Am I competitive enough for ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgtaroll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year at SUNY Downstate (US/MD school) and thinking about ENT. I feel like I'm right at the center of the pack (at least for ENT applicants) right now and I don't know what to do to really make myself stand out. I did pretty well during my first two years, honors or HP for all but two (out of ~18) of my blocks. My Step I score is 237/99, which I'm happy with, but I know, could be better. And I've done Neurology and Medicine so far in clerkships, both of which I honored. I start surgery next, which I know I need to do well in to get into ENT. I don't know about AOA yet, though I feel like I could be in pretty good standing for it.

I haven't done any research yet in med school as I spent my first summer tutoring in a summer anatomy program at my school and took the summer easy. I'm looking back on it and regretting this decision now, as I've seen that most ENT applicants who match have multiple research projects. What kind of projects can students get involved in during third year and on? If I'm really serious about this, should I consider taking a year off to do research? How involved are most of these projects that students are participating in, or is this just one of those games in getting something down on paper (like everyone plays to get into college and med school)?

What else can I do to really make myself stand out? I've seen mixed things about away electives, and although I don't think I'm totally dull or an annoying prick, I suppose you never know how you'll come off to others. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will say that most students we review have some sort of research experience. The vast majority of them either have their names on case reports or as the Xth author on some peer-reviewed journal article. The next most common is a student who presented a poster at a national meeting or gave an oral presentation at a national meeting. Rarely are students first authors on any major peer reviewed paper or non-peer reviewed chapter, etc. Some have research in areas other than ENT.

Therefore, the average applicant has some research exposure and has taken part in some publication or some future publication.

In terms of your Step I score, you have an average score (for ENT matches).

If your grades are mostly H or HP, then you have average grades (for ENT matches).

If you have average attributes, the chances are reasonable that you will match. You increase your chances with good letters of recommendation, an insightful personal statement, a solid interview, and by not annoying the residency program coordinator (who usually is a secretary who has 1000 things to do each day).

Please don't take this as an assault on your individuality; however, numbers are numbers and numbers are important when it comes to cut-offs. Many residency programs don't let people in the door with scores below a certain number.

How bad is it not to get honors in surgery? 3rd year feels very subjective. Either I work hard and get good evals, but then I get screwed on the shelf, or I do good on the shelf and get so-so evals...

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad is it not to get honors in surgery? 3rd year feels very subjective. Either I work hard and get good evals, but then I get screwed on the shelf, or I do good on the shelf and get so-so evals...

As a n=1, I received near honors on Gen Surg (honors for everything else), rest of application is fairly average (maybe a little above) for ENT, and I am getting plenty of offers. More invites than rejections at this point, anyways.

Now if you don't get honors on your sub-i, that's more of a red flag from what I understand.

I think it's obviously ideal to honor it but not a gamebreaker...especially with consistent honors throughout 3rd/4th year. At least that's the case in other surgical subspecialties. They know it's subjective. It is important to honor the sub-i in the specific surgical specialty, though.

Hey everyone. I'm currently a 3rd year and I'm very interested in ENT. I've decided it is absolutely what I want to do. Unfortunately I did terrible, and I mean terrible, on step 1. I've done okay on 3rd year so far. I go to a school with a highly ranked ENT program and I have already done the rotation, which I honored. I'm starting some ENT research and should get a pub out of it. For the most part I have been a very average student, but I really can't see myself doing anything other than ENT. When I was on the rotation I looked forward to getting up every morning and loved every minute of my time there.

I know my chances of matching are very very slim. Any advice? I'm in some serious need of direction.

Hey everyone. I'm currently a 3rd year and I'm very interested in ENT. I've decided it is absolutely what I want to do. Unfortunately I did terrible, and I mean terrible, on step 1. I've done okay on 3rd year so far. I go to a school with a highly ranked ENT program and I have already done the rotation, which I honored. I'm starting some ENT research and should get a pub out of it. For the most part I have been a very average student, but I really can't see myself doing anything other than ENT. When I was on the rotation I looked forward to getting up every morning and loved every minute of my time there.

I know my chances of matching are very very slim. Any advice? I'm in some serious need of direction.
When you say terrible on Step 1, what does that mean? For some terrible is a 201, for others, its a 245. Which are you?

