Am I doing enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mz23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my third year, I just transferred to Benedictine University from Harper college with a 3.5 GPA. I don't think that I will take the MCAT this year because I won't have taken Biochem or Physics. My question was, are the following extra curriculars enough?
1. Joined AMSA of BU
2. Joined MSA (Muslim Student Association)
3. Volunteered at Sherman Hospital for 1 year
4. Shadowed a pediatrician as well as a psychiatrist (once a day for a month each)
5. Taught at the Sunday School at my mosque for 3 years

Is that enough? If not, what else should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my third year, I just transferred to Benedictine University from Harper college with a 3.5 GPA. I don't think that I will take the MCAT this year because I won't have taken Biochem or Physics. My question was, are the following extra curriculars enough?
1. Joined AMSA of BU
2. Joined MSA (Muslim Student Association)
3. Volunteered at Sherman Hospital for 1 year
4. Shadowed a pediatrician as well as a psychiatrist (once a day for a month each)
5. Taught at the Sunday School at my mosque for 3 years

Is that enough? If not, what else should I do?

From that description your ECs look a little bit light. Try to seek out other volunteer opportunities. Your most meaningful one is #5 which is great, and you might be okay with just that, but I'd encourage you to explore anything else that interests you to add on.

Did you actually interact at all with patients in #3? If not, you'd definitely need some clinical experience.

Also take your time and write the MCAT whenever you're 100% sure you'll do your best. That's obviously the biggest question mark for you, so you need to do well.

Try getting some more regular clinical volunteering (weekly) or some research on campus.

Amsa unfortunately doesnt count for much.

Members don't see this ad :)
#3 -- how many hours
#4 -- how many hours

If #3 is <150 you're light.
If #4 is <40 you're light.

Also you're going to try to go allo with no research whatsoever? Unless you're URM (and even then, kinda), bad idea.

Also you're going to try to go allo with no research whatsoever? Unless you're URM (and even then, kinda), bad idea.

Not true about the research. 10-20% of matriculants have no research experience, and it's likely that a good chunk of those that do actually have really inconsequential research experience that adcoms probably didn't care about. Research experience is important for research-heavy schools, not for MD in general. It's a plus, but should be prioritized behind getting more clinical experience and volunteering done if you're light on those.

What if I can add on the following:

6. Worked with "the Scheme of Waqfe Nau" (a Muslim foundation) at a local/national level for 5 years
7. Went to a trip with Humanity First to Guatemala (this will be clinical)
8. Was a caregiver to a heart patient for about 6 months
9. Volunteered at a Nursing home (one day a week for 1 year)
10. (I also interned at a hospital and at Walgreens Pharmacy in my senior year in high school, should I add this?)

I will try to get some research in there as well.

Not true about the research. 10-20% of matriculants have no research experience, and it's likely that a good chunk of those that do actually have really inconsequential research experience that adcoms probably didn't care about. Research experience is important for research-heavy schools, not for MD in general. It's a plus, but should be prioritized behind getting more clinical experience and volunteering done if you're light on those.

Right. I'm saying there's no point in OP reducing chances by totally bailing on research, at least if going allo. If DO, then f*ck it don't waste your time.

Agreed it should be after clinical + volunteerism + shadowing, in any case.

What if I can add on the following:

6. Worked with "the Scheme of Waqfe Nau" (a Muslim foundation) at a local/national level for 5 years
7. Went to a trip with Humanity First to Guatemala (this will be clinical)
8. Was a caregiver to a heart patient for about 6 months
9. Volunteered at a Nursing home (one day a week for 1 year)
10. (I also interned at a hospital and at Walgreens Pharmacy in my senior year in high school, should I add this?)

I will try to get some research in there as well.

#9 is fantastic clinical experience, that would be awesome

#7 I wouldn't recommend. Going abroad is one of those things that for some reason is still recommended, but is now seen by most people as incredibly bland and cliche'd, and overvalued by students. If this is something that you're genuinely passionate about then definitely do it, but if you're doing it for med school you shouldn't bother.

edit: If you can seek out a research opportunity yeah that would be nice, just make sure you're not doing it to the exclusion of clinical. Also feel free to add in some fun ECs, sports etc., it doesn't all have to be volunteer work you want to live your life and adcoms appreciate that

How did you manage to shadow a psychiatrist?

Okay, thanks. So 1-9 should be enough then?

Oh also OP it may be worth mentioning: don't lie about anything. Seems some people on here have this idea in their head that they can get away with bullsh*tting some things. You're much better off just....not doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
#10 don't include anything from high school unless you continued it on into college.

#7 you don't need to go abroad for service. Find something in your own backyard. Try soup kitchens or homeless shelters.

Okay, thanks. So 1-9 should be enough then?

Don't look at this as being enough. Do stuff that you enjoy and that you can talk about in interviews. Not as items in a checklist. Interviewers will see right through you and your efforts if you do that.

How did you manage to shadow a psychiatrist?

I have not yet. I am just trying to figure what will stand out to med schools, but the psychiatrist is a family friend so he is willing to help

Reactions: 1 user
Don't look at this as being enough. Do stuff that you enjoy and that you can talk about in interviews. Not as items in a checklist. Interviewers will see right through you and your efforts if you do that.

Thank you. I am just terrified of not getting into a med school.