am i for dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moy_05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that most of the posters here have some specific ability or skill or aptitude that they can count on. I know a little about a lot but nothing really stands out, thus, this leads to a confusion on what career i want to be in. I am finding it hard to specify my strengths. Again, i know a liitle about a lot. Is dentistry for me?any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

moy_05 said:
I have noticed that most of the posters here have some specific ability or skill or aptitude that they can count on. I know a little about a lot but nothing really stands out, thus, this leads to a confusion on what career i want to be in. I am finding it hard to specify my strengths. Again, i know a liitle about a lot. Is dentistry for me?any suggestions?

What you need to do is find something that you are interested in and focus on that. Everyone starts off as a beginner at one point or another and skill and aptitude is developed over time and with practice. Go find a dentist and follow him/her around and see if you like dentistry. If you can see yourself doing this the rest of your life then make the commitment to learn and train to become one. I don't think any one of us that will be starting dental school this fall as 1st years already have the skills necessary to become a dentist. That's why we're going school, to learn. :)

"The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well."
- Horace Walpole

Members don't see this ad :)
In the words of Yoda: "Do or Do Not... There is no Try." :laugh:

Whatever you decide.. go for it 100%. Hey, everybody has to start somewhere, but with a good positive mental attitude and determination - you will go far!

moy_05 said:

you have managed to tell us absolutely nothing about you other than the fact that you have absolutely no idea of who you are and yet you're asking us to ponder for you if a career in dentistry fits your mold.

dentistry may not be for you, but dont discourage yourself from something as related as yoga dancing, zoo keeper, or ebay broker.

polarnut said:
you have managed to tell us absolutely nothing about you other than the fact that you have absolutely no idea of who you are and yet you're asking us to ponder for you if a career in dentistry fits your mold.

dentistry may not be for you, but dont discourage yourself from something as related as yoga dancing, zoo keeper, or ebay broker.

or better yet, Life Coach or DCA (doctor of culinary arts)!!!...

to the OP,

is dentistry for you? most likely not. the very fact that you are questioning this tells you that it is not for you. become a life coach!!

moy_05 said:

Don't be discouraged because you are not completely sure what you want to do. Some people decide right away while some people find out later in life.

I decided to pursue dentistry only a couple of months ago. I know some people will give crap for that but I couldn't make up my mind before. In high school, I knew I wanted to be anesthesiologist and I'm sure almost everyone had something else in mind when they were younger. In college, I wanted to be everything. This includes being an architect, chemical engineer, airline pilot, graphic artist, anthropologist, and even a geologist. I have always been fascinated by science but I also had a creative side. I love photography and a photography professor used to encourage me to major in that after he saw my pictures.

Now, I am finishing up my Economics degree. I am an management intern in the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, DC. I have met so many people and started networking with a number of professionals. If I wanted to pursue this career, I could easily find a decent-paying job right now. However, I know that a few years down the line, I will not be happy with my career. I realized that I really want to go into dentistry. I think its the perfect field for me because I will get to meet people, help them, and to some extent, use my creativity. I also get to use my business-skills. All the other things I wanted to do can be my hobbies.

So whats the lesson here? Just relax. Things will come to you. Take a variety of classes. You will find that you know more than the 'focused' students. The classes I took ranged from Accounting to Classical Chinese Philosophy. I did well in all these classes because I truly enjoyed. So don't limit yourself by just taking classes in one field. There so much out there to learn.

Maybe it will take you a few years to find yourself. But you have time. Don't stress it. I have been working full-time and going to school full-time since I got of high school. From that experience, I can tell you that you shouldn't be in rush to be in the 'real world.'

rocknightmare said:
"The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well."
- Horace Walpole

I completely agree with this quote.

Even if someone is great in dentistry (or any other field), he/she needs to expose him/herself to other things. There are so many possibilities out there. How can you limit yourself by doing just one thing?

I also decided on dentistry late in life at age of 34!!

I've done a lot of different jobs in life and although I enjoyed most of them, I know that dentistry is for me. The feeling I had while shadowing/assisting in a dental clinic assured me of this.

Take your time in deciding what you want to do for it's the most important decision you can make. Don't freak out too much though because the good thing is that you can change it down the road. Just don't settle for a career you don't love.

moy_05 said:

1. I tell you what, if you have doubt and dont feel you can do it then NO its not for you.

2. If you have to ask such questions about a possible career in a public forum then NO.

3. JUST NO.