Cut off for several places is generally a 230 in regards to screening for an interview. With that said, if your score is below that, that does not mean life is over. A past student 2 years ago at my medical school match with a Step 1 of 217, but he honored almost, if not all of his 3rd year clerkships, did an away, had ENT research and got great letters. He also took Step 2 early and destroyed it. I think the most important thing you can do right now is email some of the faculty at your institution and get something rolling right now. Go to the OR/clinic on your free time to establish rapport and hopfully and friendly professional relationship with preferrably an attending with "pull" be that a chairman, program director, or division chief, ask them to be your advisor and make sure you schedule frequent meetings with them, ask them to call programs that you like that would otherwise throw your application in the "rejection" pile. Unfortunately, Step 1 is the initial foot in the door, if you get a 260, you can drop the ball on 1 or 2 of the above things mentioned above and still be competitve. However, if you do not have that score, there is very little room for error. Also, you should do an away to get your face on the map. One is fine, but doing more certainly does not hurt. I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the response. My step 1 is <217. Ouch...

I'm a 3rd year at SUNY Downstate (US/MD school) and thinking about ENT. I feel like I'm right at the center of the pack (at least for ENT applicants) right now and I don't know what to do to really make myself stand out. I did pretty well during my first two years, honors or HP for all but two (out of ~18) of my blocks. My Step I score is 237/99, which I'm happy with, but I know, could be better. And I've done Neurology and Medicine so far in clerkships, both of which I honored. I start surgery next, which I know I need to do well in to get into ENT. I don't know about AOA yet, though I feel like I could be in pretty good standing for it.

I haven't done any research yet in med school as I spent my first summer tutoring in a summer anatomy program at my school and took the summer easy. I'm looking back on it and regretting this decision now, as I've seen that most ENT applicants who match have multiple research projects. What kind of projects can students get involved in during third year and on? If I'm really serious about this, should I consider taking a year off to do research? How involved are most of these projects that students are participating in, or is this just one of those games in getting something down on paper (like everyone plays to get into college and med school)?

What else can I do to really make myself stand out? I've seen mixed things about away electives, and although I don't think I'm totally dull or an annoying prick, I suppose you never know how you'll come off to others. Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks!

I’m an ENT resident myself. Your situation looks fairly comparable to mine, so based on that I’d say you’re competitive. But then again, like myself, you’re not a shoe-in. The reality is that it’s not just your Step 1 score and the number of “honors” you get. It’s also the comments you get on your clerkship as well as your interview. It seems to me that getting spots in ENT is a lot like getting into medical school. Beyond the “cutoffs” for board scores, there is some element of it being a crapshoot.

Rather than start my own thread, I thought I'd revive this old thread as I have the same questions. I am very much interested in ENT, having done a year long preceptorship in H and N surgery as an MS2 last year. My step one score is average/below average for ENT as of the charting outcomes 2011 (I got a 242), and my first two years of grades were 12 honors, 4 high pass, and 3 pass. I am currently in my first rotation of third year. My evals so far from residents/attendings have been very positive (I have gotten them so far from my residents and attendings on medicine this month and my ENT attending from my preceptorship) so I think I will have no problem getting good letters and making good impressions in interviews. I have no research experience yet in medical school, but will be attempting to get some before I apply to make myself more competitive. I did a month long family medicine preceptorship during the summer between MS1 and MS2.

So I'm just wondering what you all, who have much more experience with this process than I do, think of my chances are of getting into an ENT program if this is what I decide to do? I appreciate ya'll taking the time to read this and any advice is very much appreciated.

Oh, and I will have a three week elective in ENT in March. Just a little bit more info.

Last edited:
Rather than start my own thread, I thought I'd revive this old thread as I have the same questions. I am very much interested in ENT, having done a year long preceptorship in H and N surgery as an MS2 last year. My step one score is average/below average for ENT as of the charting outcomes 2011 (I got a 242), and my first two years of grades were 12 honors, 4 high pass, and 3 pass. I am currently in my first rotation of third year. My evals so far from residents/attendings have been very positive (I have gotten them so far from my residents and attendings on medicine this month and my ENT attending from my preceptorship) so I think I will have no problem getting good letters and making good impressions in interviews. I have no research experience yet in medical school, but will be attempting to get some before I apply to make myself more competitive. I did a month long family medicine preceptorship during the summer between MS1 and MS2.

So I'm just wondering what you all, who have much more experience with this process than I do, think of my chances are of getting into an ENT program if this is what I decide to do? I appreciate ya'll taking the time to read this and any advice is very much appreciated.

Oh, and I will have a three week elective in ENT in March. Just a little bit more info.

I think your chances are excellent to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your chances are excellent to match.

Agree.

Chances are good. You just need to nail your ENT rotations and the interview.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'll add on as well and I appreciate the insight- Just started 3rd year and have recently become interested in ENT as a future career option. I'm specifically wondering about research needed to go into ENT but first here's my info

School --- very good school, with a top tier ENT program

1st 2 years ----- all passes, no red flags or anything

School sponsored summer research program after 1st year ---- did Emergency Medicine research, currently drafting manuscript and will be 1st author but has nothing to do with ENT, hoping to be submitted and accepted by next spring to Circulation but keeping fingers crossed

STEP1 - 250

3rd Year - just started, haven't gotten any final grades back. Finished Outpatient, now on Neuro, next is surgery, where I'll have my first 2 weeks of the rotation on the ENT service.

My question is whether or not I need to complete some ENT research or case studies or something if I do end up deciding that ENT is what I want to do after my surgery rotation? Advice on my upcoming 2 week stint on the ENT service is also appreciated.

Thanks!!

My question is whether or not I need to complete some ENT research or case studies or something if I do end up deciding that ENT is what I want to do after my surgery rotation? Advice on my upcoming 2 week stint on the ENT service is also appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sounds like you're in good shape grade and USMLE-wise.

Yes, do some ENT research. You still have plenty of time- use your 2 week rotation to sniff out some projects to work on.

There's a recent thread on how to ace your rotation, check it out.

sorry wrong forum

Last edited:
Sorry to ask this, I know that this was eluded to in another thread within the last year, but I can't find it, and this thread seems to fit the bill.

I am in the opposite position of the previous posters on this thread. I have a really good board score, but I am really struggling with the Honors situation. I didn't honor IM or Surg despite honestly killing myself on both rotations.

It sounds like everyone is saying that honors doesn't matter as much as long as you do well on your sub-I. But I wanted to ask the attendings for an idea of the order of importance of accomplishments. So basically rank the following in terms of importance to you: board score, research, AOA, surg honors, Sub-I honors, LORs, etc.

The reason I am asking is because I see on the charting match outcomes, that of people that got >251 on boards 64 matched and only 1 didn't. Do you think that this is just self-selecting and that people with that high of score also nailed the other criteria or are there certain levels of accomplishment that all but guarantees matching (barring you lack social skills)?

So here's my story (cliff notes version):
Current MS3 coming from an allopathic school with a relatively new oto department. 240 Step 1. Didn't honor the IM clerkship (so close, still stings), currently on my junior surgical clerkship. Research: wrote up an ENT case report which is still pending, one general surgery research project still underway, one hematology project with a professor I really hit it off with. How am I looking? Do I have a shot?

Reading a lot of talk about research on here and just have a question. In the US, what is considered to be research/publications? Here we only really count a paper in a peer reviewed journal but it sounds like you maybe count presentations as publications?

Reading a lot of talk about research on here and just have a question. In the US, what is considered to be research/publications? Here we only really count a paper in a peer reviewed journal but it sounds like you maybe count presentations as publications?

A presentation at a national meeting for example would fall under publications as classified in ERAS. Technically it is not a publication. But that is just how ERAS classifies certain presentations.

Looking for an honest reply from an attending on here. I go to St. Georges University (Carib school). Got a 239 on Step 1. Is it even worth my time and money to apply for ENT residencies? Thanks for the honesty.

Apologies. Neutopeniaboy already answered this question on another post.

Hi stats below, any feedback is appreciated:

USMLE1: 238
USMLE2: Not yet
AOA: No
3rd year: Mostly Pass, honored 2 rotations (we are H/P/F)
Research: 7 publications (2 first author, 5 in ENT basic science), 3-1st author under review, 15 abstracts (oral and poster)
LOR: Have known chair, vice chair, and faculty for 4 years.

Haven't taken a year off, almost done with MS3 year.

How competitive am I if I were to apply in the next match? Would taking a year off help? What is my weakness/is it possible to overcome this? Should I do aways for more regional interviews (have been in CA for undergrad and med school)?

Thanks!

