Altus Assessments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dindjarin87

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get an email from someone named Alex MacIntosh from Altus Assessments about our interview experience thus far? They state that they're conducting survey research on bias in the interview process.

Did not come directly from an Altus Assessments email but rather via "http://gmail.mcsv.net/"

Seems weird?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get an email from someone named Alex MacIntosh from Altus Assessments about our interview experience thus far? They state that they're conducting survey research on bias in the interview process.

Did not come directly from an Altus Assessments email but rather via "http://gmail.mcsv.net/"

Seems weird?
I'm not an applicant this cycle, but I have been studying things pretty closely in anticipation of applying next cycle, so I have what you might or might not consider an informed opinion. :cool:

You are right to be concerned, because anytime you receive an email from someone other than the purported sender, it is definitely a little sketchy. That said, this might be for real, because Altus is the kind folks who bring us CASPer, and they sneakily tried to shove a VITA alternative down people's throats this cycle without telling anyone that no school was actually using it! People only learned this when they started freaking out and calling the CASPer schools!!!

So, it's very likely the survey is for real (especially because other people are also receiving it) and they are trying to develop data regarding interview bias to try to sell their BS CASPer Snapshot product to schools. Personally, I think their CASPer test is crap, and am seriously considering whether to subject myself to it next cycle or just dump the few schools I am planning on applying to that still use it. It seems like more and more schools are dropping it every year due to its questionable value, so maybe I'll luck out and more will drop it next cycle!! :)

Bottom line -- it's probably not a scam, but I see no reason to give them free market research given how expensive their stupid test is and given how questionable their business practices are. Among other reasons, unless someone blatantly acts in a discriminatory manner towards you in the interview, how the hell are you, as the interviewee, supposed to be able to knowledgeably identify interview bias, which is almost always hidden and maybe even inadvertent or unconscious? JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user