Am I doing this right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoVoiceOfMine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been reading through all the postbac/non-traditional threads for a while now and you guys are awesome. I didn’t know premeds could being so helpful and nice to one another :) . After reading through a sea of pages I’m still not confident about how to start my journey toward med school.
My stats are: 2.06 BCPM gpa (mostly C’s with the occasional + or - )/ 2.5 cum gpa and I graduated from UCLA bio in 2003. After a couple years of trying different things, I had a so- to-speak “awakening” of what I wanted to do in this life which brings me back to the medical school path. I’ve been taking a couple ochem classes at UCI and aced all of them so far. If I pursue a DIY postbac, as I am doing, I think that it will take upwards of 3+ years to fix my battered gpa, which will leave me old and gray at the end. However applying to formal postbacs is usually out of the question because most require a gpa near 3.0, a great resume, etc.

So what do you guys think?
1. Should I just “keep-on-keepin-on” the DIY route as I’ve been doing for the next 3+ years?
2. Should I do one/two years of DIY and then apply to a formal postbac?
3. If I took my DIY route at Harvard extension (I hear they take anyone) and did well, got sponsored, etc. would that be a shortcut?
4. SMPs were suggested but most require a lot more than I have to offer at this time. Should I apply anyway?
5. As of right now I’m planning on either going back to UCLA to retake all my science courses through extension or moving up north to do a DIY at SFSU. Of the two what do you guys think would be a better path?

I’ve never posted before so please go easy on me. I’m very sorry if I asked any questions that have been rehashed over and over again. Any feedback at all would be sooooo appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

If you show a track record of improvement you shouldn't have an issue with a formal program. I am in a similar GPA situation but I'm only planning on doing about 50 credits of DIY.

It depends on what YOU want to do. If you have the money to do the prereqs then a formal post-bacc as well as the family structure I would suggest that. I know plenty of people who just did the DIY and got in to med school (MD schools mostly). Although you can't go back in time, the more time you have between your prior grades and now to show that that you have improved your grades really does matter.

We don't know what is "best" for you as people who know you would know how you learn, your drive, etc. With your research you need to develop a plan that works for you! Your never too old!

hey there

i'm in a similar boat with you. i also graduated from ucla in '03 as a bio major (go bruins! :) ) I had a 2.7gpa with around 2.5 bcpm gpa. i also took a year's worth of upper divs and a few chem classes (over again) at uci and aced them this past year, while applying to smp programs. i'm hoping to "redeem" my background by going to boston u for the masters in medical science program (georgetown was too good for me). how long were you taking classes at uci? if it's about a year or more, you can apply to smp's, get in, and ace them. if you're serious about getting into medshcool, no one can stop you! :D i was thinking about taking the DIY route but thought doing an smp would better ensure my chances, since most smps are all about taking medschool courses to show that you're "their material". whatever rocks your boat! let us know which route you end up taking!!

gluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and words of confidence. I think I have a pretty good feeling of direction now seeing that I simply have to show improvement (and lots of it) before applying to smps. I've only taken three chem (1g and 2 ochem) classes so I know I have a ways to go.

mshheaddoc: Are you basically gonna take those 50 credits of DIY and apply to a formal postbac/smp? (I'm used to the unit system so I'm not sure how much a credit is worth in comparison - please pardon my ignorance). I was kind of a relieved to hear that my only option wasn't to just do DIY for years and years (I prefer some structure).

gh: That's wierd that we were in the same major at the same school in the same graduating class...small world :) . I was also looking into the Boston masters program (along with a slurry of others). When are you applying? If I get my game together maybe we'll be at the same school at the same time again :p.

NoVoiceOfMine said:
(I'm used to the unit system so I'm not sure how much a credit is worth in comparison - please pardon my ignorance).

I think the conversion is 1 semester unit = 1.5 quarter credit.

NoVoiceOfMine said:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and words of confidence. I think I have a pretty good feeling of direction now seeing that I simply have to show improvement (and lots of it) before applying to smps. I've only taken three chem (1g and 2 ochem) classes so I know I have a ways to go.

mshheaddoc: Are you basically gonna take those 50 credits of DIY and apply to a formal postbac/smp? (I'm used to the unit system so I'm not sure how much a credit is worth in comparison - please pardon my ignorance). I was kind of a relieved to hear that my only option wasn't to just do DIY for years and years (I prefer some structure).

I am not going to do any post-bacc. I'm just taking about 15 classes or so (including prereqs - except chem, i'm not retaking that but i'm retaking ochem). I have my MBA as well, so I figure that with that and then I will work towards a 2nd degree in biochemistry as well with good letters of recommendations I should do well. There are no formal post baccs for me to attend where I'm located.

hi novoiceofmine,

i'll be entering into bu's ma program this fall (did uci last school year). one thing i wish i'd done was APPLY EARLY!!! because i applied more later in the year, there were a lot of stuff i could have avoided (that and also, i took the april MCAT for the first time so admissions coudlnt' really do anything until the scores got in, which was around mid-late june). these smp/gradschools are pretty much admitting people on a rolling basis and the sooner you get your stuff in, the sooner you find out.

i thought i was going to drexel so i drove all the way out from ca to philly, only to have bu call (after i put down a deposit for an apt already). bu was one of my top choices so i had to drop the deposit and drove up to boston.

if you have other questions, give me a holler. i've been helped by so many helpful sdn'ers, just want to pass on that help to others. :)

NoVoiceOfMine said:

gh: That's wierd that we were in the same major at the same school in the same graduating class...small world :) . I was also looking into the Boston masters program (along with a slurry of others). When are you applying? If I get my game together maybe we'll be at the same school at the same time again :p.

hey gh and novoiceofmine,

i just graduated UCLA with similar stats as the both of you. gh, how much money did you spend at UCI for those classes? im not sure if i wanna stay around so cal or go up north to sfsu to do my pre-reqs again... what do you suggest?

thanks...

Hi gh,

Is it an advantage to take the MCAT before applying to SMPs? Also, congrats on getting into BU! I hope to follow your lead up that route.

...and Jokii2Ash, I'm also thinking of going up to SFSU. Seems like a good number of UCLA grads go up there to do their postbacs. Not sure if it's for me yet (have to do some more reading on the board).

hey jokii,
i took a years worth of classes at uci starting summer (2 classes), fall/winter/spring 3 classes each. i know $600 is a lot to be paying for EACH class so i worked part-time as an instructor at one of the academies in fullerton to cover the cost of my classes. i wasn't too eager about taking out a loan so this was the way for me to go

no voice,
most of the competitive (thus, effective) smps require, or at least consider the MCAT as a somewhat good indicator of an applicant's potential to succeed in their program. but for schools like georgetown, if you have a pretty solid gpa but your mcat isn't too good or is mediocre, you have a good chance at getting into the program. if you have a good understanding of the material (spent a good amount of time prepping, took upper divs recently, etc), taking the mcat wouldn't be a bad idea. i dont know how effective an smp program is at improving an okay/weak mcat...unless you're talking about drexel's msp program, which is geared for just that.

gh... i'd like to do a post bac, but im not sure if i should do all of my pre-reqs again. did that help you go to BU's program? i'd really want to do something like that or SMP. which classes did you take at UCI to help you do better with your GPA? UCLA is crazy hard since everyone is pre-med in the bio dept. i'd like to find a way to get past the past.

hey...i'm in LA right now and debating between trying to work during the day to finish some of my prereqs at extension (which is going to be tough) or do a second bacc at cal state. are you definitely thinking of leaving the socal area...if not, would like to chat about options and UCLA in general.. (only took french there before i moved to france...so dont' know much about the other academics). message me when you get a chance..thanks!

jokii2ash said:
gh... i'd like to do a post bac, but im not sure if i should do all of my pre-reqs again. did that help you go to BU's program? i'd really want to do something like that or SMP. which classes did you take at UCI to help you do better with your GPA? UCLA is crazy hard since everyone is pre-med in the bio dept. i'd like to find a way to get past the past.

I asked Aimzs88 (who is at UCLA extension) a bunch of questions last week....hope this answers some of your questions. Aimzs88 is awesome btw...she answered all these questions within a couple hours (much thanks to her).

