Am I crazy?..... Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherriefizz90

Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student on my journey to a reinvention of my undergraduate GPA. Lucky for me, I did not take any medical prereqs in college. I took Biology 1 after failing my freshman year and got a B. Chem 1, I had a B+ first attempt. I am following my undergraduate GPA using a spreadsheet to keep track and it's not good (2.6 from a Community college degree and four-year college). I had children very young and am a part of the disadvantaged youth.

This was over 10+ years ago and I have since recovered in graduate school. I have a dual master's in early childhood/special education (48 credits - 3.45) accepted into an EdD program at another institution and completed 60 graduate credits (3.89) and two advanced certificates in education from this university. I have taught math/science since leaving college in low-income communities and also work with autistic toddlers using ABA after school.
These are most of my Why's for medicine.

I went back to my local college where I graduated from and the director of pre-health told me I should be a doctor when discussing a career change. At first, I thought it was crazy. I had my last child (number 4) and didn't think I could do it. Now that my son is a little older. I started taking pre-req and doing well. I also am taking genetics, micro, and A and P 1 and 2 to help my science and overall GPA. I do not want to do an SMP, especially as I am already in large amounts of student loan debt.

Can I get into a DO school by doing well in my prereqs? Do you think Adcoms will consider my graduate credits and degrees?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not want to do an SMP, especially as I am already in large amounts of student loan debt.
I Don't THINK YOU'LL NEED AN SMP.

Can I get into a DO school by doing well in my prereqs?
YES

Do you think Adcoms will consider my graduate credits and degrees?
NO