overhauling the entire curriculum, so I'm not sure if this will be the case next year

I think we're all still eagerly waiting for you to support this with something other than dismissive hand waving. If you're going to contravene common sense and popular opinion you should at least make a little bit of an effort to justify why.

My school offers no dedicated study time, and has better board averages than the national average.

There's a lot of common sense that you guys are just ignoring here.
Not all students can take the exam on the same day. In fact, it is almost statistically impossible for all 2nd year students at any school to all take the exam within a 2 weeks span.

Providing "one month" of study time is great.....for the ~40 students who are able to schedule their test during the last week of the month.

My school offers no dedicated study time, and has better board averages than the national average.

Not all students can take the exam on the same day. In fact, it is almost statistically impossible for all 2nd year students at any school to all take the exam within a 2 weeks span.

Providing "one month" of study time is great.....for the ~40 students who are able to schedule their test during the last week of the month.

How is it impossibly for them all to take the exam within a 2 week span? Have you considered the fact that perhaps they are not staying at school all summer and may go home (which may not be nearby) in other cities where you can easily have everyone sign up within a 2 week span SOMEWHERE in the country.

How is it impossibly for them all to take the exam within a 2 week span? Have you considered the fact that perhaps they are not staying at school all summer and may go home (which may not be nearby) in other cities where you can easily have everyone sign up within a 2 week span SOMEWHERE in the country.

Oh

A couple things.

First, as Placebo already pointed out, students with dedicated study time often don't stay on campus and so end up taking the exam somewhere near where they live/are from. Also, depending on your location there may be a number of prometric testing sites that offer the exam and they do so multiple days a week. I have a class of 150+ students and I know very few people (I can think of two) who were unable to schedule their exam when and where they wanted to. Those who couldn't get their first choice either changed the date by a few days or are taking it at another prometric site, of which there are several within a 20-30 minute drive.

Second, I don't think you're answering the right question when you say that your school does well on boards with no dedicated study time. The question is would those same students who did fine without a dedicated study period do better if they had several weeks of uninterrupted time without other commitments during which they could focus on boards studying? Certainly students who know that they're not getting a dedicated prep time would adjust their focus to be better prepared to take it immediately when school ends, and schools could also facilitate this by having low key classes as the year winds down...but I don't think these are truly adequate substitutes for weeks of dedicated time. I'm two weeks into a five week study period and I unequivocally know more now than I did when I started. Would I have done fine on boards without a dedicated study period? Probably. Would my score be as good as it will be after getting five weeks to review material and take practice exams? I really have trouble believing that it would be.

Reactions: 3 users

May I ask what school you go to?

And anyone know off the top of their heads what schools give zero time off for board study?

You made some pretty big claims previously and I'm honestly pretty disappointed with this line of reasoning behind your "facts". Scheduling conflicts is probably the lamest argument I've ever heard of for less study time-I live in a city with Clinical sites for 5 med schools and have never had an issue for scheduling exams, and their is only two testing centers here. I have yet to hear of a school who doesn't tout having a board average above the national average -Who gives a sh$t. I guess if average is your goal the two or so weeks is adequate, I think 4-6 weeks is optimal personally for step 1, at least if you are shooting to score above average

Last edited:
You made some pretty big claims previously and I'm honestly pretty disappointed with this line of reasoning behind your "facts". Scheduling conflicts is probably the lamest argument I've ever heard of for less study time-I live in a city with Clinical sites for 5 med schools and have never had an issue for scheduling exams, and their is only two testing centers here. I have yet to hear of a school who doesn't tout having a board average above the national average -Who gives a sh$t. I guess if average is your goal the two or so weeks is adequate, I think 4-6 weeks is optimal personally for step 1 at least if you are shooting to score above average

...there are a few other common sense reasons that for why this is a dumb conversation, but I dont have the energy for this.

You all win. School should just be a kaplan course for step 1. I vote 1 year of dedicated board time. Who needs an anatomy lab when you could just be at home cramming first aid right?

...there are a few other common sense reasons that for why this is a dumb conversation, but I dont have the energy for this.

You all win. School should just be a kaplan course for step 1. I vote 1 year of dedicated board time. Who needs an anatomy lab when you could just be at home cramming first aid right?
Exactly. Because that's what everyone is saying, obviously.

No one ever made these points. The purpose of dedicated is to review what you learned, not re-learn it all in a month. I tried to avoid the argument when it quickly became obvious you were more interested in winning than discussing, but here I am being petty with you :laugh:. Maybe if you approached the issue like a discussion, you wouldn't be so embarrassed. Sometimes when everyone disagrees with you, its because they're right, not because the masses are disagreeing for the sake of it.

If you actually have constructive counterpoints to make then make them. Don't misrepresent our arguments and then peace out saying you're tired.

If you actually have constructive counterpoints to make then make them. Don't misrepresent our arguments and then peace out saying you're tired.

Got it. I have no counterpoints.

You made some pretty big claims previously and I'm honestly pretty disappointed with this line of reasoning behind your "facts". Scheduling conflicts is probably the lamest argument I've ever heard of for less study time-I live in a city with Clinical sites for 5 med schools and have never had an issue for scheduling exams, and their is only two testing centers here...

Not just that, but if its my home town, it produces a TON of pre-meds, so you better believe people are coming back home to take boards. Of the 2 sites in my area, they do testing 4 (COMLEX) to 5 (USMLE) days a week, with some days that have 2 times for the COMLEX. I've heard of people not getting the exact "day" they wanted, but I've never heard of anyone not getting the week they wanted, even with only 2 sites. Not to mention NBMEs...

AZCOM is going to be 4 weeks of dedicated board prep time starting next year (was previously 6).

LECOM erie PBL gave a couple of weeks of nothing but study time 2nd year, but honestly I had been studying for boards for 3 months before that simply because the second half of PBL yr 2 is review. In 3rd year, for study time before comlex 2 we had a month off to study or do an extra elective.