Hi stats below, any feedback is appreciated:

USMLE1: 238
USMLE2: Not yet
AOA: No
3rd year: Mostly Pass, honored 2 rotations (we are H/P/F)
Research: 7 publications (2 first author, 5 in ENT basic science), 3-1st author under review, 15 abstracts (oral and poster)
LOR: Have known chair, vice chair, and faculty for 4 years.

Haven't taken a year off, almost done with MS3 year.

How competitive am I if I were to apply in the next match? Would taking a year off help? What is my weakness/is it possible to overcome this? Should I do aways for more regional interviews (have been in CA for undergrad and med school)?

Thanks!

You are competitive.

Weaknesses:

1. USMLE. You are below average but should get interviews at several places.
2. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. For those with borderline or below average Step 1 scores, it's good to show improvement.
3. Grades. The more honors, the better.
4. AOA. Many people have it.

Strengths:
1. Research. Much more than most.
2. Potential LORs. If they have known you as long as you say they have, they should be glowing.

Having said all this, your strengths outweigh your minor weaknesses.

Taking a year off will not help you substantially.
Apply broadly.

You are competitive.

Weaknesses:

1. USMLE. You are below average but should get interviews at several places.
2. Haven't taken Step 2 yet. For those with borderline or below average Step 1 scores, it's good to show improvement.
3. Grades. The more honors, the better.
4. AOA. Many people have it.

Strengths:
1. Research. Much more than most.
2. Potential LORs. If they have known you as long as you say they have, they should be glowing.

Having said all this, your strengths outweigh your minor weaknesses.

Taking a year off will not help you substantially.
Apply broadly.

Thank you.

Hi all,

So I am an M3. I am trying to decide among plastics, ortho, ENT, and urology. My initial interest was to shoot for plastics because I love free flaps and MSK. I'm now realizing that ortho has a lot of MSK (obviously) and ENT has plenty of free flaps, and urology, well I really enjoyed urogyn surgery. Anyways, I'm now sitting on several basic science abstracts/posters from undergrad, 1 first author basic science publication from undergrad, 1 first author plastics manuscript being submitted soon, and 1 second author plastics manuscript being submitted soon, and a couple plastics abstracts/posters. Additionally, my plastics PI said he'd write a rec for me and would probably help make some calls when the time comes (does plastics even matter to ENTs? I'm assuming they only want to hear from ENTs)

My step 1 was 265. So far, M3 I've honored 3 of 4 rotations (high pass ob gyn because I missed 2 points on the shelf).

I'm rotating through ENT in two weeks for a short 2 week block and a 2 week ortho block after (only elective time I have in M3). Aside from continuing to shooting for as many H's as I can, anything else I can do to improve my chances at ENT? I'm into doing aways in California, as I am trying to couples match there (significant other wants to do peds, has step 1 and grades similar to mine). Any recommendations for programs there that would be a good fit for me to try and lock down a spot with my background? I've heard from some people that there is more of a chance for me to screw up my application by doing an away rotation because of my numbers. However, most people on the wards have commented that I am an awesome team player that works hard to learn a lot and help out.

Any thoughts would be great!

Your main problem seems to be figuring out what specialty you want to do. You'll probably have a better idea once you do your elective rotations. Once you figure that out, reach out to faculty in your chosen specialty and get some research started.

Otherwise your grades and scores are outstanding and good enough for any specialty.

For the California question, you should consider doing an away if you don't have some other tie to CA or the west coast already (i.e you are from there or went to college/med school there).

here's yet another "what are my chances" post...apologize for the redundancy and appreciate the input from fellow students/residents/attendings.

i'm an MS3 about 5 months into 3rd year. i came into medical school and 3rd year wanting to do peds, and just loved surgery, which really surprised me. might have been the fact that i did it in a rural/community setting and was doing (heavily!!) supervised trachs/lap choles/small hernia repairs on my own. in any case, i discovered that i really enjoy working with my hands. i still haven't lost my passion for working with kids, however. i looked into pediatric surgery, but i didn't want to wait that long before i could begin my career (already feel so old at 24...). my general surgery attending had to go out of town and i got the chance to scrub in and talk to an oto doc who was a grad from my school. he did medical school and most of his residency as a single father and was really inspiring. he told me that the field has a very rich pediatric experience and significant continuity of care, especially with pediatric patients. and i really enjoyed the breadth of oto pathology. took a few months to click, but now i'm really thinking more of oto! i now regret not having an official 3rd yr clerkship in oto simply because i wasn't even thinking about surgery when i first scheduled my 3rd year.

