Almost fainted during a surgical procedure. Doctor might be angry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netr0pa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a dental student and this summer I work for a dental surgeon in his private clinic. Today we were supposed to work with a patient, who we screwed in implants into his maxilla bone.

I was assisting him but in the end of the procedure, I felt dizzy, pale in my face and I started to feel like I will crash down to the ground soon.

I couldn't even manage to be stable on my left hand to cut the suture either and he probaly thought that Im a noob who cannot even cut a simple suture (even though it's not my right hand).

The moment I felt like I couldn't stand up anymore, I asked him politely that I didn't feel well and had to go to the bathroom quickly. He accepted and I rushed into the bathroom and crashed down to the bathroom floor cause I almost fainted.

After 5 min in the bathroom, I went out and ate a chocolate bar and drank some water. I felt immediately better and now I suspect that I might have diabetes type 1 because I'm a young & slim person and this has happened to me before when the glucose level is dropping too dramaticly.

Anyways, back to topic: I came back to the operating room and explained for him that I might have diabetes (even though I never went to a doctor and check before). Do you think that he might thinks that Im lying and made that up or not?

Im now a bit paranoid and scared that this situation will make him to change opinion about me since before this incident, he always liked me and now maybe he doesn't like me anymore just because I'm "weak"? The reason why Im worried is because this is his private clinic and it's not a good image for the clinic that the assistant is not doing his job well.

I seriously couldn't help that I felt so terrible in the end of the procedure, it was a lot of blood and I was so hungry also.

What do you guys think? Should I feel worried or not? Could this be diabetes type 1 or maybe the reason why I felt dizzy is only because of blood ? But I have so much blood during all my 4-5 years in dental school already so I'm not the first year student anyways. I was also assisting 1 year ago a cardiovascular surgery and nothing happened that time at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, I would go and speak with your primary physician about getting tested for diabetes if you feel that something is wrong. Don't worry about what the doctor thinks, next time make sure you are prepared for the procedure, by eating or drinking whatever you need to. If it was the blood that caused you to feel sick, that feeling will go away with exposure. You did the right thing not continuing and putting both the patients and your well being in danger, so you actually made a good choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, I would go and speak with your primary physician about getting tested for diabetes if you feel that something is wrong. Don't worry about what the doctor thinks, next time make sure you are prepared for the procedure, by eating or drinking whatever you need to. If it was the blood that caused you to feel sick, that feeling will go away with exposure. You did the right thing not continuing and putting both the patients and your well being in danger, so you actually made a good choice.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely go and check for diabetes test to rule out the possible cause.

Did you eat before the procedure?

I didn't eat so much at all before the procedure and that was my mistake now when I think about it. We also forgot to open the window in that clinic room and I could not breathe so well in that mask and the full surgery scrubs (long sleves + sterile gloves covering around the sleves) which we both had made the condition so hot in that room during summer time.

I'm no doctor, but I have similar feinting spells (also young and slim). I HAVE gone to the doctor, and the root cause is simply low blood pressure. Definitely go see your doctor, but try staying really hydrated until then. It might help.

This is just the your nervous system is made up, highly unlikely to be diabetes. The doctor is well aware why this happened and does not think bad about you. He may suggest you eat before procedure or have some sweet coffee. Check it anyway

You experienced vasovagal syncope. The chances you are a Type 1 diabetic (by the situation you describe) are slim to none. Don't worry, it's normal, everyone has it, and yes even the doc was there at one point.

agree with the two previous posts, it happens, you shouldnt tell the doctor you think you have diabetes next time, just tell him you didnt feel well with the blood/surgery, it happens sometimes, I'm working with surgeons this summer too and a D1 almost collapsed after an extraction... the doctor told her to go drink some water and only come back when shes okay, it happens, doctors know it, my mentor asked me to tell him if I ever felt something was wrong...

I admit that it only happened to me during a dissection a few years ago and I would feel bad and really hesitant to move out of the room if I had to remove the sterile (more expensive) gloves but you did the RIGHT thing and took the right decision! The doctor should not be angry at all, you're a human and where I work at the surgeons would feel bad for you not feel angry @ you lol!

Last edited: