Am I just going to burn money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberryman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CANADIAN going into my fourth year. I'd like to study medicine in the US and apply to a bunch mid tier schools. I want to know whether based on my stats, if this is something worth doing.

cGPAs/year according to AMCAS
1st Year 3.81
2nd Year 3.78( 9 courses during the year) Took two courses in summer
3rd Year 3.94
4th Year probably around 3.85-3.9

science gpa for each year around the same

MCAT - 34
PS 13
BS 12
VR 9

ECs

-Tutored math science French about 2 years
-Volunteering at senior home 2 year
-Shadowed a pediatrician for 20hrs
-Team Captain for 2 years for a high school trivia team
-Worked as a greeter in a restaurant for about a year and a half
-Worked in a warehouse for a couple months
-Helped Translate texts for this independent film
- Worked as a swim instructor for 2 years
-Worked as lifeguard for 3 years have some extra certs like first aid instructor, advanced airway management ect..
-Took scuba diving courses and went on a couple of group dives over one summer
-Hospital volunteering 3 years.
- Worked and volunteered at a facility that caters to children with mental disabilities for about 3 years. I essentially played games with kids all day. Still work there.
- Volunteered in 2 labs and for one of them did a research related course.
- 3 random one time volunteer things
- prep101 evaluator- I helped choose who’d be the best in tutoring kids

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great stats, great ECs, apply to the schools around your median stats that accept and matriculate internationals (look at MSAR).

Also, high school activities generally do not count unless continued into college.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you havent' submitted your AMCAS yet, you are on the late end, since you won't be verified until late august at the earliest, if not early september. It's a big risk as an international not applying early. With that said, your stats and ECs are fine. If you applied after completing fourth year and earlier you would be in an excellent position for the majority of US MD schools that take Canadians.