Already accepted but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eon462

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to KCUMB through a non traditional path (I'm a junior), and I was wondering if KCUMB will see my final transcript before I attend next fall. I ask because I had a 4.0 when I applied but it looks as if I will make a B (possibly a C) in Organic I. I'm taking Organic II and biochem next semester, and I quite possibly could make a B (or a C) in those as well. The same professor teaches all of these classes and so far he's been really tough for me. I think I can get an A in all my other classes (Phy 1&2, stats, ecology), but these three classes have me really worried. I was wondering if KCUMB could un-accept me based on poor performance in these classes after they had already accepted me. Is there any chance that their acceptance is conditional? Or will they not even look at my grades again?

Members don't see this ad.

You're screwed :thumbdown:

I really doubt you need to be concerned with any type of withdrawal of acceptance unless you got below a 2.0 GPA. Orgo I and II are typically the hardest science classes in college and a good number of people to maticulate in medical school with C's in those classes. As long as you are getting A's in the classes where you believe you can and feel that the professor is not out to get you then you should be just fine. I would think anything above a 3.0 and you are golden. The school will probably look for an official transcript before the start of classes but as I stated before, if you have above a 3.0 and have not failed any of the pre-reques you should be just fine. Now go out and enjoy your last semester or two at college and quit worrying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really doubt you need to be concerned with any type of withdrawal of acceptance unless you got below a 2.0 GPA. Orgo I and II are typically the hardest science classes in college and a good number of people to maticulate in medical school with C's in those classes. As long as you are getting A's in the classes where you believe you can and feel that the professor is not out to get you then you should be just fine. I would think anything above a 3.0 and you are golden. The school will probably look for an official transcript before the start of classes but as I stated before, if you have above a 3.0 and have not failed any of the pre-reques you should be just fine. Now go out and enjoy your last semester or two at college and quit worrying!

thanks for your reply... hope you're right

and I hope gjb19 is wrong :D

I've been accepted to KCUMB through a non traditional path (I'm a junior), and I was wondering if KCUMB will see my final transcript before I attend next fall. I ask because I had a 4.0 when I applied but it looks as if I will make a B (possibly a C) in Organic I. I'm taking Organic II and biochem next semester, and I quite possibly could make a B (or a C) in those as well. The same professor teaches all of these classes and so far he's been really tough for me. I think I can get an A in all my other classes (Phy 1&2, stats, ecology), but these three classes have me really worried. I was wondering if KCUMB could un-accept me based on poor performance in these classes after they had already accepted me. Is there any chance that their acceptance is conditional? Or will they not even look at my grades again?

i know absolutely nothing about people getting in after junior year but i;m pretty sure you still need to take the MCAT and I have no idea how you did that without taking any physics or organic chem. Why are you so anxious to get in anyways, why not just complete your undergrad...graduate with just under a 4.0 and apply to twenty schools and they'll all accept you and you can pick which is best.

If this is a real post than to comfort you i was accepted at KCUMB with a much lower gpa than you and only got a B- and C+ in orgo so im sure you'll be fine

I'm not asking if you have to have a 4.0 to get in. I'm asking if they could/would possibly un-accept me if they saw a significant drop in my GPA when I got into the harder med school prerequisites. so basically I'm wanting to know, if you're accepted is it a done deal, or is it conditional?

thanks to all serious replies

i know absolutely nothing about people getting in after junior year but i;m pretty sure you still need to take the MCAT and I have no idea how you did that without taking any physics or organic chem. Why are you so anxious to get in anyways, why not just complete your undergrad...graduate with just under a 4.0 and apply to twenty schools and they'll all accept you and you can pick which is best.

If this is a real post than to comfort you i was accepted at KCUMB with a much lower gpa than you and only got a B- and C+ in orgo so im sure you'll be fine

I got in through a partnership plan between my current university and KCUMB. My acceptance was based on my GPA (science and overall) and ACT scores. I don't have to take the MCAT. That's why I'm so worried about a drop in GPA... if I had a nice MCAT score to go along with my GPA I wouldn't be so worried. :D

You can only speculate here. You need to contact the school.

You can only speculate here. You need to contact the school.

yeah, I realized that... so I did some searching on the net... Looks like I still need to maintain greater than a 3.5 science GPA... but I think I can make Cs in all 3 of those classes and still have that... so hopefully I'll be ok.

I got in through a partnership plan between my current university and KCUMB. My acceptance was based on my GPA (science and overall) and ACT scores. I don't have to take the MCAT. That's why I'm so worried about a drop in GPA... if I had a nice MCAT score to go along with my GPA I wouldn't be so worried. :D

wow, i didn't know you could get into med school w/out taking the mcat.

are you kidding? No MCAT?