my stats aren't great, mostly because i was mentally prepared for peds. i just wanted to get some extra eyes on this and get some tips.
step 1: 240
grades: ive been a pretty solid B student my 1st 2 years. i've done IM in which i got a B (89.6....still stings), surgery - A, psych - A, currently on neuro. i have OB, peds and family medicine next semester. not really sure about class rank/AOA situation
research: no research in medical school. i was working with an ophtho resident on a project, but she moved off to fellowship and the project has been on hold since then. i have 2 neuroscience publications from undergrad, one 2nd author and one 3rd. we do have a home residency program, but i'm at a satellite campus most of the year in a different city. i have recently reached out to the department to see if they would sit down with me to discuss my application and possible offer me some research.

i do have elective time june of my 3rd year in which i could do research, a home sub-i or even knock out step 2 in.

anywho, now that that's all out there, i'd appreciate any honest feedback about what my chances are and if there's anything i can do to improve my application! thank you so much!

Your Step 1 is near the average for matched applicants these days, M3 grades look pretty good so far, especially if you can keep the A streak going. Preclinical grades are below average but less important.

Research is a big hole that needs to be filled- I would start making connections with your ENT department ASAP so you can get something started and they can get to know you.

You should be competitive if you can keep the good M3 grades going, improve on your Step 2 score, and get some research and ENT experience.

As far as peds, you'll certainly get plenty of exposure in general ENT to pediatric patients, and there's always the option of a 1 year peds ENT fellowship after your residency.

here's yet another "what are my chances" post...apologize for the redundancy and appreciate the input from fellow students/residents/attendings.

i'm an MS3 about 5 months into 3rd year. i came into medical school and 3rd year wanting to do peds, and just loved surgery, which really surprised me. might have been the fact that i did it in a rural/community setting and was doing (heavily!!) supervised trachs/lap choles/small hernia repairs on my own. in any case, i discovered that i really enjoy working with my hands. i still haven't lost my passion for working with kids, however. i looked into pediatric surgery, but i didn't want to wait that long before i could begin my career (already feel so old at 24...). my general surgery attending had to go out of town and i got the chance to scrub in and talk to an oto doc who was a grad from my school. he did medical school and most of his residency as a single father and was really inspiring. he told me that the field has a very rich pediatric experience and significant continuity of care, especially with pediatric patients. and i really enjoyed the breadth of oto pathology. took a few months to click, but now i'm really thinking more of oto! i now regret not having an official 3rd yr clerkship in oto simply because i wasn't even thinking about surgery when i first scheduled my 3rd year.

my stats aren't great, mostly because i was mentally prepared for peds. i just wanted to get some extra eyes on this and get some tips.
step 1: 240
grades: ive been a pretty solid B student my 1st 2 years. i've done IM in which i got a B (89.6....still stings), surgery - A, psych - A, currently on neuro. i have OB, peds and family medicine next semester. not really sure about class rank/AOA situation
research: no research in medical school. i was working with an ophtho resident on a project, but she moved off to fellowship and the project has been on hold since then. i have 2 neuroscience publications from undergrad, one 2nd author and one 3rd. we do have a home residency program, but i'm at a satellite campus most of the year in a different city. i have recently reached out to the department to see if they would sit down with me to discuss my application and possible offer me some research.

i do have elective time june of my 3rd year in which i could do research, a home sub-i or even knock out step 2 in.

anywho, now that that's all out there, i'd appreciate any honest feedback about what my chances are and if there's anything i can do to improve my application! thank you so much!

A presentation at a national meeting for example would fall under publications as classified in ERAS. Technically it is not a publication. But that is just how ERAS classifies certain presentations.

A question about this....

If I'm 2nd author on a project which was presented at a national conference by the first author, does that count as a presentation for me? How does that work?

Also I have 3 poster presentations at national conferences (albeit very insignificant ones) that don't show up on Pubmed searches, should I still list these presentations? If so, do I need to provide a way to verify that I actually presented them?

A question about this....

If I'm 2nd author on a project which was presented at a national conference by the first author, does that count as a presentation for me? How does that work?

Also I have 3 poster presentations at national conferences (albeit very insignificant ones) that don't show up on Pubmed searches, should I still list these presentations? If so, do I need to provide a way to verify that I actually presented them?

