Am I applying to too selective of programs (MD-PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am an MD-PhD hopeful hoping to enroll in an MSTP program next fall. While I have worked hard to put together a competitive application, I am mostly unprepared to decide which schools to apply to. Over the past few weeks I investigated programs on a variety of criteria and came up with a list below. Yet, given that these programs traditionally take 1-2% of applicants, I am wondering if I am setting myself up for an unsuccessful application cycle. I would love feedback saying my list is a joke, other programs to consider, etc.

Application Relevant Information:
MCAT - 524
GPA Cum - 3.99 | GPA ("science") = 4.00
Clinical Research - 8 months
Basic Science Research - 20 months
*Worked on a variety of prostate cancer projects. Currently working on a non-invasive DNA mutation detection assay.
Major - Molecular Biology
Interests - Cancer Biology. Interested in practicing some type of Oncology and performing basic science research related to my cancer interests.

Clinical Experiences & Volunteering:
- Worked in a hospital for three consecutive summers with observations
- Lived in a hospital abroad for two months while volunteering
-Volunteered in housing for people with an HIV positive status and chronically homeless

List of Schools (N= 15)
Case Western Reserve University
Harvard University
Stanford Unviersity
Johns Hopkins University
University of California (@ San Fran)
University of Michigan
Mayo Clinic
University of Pennsylvania
Duke University
Baylor University
Icahn School of Medicine
Columbia University
University of Chicago
Ohio State University (in-state)
University of Cincinnati (in-state)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply to an additional 5-10 schools. You have the great trifecta, but I don't see anything that would separate you from the other top tier candidates (eg publications, unique experiences, etc.). You'll probably be fine, but it doesn't hurt to play it safe if you can afford it.

Reactions: 1 user
Top heavy + your state schools + other Midwest schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people will advise you that you need more, or that 15 is just enough - but honestly, you will be in excellent shape with your list. You have several top-tier schools, your local schools (though in-state preference is less of a factor for MSTPs), and you are certain to have a place next year provided you are diligent with your statements and interviews.

Fyi- you should be applying to Baylor College of Medicine- not "Baylor University". These institutions are not affiliated.
Also- you should apply to WashU.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I noticed that a couple of top applicants on sdn decided to matriculate to Weill Cornell over schools on your list so you may want to consider it as well. Best of luck this app cycle!

I noticed that a couple of top applicants on sdn decided to matriculate to Weill Cornell over schools on your list so you may want to consider it as well. Best of luck this app cycle!

Yeah definitely throw in Cornell Tri-I, especially since your main interest is cancer bio. Tri-I's affiliation with Sloan Kettering makes it one of the best MSTPs for cancer research/students interested in oncology specialities. Might also want to add in NYU if NYC is a desired location, plus WashU since it's one of the powerhouse MSTPs (though understandable to leave it off if location is an issue). Northwestern might be worth adding if you can stand to finish their secondary. Otherwise your list looks good to me.

Last edited: