Am I foolish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megaman1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did SMDEP at UCLA awhile back, and they were the only site that accepted me. Not only that, I also loved the campus. For whatever reason, my main desire is to attend med school at UCLA even if I was accepted to other schools, etc. I'd even be willing to go through a new application cycle in hopes of getting an acceptance to UCLA if I was initially denied. Am I a fool?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea.

Reactions: 1 users
If you get an acceptance then you should take it. It's going to be difficult to explain why you are a re-applicant when you already had an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes very much...

It's
1) get accepted first
2) choose favorite school to matriculate

Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you don't matriculated when accepted you'll have to kiss your med career good bye.

Short sighted, immature, and yeah - a total fool.

So I did SMDEP at UCLA awhile back, and they were the only site that accepted me. Not only that, I also loved the campus. For whatever reason, my main desire is to attend med school at UCLA even if I was accepted to other schools, etc. I'd even be willing to go through a new application cycle in hopes of getting an acceptance to UCLA if I was initially denied. Am I a fool?

That is unwise. Getting into medical school itself is a blessing because many people don't get in their first time or second time applying.

Yes.

Ask yourself this, would you rather not be a physician than attend a different med school? If being a physician is your main goal, you should apply broadly to schools you are willing to attend and go to your favorite school that accepts you. If you absolutely want the best chance at UCLA, it makes a TON more sense to delay your application so you can apply once than it does to apply to several schools, with a less than ideal application, and plan to DECLINE ACCEPTANCES to re apply again.

Apply once with your best app possible and pick your favorite school from those that accept you. Anything else is, in fact, foolish.

I just feel like I'm indebted to UCLA because they accepted me for the wonderful opportunity. This is the main reason why I feel compelled to attend there for med school.

I just feel like I'm indebted to UCLA because they accepted me for the wonderful opportunity. This is the main reason why I feel compelled to attend there for med school.
Hoping to attend is fine. A compulsion to attend is not healthy.

Reactions: 2 users
You can't honestly believe that UCLA cares either way, right? You're just one in a line of (potentially) qualified applicants who's just as special as the snowflake next to them.

Come on now. What did the wise @Goro say once? Solipsism much?