There is a thread on the ERAS forum that sort of goes through most of that stuff. For the 1st case I think that is not included on the ERAS form as a presentation because you can represent it as publication (if there was one) or research experience at the least. The actual poster presentations you did can be represented as presentations. Unless a program wants some verification (which I haven't heard a program doing) then it isn't necessary to have any...

Your main problem seems to be figuring out what specialty you want to do. You'll probably have a better idea once you do your elective rotations. Once you figure that out, reach out to faculty in your chosen specialty and get some research started.

Otherwise your grades and scores are outstanding and good enough for any specialty.

For the California question, you should consider doing an away if you don't have some other tie to CA or the west coast already (i.e you are from there or went to college/med school there).

I loved otolaryngology. :love:

I don't have any ties to the west coast aside from my significant other being from there. We want to either be there closer to her family or stay in the northeast, closer to my family. Since I only have ties in the northeast, any suggestions for California programs that would be good for me to rotate at?

Last edited:
I'm decided now. I love otolaryngology. :love:

I don't have any ties to the west coast aside from my significant other being from there. We want to either be there closer to her family or stay in the northeast, closer to my family. Since I only have ties in the northeast, any suggestions for California programs that would be good for me to rotate at?

I'd recommend talking to the PGY1 and 2 residents at your home program about their experience applying/interviewing to get a better idea of the current status at specific programs. In general, the vast majority of programs are good. I don't know much about West coast programs. I would say pick your rotations based on location.

Other than doing away rotations, it would be helpful to have faculty from your school call people they know at CA programs after your application has been received to let them know you are interested in matching at CA programs. ENT is a small field and people in academia tend to know each other.

I only recently decided I want to ENT and would like your all's feedback on my residency chances. I'm a 3rd year at a top 40 state medical school.
Step 1: > 250
Step 2: Taking in Nov/Dec this year
AOA: No; however I'm in the top 1/3 of my class. All H and only a few HP in first two years.
Clinical Grades: HP in surgery, yet to do IM, my ENT elective, or OB (where I stand I feel like I will get either a HP or H in these and hope to bust my ass for an H in IM). H in everything else.
Research: Paper submitted for ortho journal. Presentation at a national ortho conference. Case report in ortho.

Thanks

Current M-3 here, interested in ENT and asking if I'm competetive (I suspect that I'm on the lower end of applicants, and am grateful for any guidance
-USMLE Step I: 245
-3rd year clerkship grades: IM(pass), OB/GYN (pass), Peds (pass), currently on surgery.
-No publications, but plenty of research experience

I'm really worried about my clinical grades; my clinical evaluations are excellent but I end up coming up short on the shelf exams. Hoping to change that for the rest of my rotations; again, any advice is appreciated.

Current M-3 here, interested in ENT and asking if I'm competetive (I suspect that I'm on the lower end of applicants, and am grateful for any guidance
-USMLE Step I: 245
-3rd year clerkship grades: IM(pass), OB/GYN (pass), Peds (pass), currently on surgery.
-No publications, but plenty of research experience

I'm really worried about my clinical grades; my clinical evaluations are excellent but I end up coming up short on the shelf exams. Hoping to change that for the rest of my rotations; again, any advice is appreciated.

If you honor surgery, that is your most important clerkship. Is your medical schools grading system pass/honors or pass/high pass/honors? If you straight up pass all your clerkships that works againt you pretty hard. That is pretty hard to explain.

Otherwise, if your clinical evaluations are "excellent", then that implies you would be in a position to get good LORs, and do well on interviews. Get some research going.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

So here's my story (cliff notes version):
Current MS3 coming from an allopathic school with a relatively new oto department. 240 Step 1. Didn't honor the IM clerkship (so close, still stings), currently on my junior surgical clerkship. Research: wrote up an ENT case report which is still pending, one general surgery research project still underway, one hematology project with a professor I really hit it off with. How am I looking? Do I have a shot?

So I have yet to honor a single rotation (H/P system). Am I in bad shape?

I would like any feedback on my residency chances.

Step 1: 236
Step 2: Not sure when I am taking
AOA: applying, wont know for a month or so
First 2 year grades: 13 ish honors, 3 HP
Clinical Grades: 5 Honors 1 HP, H in ENT, in Surgery currently

Research: 3ish research projects outside ENT with 1 abstract and 1 poster but no publications still recruiting...
1 case report in ENT submitting for publication and a poster accepted
have an ENT mentor who I have known for 5+ years

Other-10+ volunteer and leadership positions

Just wondering for feedback due to my lower than average step 1 score and getting different feedback about when I should take step 2.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sticky for these questions

Take a look

Research: 3ish research projects outside ENT with 1 abstract and 1 poster but no publications still recruiting...

