Am I making the most of my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you're probably thinking you can work 7 days a week (M-F in lab and Sat/Sun as ER scribe) because you worked 7 days a week at school (classes, ECs, studying, etc). You really shouldn't.

The abroad thing, as mentioned in a few other threads, is all but ignored nowadays if they're the 2 week 'medical tourism' trips.

So overall I'd recommend having scheduled days off, enjoying your life a little bit, volunteer with Boys & Girls club, and applying early.

Anything else you guys would recommend? I want to make the most of this year off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am doing this except the weekends part (full time research, hospital volunteering 1 afternoon during week, non-medical volunteering every other weekend or so).
From my experience, you may get pretty burnt-out having no weekends and trying to fit all of that in. Would you potentially be able to work 2 part time jobs instead? That would give you a bit more flexibility and time.

Also, don't worry about the abroad trips. I did one, some people asked me about it, but by no means is not having that experience a bad thing.

I did one mission trip abroad, and no one asked/cared. They really focused in on the volunteering I did locally (and for longer periods). Even the U of M Admission Director had a tweet about volunteering locally instead of globally. The "international" stuff costs lots of money, the local stuff is truly your time, not your dime.