-------------------------------------
Hi Aimsz88

I was wondering if you could answer some questions about the UCLA extension program seeing that you are probably the only one on the board who’s attending there. I graduated as a bio major from UCLA with a science gpa of 2.06 in 2003 and am a not good candidate for any of the formal postbac programs out there (they want 3.0’s and up) so going back to my alma mater through extension seems most fit. I was wondering:

1. What classes are you taking? lower div courses, some upper divs?

ucla extension offers all the basic science courses and a smattering of upper division courses....there is one problem with basic chemistry not offering a lab, and for that most students just try to take it concurrently during the day at ucla or take the lab at santa monica college, something like that. my plan is to redo my basic sciences and then take some upper divisions. i'm not sure it's the right thing to do, mind you; just like you i get a lot of conflicting advice about what to focus on.

2. Are the classes as competitive as with the regular undergrads? in one of your posts you mentioned that the extension classes are filled with pre-meds.

yes, they're alright. perhaps not as competitive as a 400 person class because you're only in there with 30 people...but every person in there has a drive, a reason to be there at 11 pm at night talking about physics.

3. Where do you get counseling? I’ve done the whole L&S couseling but they don’t really know in-depth about what to do.

this is the yucky part about extension. no counseling. squat. this is a do it yourself type of deal...i'm stressing out in search of counseling as well...perhaps since you are alma mater, you could still consult with the pre med undergrad advisors at ucla.

4. How long do you plan on doing this program before you apply to a med school?

another year for sure, perhaps one more. because most of my classmates and i are working full time and trying to take classes, it's impossible to load up all at once. i would recommended two classes at the most if you're working full time.

5. How and where can I find a job such as yours, where I can gain experience, get letters of rec (since there’s no committee letter), and earn an income.

well, you can pay your bills by doing research. that's what i'm doing. i'm a laboratory assistant at the medical school...true, it pays like ****, and the full time hours are killer...but you gotta do what you gotta do, at least for me. you have to start at the bottom before you move up...and work your ass off like you never have done before. you probably can shoot all birds then...get a letter of rec, pay your bills, and get experience. from what i know now, there is no committee letter, but when i apply, i think i'm going to try to bug them to write me one. i don't know yet.

6. Do you know of anyone being successful in entering a medical school through this particular route?

ahaha...yeah, i try to poke around and ask that alot. ucla extension office is not allowed to track students in that manner, but the word is that people can and do get into medical school. a classmate of mine recently got into new york medical college and was waitlisted at usc, last i heard. so i think its possible.

7. If I end up going to UCLA, I will have to enter during the Winter quarter and I was wondering if I could make up what I miss during Fall in the summer?

you have to be careful about this. the pre med classes you want will definitely not be offered every quarter (for instance, if you decide not to take the second b quarter of a class, you can't take it the quarter after that. you must wait until its offered again next year during b quarter) ...bottom line, some are, some aren't. you have to work out your schedule.
------------------------

:)

jokii2ash said:

i think you should think about retaking classes you got a C- or lower in. I dont know how significally you can raise your gpa by retaking C or B classes =not worth it. you're better of taking upper div science courses and busting you butt out to really do well! at UCI, i took parasitology, a genetics course (bioscie 137B i think), chem 51C, intro molecular bio, a neuroscience course, i'm not sure off the top of my head, (pm me if you want the specifics) but dont worry too much about which courses, as an extension student at uci, you can only take open classes anywyas.

gluck!

SMP programs are fairly competitive to get into also. They have avg gpas like 3.3 and 26-28 mcat.

If i was you i would apply to the carribean schools. Save urself 3 to 4 years of taking undergrad classes and jumping through hoops for adcoms. That 3 to 4 years u save could be spent on doing, internships, research, fellowships or even doing an extra residency if one is required before getting a really competitive residency.

For example if u really wanted neurosurgery. I would go to carrib. get a neurology residency for 4 years and then go into neurosurg. rather than spending that four years taking nutri sci., astro bio, history of bio, ecology...etc or other bull shlt classes.

A year or two of research after med school can open many doors. I have heard stories of carrib. students land some competitive residencies after a year or two of doing research after graduation.

Just what i would do :)

If you don't want to leave the US, then retake classes and apply to DO schools, bc they will completely replace ur old grade with ur new grade (not avg like md schools) in their gpa calculations.