Other-10+ volunteer and leadership positions including ENT chair of the Student Surgical Society, CPR instructor, Free Clinic volunteer

Just wondering for feedback due to my lower than average step 1 score and getting different feedback about when I should take step 2.

Thank you!

Sent via Tapatalk.

Other-10+ volunteer and leadership positions

Thank you!

Still very doable with your step 1 score. You seem to be on the right track, so I don't think anyone would discourage you from applying. Doing better on step 2 would help, and there is some room there so I would encourage you to put on you big boy/girl panties and go for it, but, it is your call on how likely you are to improve. In the end, you should keep doing all the things you need to be doing (see NPBoy's sticky), apply broadly, and good luck with your interviews!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

CRAP! I just got my Surgery Grade and only got a Pass. I worked my self into the ground and did well on the shelf but my school has every attending in the department complete evals and while I got some fantastic evals from the most of the docs I actually worked with, I got straight 3/5's from a few that I didn't work with much.

I feel like my application is still strong so I'm not trying to fish here, but ideally I want to stay at my current program and my department chair describes it as "quite competitive." How much does not honoring IM and surg hurt me??

Step 1: 259
1st year: HP
2nd year: P
Honors in Neuro, Psych, Peds
Pass: Ob/Gyn, Surg, IM (I SUCK!!)
Yet to do: Family, ENT elective

Research: 4 pubs (3 in ENT), 5 presentations (including oral pres. at the academy meeting)

CRAP! I just got my Surgery Grade and only got a Pass. I worked my self into the ground and did well on the shelf but my school has every attending in the department complete evals and while I got some fantastic evals from the most of the docs I actually worked with, I got straight 3/5's from a few that I didn't work with much.

I feel like my application is still strong so I'm not trying to fish here, but ideally I want to stay at my current program and my department chair describes it as "quite competitive." How much does not honoring IM and surg hurt me??

Step 1: 259
1st year: HP
2nd year: P
Honors in Neuro, Psych, Peds
Pass: Ob/Gyn, Surg, IM (I SUCK!!)
Yet to do: Family, ENT elective

Research: 4 pubs (3 in ENT), 5 presentations (including oral pres. at the academy meeting)

I think you'll be fine. :bang:

Sent via Tapatalk.

I think you'll be fine. :bang:

Sent via Tapatalk.

HAHA. Well where else are we going to anonymously work out our neurotic getting-ready-to-apply-for-residency issues if not on here??

Basically, I met with the director of our program and the nice warm fuzzies I was hoping to get about having a decent application turned into him not even batting an eye and basically saying, "well congrats...you're the average ENT applicant, and you better work hard to honor that surgery rotation," and he went on to say that not honoring in IM and surgery essentially negate my good board score.

A)I guess it's kind of eye opening as to the competitiveness of the field.
B)I know he is just one man at one program, but that's pretty harsh in my opinion and I wanted to see if others agreed

:stopbanginghead: :)

Last edited:
Been lurking around the ENT section for a while and appreciate all the good advice. I'm really liking surgery right now and am considering ENT (particular peds ENT) as a possible career. Can I run my app by you guys?

Step 1: 247
Step 2: Try to push back as long as possible
MS3 Grades: A's and B+s. Will give it my all to get A on surgery.
Research: Here's where it gets interesting. I've never been published in The Laryngoscope or whatever the ENT one is. I spent 3 yrs before med school as a medical device engineer and actually designed fixation systems and instruments for various OMF, Neuro, and ENT surgeries. I've done a lot of "research", but it's "published" on the company's Z drive and not in famous journals. I loved my time on the commercial side, but will it come anywhere close to being first author in a prestigious journal?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I'm aware I need to make the A on my ENT rotation and get some solid letters. Do I need to scramble to do another research product? I feel like I'm lacking on the academic side.

Last edited:
Read the sticky.

Sent via Tapatalk.

The sticky is much appreciated and it's apparent how much thought was put into it.

If I could rephrase my last post into one question, is my research and development experience something that really sets me apart or am I going to look like I'm avoiding the academic setting?

Last edited: