Am I considered URM applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PopayanDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if I am considered a URM applicant. I was born in Colombia (South America) and moved to the U.S. when I was 11 years old. I became a U.S. citizen a year ago. I am confused because of the different definitions of URM that I've read in previous posts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was wondering if I am considered a URM applicant. I was born in Colombia (South America) and moved to the U.S. when I was 11 years old. I became a U.S. citizen a year ago. I am confused because of the different definitions of URM that I've read in previous posts.
Colombians are not URMs. However, if you're fluent in Spanish and have a history of working with underserved communities, you might get a boost at certain schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

South Americans are not. Only Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. However, if you still speak fluent Spanish that will come in handy especially in schools that serve large Latino communities.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your quick replies! So is there a difference between applying as a URM and applying as a person of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin? I guess I'm asking because of this table (https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/factstablea24-1.pdf) which shows MCAT and GPA data for Hispanic or Latino applicants and matriculants. I know the admissions process is a lot more holistic than this, but I like to look at numbers to see if I should even try to apply. Can I use this chart to determine my chances?

Thank you all for your quick replies! So is there a difference between applying as a URM and applying as a person of Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin? I guess I'm asking because of this table (https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/factstablea24-1.pdf) which shows MCAT and GPA data for Hispanic or Latino applicants and matriculants. I know the admissions process is a lot more holistic than this, but I like to look at numbers to see if I should even try to apply. Can I use this chart to determine my chances?
I would use MSAR.

What are your stats?

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC does not make the determination of UIM status, individual schools do.
Many Hispanics are not considered UIM and many that are get very little "boost" without language skills and commitment to service. Your outcome will vary depending on all these factors.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all again. You're very kind. I am (of course) a native Spanish speaker and have been a medical interpreter for almost two years now. I am having trouble deciding where to apply to schools. I really have no idea where to start with this. I have a 3.85 overall GPA and a 3.71 BCPM GPA. I, however, have made a possible mistake by doing too much molecular biology research for credit. I have taken a total of 32 credit hours (all of them graded as A) for the past 3 years or so. I have been published as a second author once, and as third author twice (with 8 abstracts presented as posters at 3 different conferences). If I don't count my lab credits in my GPA, my BCPM GPA is a 3.53. I have a 509 on the MCAT. Should I apply as if I had a 3.53 GPA instead of a 3.71 because of my research credits?

Last edited:
Thank you all again. You're very kind. I am (of course) a native Spanish speaker and have been a medical interpreter for almost two years now. I am having trouble deciding where to apply to schools. I really have no idea where to start with this since I have no close relatives . I have a 3.85 overall GPA and a 3.71 BCPM GPA. I, however, have made a possible mistake by doing too much molecular biology research for credit. I have taken a total of 32 credit hours (all of them graded as A) for the past 3 years or so. I have been published as a second author once, and as third author twice (with 8 abstracts presented as posters at 3 different conferences). If I don't count my lab credits in my GPA, my BCPM GPA is a 3.53. I have a 509 on the MCAT. Should I apply as if I had a 3.53 GPA instead of a 3.71 because of my research credits?
Your state schools are always the best place to start. Buy the MSAR and consider schools that take at least 20% OOS where your AAMC stats are at or above the median. If they serve a significant Spanish speaking community, so much the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all again. You're very kind. I am (of course) a native Spanish speaker and have been a medical interpreter for almost two years now. I am having trouble deciding where to apply to schools. I really have no idea where to start with this since I have no close relatives . I have a 3.85 overall GPA and a 3.71 BCPM GPA. I, however, have made a possible mistake by doing too much molecular biology research for credit. I have taken a total of 32 credit hours (all of them graded as A) for the past 3 years or so. I have been published as a second author once, and as third author twice (with 8 abstracts presented as posters at 3 different conferences). If I don't count my lab credits in my GPA, my BCPM GPA is a 3.53. I have a 509 on the MCAT. Should I apply as if I had a 3.53 GPA instead of a 3.71 because of my research credits?
You might also want to throw in some reach schools that serve a sizable Hispanic population.

For example, your sGPA and MCAT are either at or above the 10th percentile at USC, UCLA and UCSD (I'm not sure how they factor in the research credit so I'm going with the 3.5 sGPA to play it safe). That said, make sure you apply to a good amount of safety schools i.e. where your stats are above the mean. ¡Buena suerte!

Thank you all for your support and responses!