Am I considered disadvantaged? (english second language)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laktario

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came to the United States alone when I was 19 years old. In South Korea, I lived in a rural area where I did not have a chance to speak English since the public school I attended only taught reading and listening English. Without experience in speaking and writing English, having to write essays and communicating with professors in college was not easy. I had to spend longer time than others to finish homework and send a simple email. After realizing that I need to invest a long time to achieve a good grade, I used this deficiency as a stepping stone to improvement. I planned a detailed daily study schedule per semester. If I had an essay to submit, I started writing it a couple of months before the deadline and constantly visited the writing center for advice. Also, I utilized office hours to grasp the missed parts of the lecture. By actively reaching out for help, I could improve my English proficiency along with time management skills, which ultimately helped me gain a high GPA. After two years, I could get into a nursing program and fluently communicate with patients in a professional-level of English. However, I still have an accent and often get noticed by others, and am considered a foreigner. Although I am still improving on my accent, I do see it as a disadvantage since I have easily gotten judged by people even before they get to know me.
After working in the healthcare field for two years, I learned to accept myself and worked hard to give a good impression to my patients by providing the best quality care with my diverse background.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not see why you'd be disadvantaged if you can already speak English fluently. Some schools do require a TOEFL score if English is not your first language, but as long as you pass their minimum requirement, schools should not discriminate against you solely because of language.
I can relate to being judged by accents. I moved to the US when I was in middle school and still have an accent. It's not heavy but definitely noticeable. My recommendation is just to stop caring about people that judge you by your accent (If they're your patients then nvm. Treat them with love). Most people who speak multiple languages understand how hard it is to learn and speak a second language and should respect you. Those that judge you probably only speak English for their whole life, and their act of judging people by their accents only shows arrogance. Be proud of who you are and how far you've come!

Reactions: 1 users
If English as a second language would qualify as disadvantaged status, that would include a minimum of 20% of the US population.

Reactions: 1 user