Always running out of time on PAT and RC sections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashleyzzzzz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips for improving your speed in answering PAT and RC sections?
I am currently using Crack the DAT PAT but seems to be consistently running out of time in every single time... I don't have much problem figuring out the answers (usually 90-100% of being the correct ones), and I don't particularly get stuck with any problems, yet I am consistently running out of time. Test day is coming close, and I am totally in a panic. I am already following strategies, so any tips on what I should do to save time? I have no idea why I am just unusually SLOW.... :(
Also running out of time for RC, but haven't paid too much attention into reading scientific articles in a while. Tips and suggestions also appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your weakest part of the PAT? With Crack, I would focus on your weakest sections and get your timing down. I was good at cube counting, hole punching, and angle ranking, but pretty bad at TFE. I allotted more time for my weaker sections (up to 15 minutes for TFE), and tried to get the other sections completed within 5-7 minutes. Practice is key, and if you don't put yourself in a timed test taking situation, you will probably run out of time on the actual exam.
For RC, take a few practice exams and figure out which works best for you: Search and Destroyer or reading the passages and then answering. Some people do a combination of the two where they read the first few passages, then go to the questions and answer as many as possible before reading again. Whatever you find that works on your practice tests, use it on exam day. The last thing you want to do is not have a clear strategy going into the exam. I have read about people on here that tried Search and Destroy, only to have it backfire and then they tried to read the passage in its entirety but bombed and ran out of time. Best of luck

Is it even possible to get your time down to 5-7 each section?! I really don't have any particular problem if I am given 30-45 minutes of time for the PAT section...
For example, for the cube counting section of my last practice, it's fairly standard that I don't think I have wasted time on anything particular, maybe just from looking up and down alternating between counting and writing stuff down. Other than that, I can't think of anything else I could be more efficient with. Yet I am still have 5 questions left (timed myself for 10 mins)...
And hole punch -- also don't have any problem particularly, but just slow. A lot of people suggest only 5 minutes. But for me, even if I don't get stuck somewhere, it would take me a good 10-15 mins to go through the "unfoldings" step by step. T.T
Key Hole / Angle/ TFE / Pattern Folding -- there are cases when I know it will take more time for me, so I just skip those after a quick glance. Not running out of time nearly as much as the other two sections.
My overall Crack the DAT PAT is in the 15-17 range with a week of practice. Seriously terrified!

For hole punch use the line of symmetry method this should allow you to finish in about 7-8 minutes max. I would roughly allocate 5 mins for angles, 8 mins for cubes, 8 mins for hole punch, 12 mins for pattern folding, 13 mins keyholes and 14 mins TFE (my worst section). For RC the only way to get your time down is to practice. At the start I would be guessing on like the last 5 questions but by around my third practice test I was finishing with 3-5 mins to spare. My passages on the real DAT were even shorter than what I saw on Bootcamp (which is a great resource for doing RC practice btw). They were about 7-13 paragraphs. So just keep practicing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course you can do a section in 5 to 7 minutes but you need to practice. Another strategy is to do the sections you are best at first and aim for 15/15. If you can do very well on 3 sections and maybe 10/15 on the others, you should still be able to get a 19 or 20 overall

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh!!! Thanks for everyone's reply, and I found out the real reason why i was always running out on time... I didn't realize the timer starts before you hit problem #1 and the timer continues even between different sections, so I was taking my time to do the set up and stuff!!!! Duh.... dumb me.....