I know this is off topic, but what are your EC's and clinical experience?

GPA and ACT do not give much of an indication on your performance of board exams. If all you have to prove you are capable of passing board exams is a declining GPA, I would take the MCAT for your own personal interest (and curiousity of course!) to get a vague idea of your performance on board exams.

I would think they would un-accpet someone once they realized that you should have taken the MCAT before being offered admission!

are you kidding me? No MCAT?

What did they base your admission on then, just GPA and ACT scores?

GPA and ACT do not give much of an indication on your performance of board exams.

I would think they would un-accpet someone once they realized that you should have taken the MCAT before being offered admission!

well the GPA and ACT were in place of MCAT (I'm not going to argue :D )... they also looked at shadowing experience, extra extracurriculars, and all the other normal stuff. The program is designed to accept sophomores and juniors... obviously a sophomore is probably not going to have taken the classes needed for a good MCAT score. I was quite surprised myself when I learned that the MCAT wasn't required. I asked the KCUMB representative about it and he said that only one of the students they have accepted through this program (or similar ones) didn't pass his boards on his first attempt... so hopefully everything turns out okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are other schools that do this. When I went on my ISL trip last year, a girl revealed that she goes to BC and had been accepted into an undergrad/M.D. program where as long as she has a certain GPA (3.5) she gets into Tufts med school and she DOESN'T HAVE TO TAKE THE MCATS when she applies in her soph year!!!!! IF you get accepted, you have to take the MCATS, but NO MINIMUM SCORE is required. AND you don't even have to commit to them until your senior year. Pretty sweet huh? Everyone on my trip was soooooo jealous.

are you kidding? No MCAT?

GPA and ACT do not give much of an indication on your performance of board exams. If all you have to prove you are capable of passing board exams is a declining GPA, I would take the MCAT for your own personal interest (and curiousity of course!) to get a vague idea of your performance on board exams.

The MCAT is not suppose to be reflective on how you do on the board exams right? I sure hope not. Can someone who took the boards clarify?

I would contact the school and just ask if the terms of the acceptance are conditional and what exactly those conditions are. I am sure there are some conditions such as passing the required pre-reqs and having a certain GPA. However I don't think three classes will hurt your chances unless you get below a C. I would still try to get an A or B though. Also (this is a bit of an aside), you should have a positive atitude going into orgo II and biochem. They are difficult classes and already thinking you will not do well in them will not help you to mentally prepare for them. Take the classes thinking of them as a challenge and as something you can over come. I wish you the best of luck and congrats on your acceptance! Now relax!

I'm not asking if you have to have a 4.0 to get in. I'm asking if they could/would possibly un-accept me if they saw a significant drop in my GPA when I got into the harder med school prerequisites. so basically I'm wanting to know, if you're accepted is it a done deal, or is it conditional?

thanks to all serious replies

If a school tells you they've ACCEPTED you (not considering acceptance etc) They can't go back on that unless they specifically outline their guidelines. If they did so without giving you knowledge of said guidelines, you could sue.

Call the school's admissions office and ask if your acceptance is provisional based on your academic performance or whether you only need to pass your courses (which is what i suspect).

If a school tells you they've ACCEPTED you (not considering acceptance etc) They can't go back on that unless they specifically outline their guidelines. If they did so without giving you knowledge of said guidelines, you could sue.

Call the school's admissions office and ask if your acceptance is provisional based on your academic performance or whether you only need to pass your courses (which is what i suspect).

They most certainly can back out of their acceptance, especially for these non-traditional acceptances. They are often conditional acceptances.

You need to maintain a minimum academic level or they can make their conditional acceptance null & void.

They most certainly can back out of their acceptance, especially for these non-traditional acceptances. They are often conditional acceptances.

You need to maintain a minimum academic level or they can make their conditional acceptance null & void.

you are correct :thumbup:

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine also does this type of program. (I am not sure if the Mich State Osteopathic School of Medicine does this -- i think it is just the human medicine). Anyway -- a friend of mine from high school was admitted into this program. It is a combined undergrad / MD program. They allowed her to major in anything she wanted and they basically set up her 4 years for her and told her what classes to take and when. She was exempt from taking the MCAT; however, she could have taken it to see what she would have gotten but it wouldn't affect her being admitted to the school of medicine. She had to maintain a G.P.A. of 3.5 as well. She ultimately left the program to pursue nursing at a different university, because she began to realize medicine was not for her.

Her admittance into the school of medicine was provisional though. If she fell under the G.P.A. of 3.5 and if she received less than a C in any of her pre-req's, she was to be terminated from the program.

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine also does this type of program. (I am not sure if the Mich State Osteopathic School of Medicine does this -- i think it is just the human medicine). Anyway -- a friend of mine from high school was admitted into this program. It is a combined undergrad / MD program. They allowed her to major in anything she wanted and they basically set up her 4 years for her and told her what classes to take and when. She was exempt from taking the MCAT; however, she could have taken it to see what she would have gotten but it wouldn't affect her being admitted to the school of medicine. She had to maintain a G.P.A. of 3.5 as well. She ultimately left the program to pursue nursing at a different university, because she began to realize medicine was not for her.

Her admittance into the school of medicine was provisional though. If she fell under the G.P.A. of 3.5 and if she received less than a C in any of her pre-req's, she was to be terminated from the program.

This is how it is for me too... I need to maintain a 3.5 or greater science GPA. I should be ok. If I didn't get accepted this year I would have had to take the MCAT.

i think it's called early acceptance or something. i have a friend who was accepted to SUNY upstate for after her junior year (she graduated early and started the next year). she didn't take the mcats, just had over a 3.5 GPA (i think this is overall and science) and had over a 1300 on her SATs.

i think it's called early acceptance or something. i have a friend who was accepted to SUNY upstate for after her junior year (she graduated early and started the next year). she didn't take the mcats, just had over a 3.5 GPA (i think this is overall and science) and had over a 1300 on her SATs.

There is a difference between early acceptance and B.S./M.D. programs. I am unsure of what the op is, but with early acceptance, the candidate is usually accepted their junior year, and in some cases they are still required to take the MCAT. For the B.S./M.D. programs, students are accepted their senior year in high school. They are promised admissions into that schools medical school under the contingency that they meet all of the schools guidelines set out.

There is a difference between early acceptance and B.S./M.D. programs. I am unsure of what the op is, but with early acceptance, the candidate is usually accepted their junior year, and in some cases they are still required to take the MCAT. For the B.S./M.D. programs, students are accepted their senior year in high school. They are promised admissions into that schools medical school under the contingency that they meet all of the schools guidelines set out.

I guess I'm more like the B.S./M.D. thing, except that I wasn't accepted until my junior year of college. Basically I have to take all of the classes needed for my B.S. that I won't get in my first year of medical school. After my first year of medical school I will recieve a B.S. from my original university.

You must be in the Partner's program. I can get you in touch with classmates of mine that are also in it and they can tell you what they think. Send me a PM with your email and I can get one of them to contact you (or I could just give you their email addy's).

Its nice not having to take the MCATs, isn't it? :p

Hope it works out. My opinion, is that they're not likely to withdraw their offer unless you get a D.

Oh, and for the rest of you guys wondering. There are several state schools that have an agreement with KCUMB (Alabama and Mississippi for certain) in which our program accepts 2-3 students as a Junior and they automatically matriculate into KCUMB that fall (thereby completely circumventing any senior year courses in college, along with avoiding the MCATs). I believe they are technically still students of the state school and get their bachelor's degree after finishing their MSI year. They are required to do their third year clerkships back in their home state.

There are only two Partner's program students in my class (they're the first ones), and I believe three in the 2010 class. Really smart cookies, those guys. They come close to setting the curve on almost every exam.

You must be in the Partner's program. I can get you in touch with classmates of mine that are also in it and they can tell you what they think. Send me a PM with your email and I can get one of them to contact you (or I could just give you their email addy's).

Its nice not having to take the MCATs, isn't it? :p

Hope it works out. My opinion, is that they're not likely to withdraw their offer unless you get a D.

Oh, and for the rest of you guys wondering. There are several state schools that have an agreement with KCUMB (Alabama and Mississippi for certain) in which our program accepts 2-3 students as a Junior and they automatically matriculate into KCUMB that fall (thereby completely circumventing any senior year courses in college, along with avoiding the MCATs). I believe they are technically still students of the state school and get their bachelor's degree after finishing their MSI year. They are required to do their third year clerkships back in their home state.

There are only two Partner's program students in my class (they're the first ones), and I believe three in the 2010 class. Really smart cookies, those guys. They come close to setting the curve on almost every exam.

You're correct, it is a partnership plan out of Alabama. I don't need to talk with anyone though; I already have my answer. Thanks for the offer. :thumbup:

oh and no MCAT is definitely something I won't complain about :D

I'd call KCUMB and ask. I know a few people that have used this route to KCUMB.

Many don't understand what a benefit it is to be able to skip the MCAT and all the application stuff...WELL worth it.