Am I on the right track/What should I do next summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior biology major (pre-med), and am starting to stress now that I'm getting closer to applying to medical school. I have a 4.0 GPA but feel like I might make a couple of Bs this semester. I'm not taking the MCAT until May 2015. I've volunteered at a free health clinic since the beginning of sophomore year, I've been in an undergrad research group that re-engineers medical training simulators since the beginning of sophomore year, I am a member of the Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children but I'm not that involved in it, I'm a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta (pre-health honor society), I did genetics research for a medical school professor this past summer, I went on a medical trip to Costa Rica and Panama, I write for the student newspaper, and I have a job lined up to tutor athletes for the university starting in two weeks. When I write it out, it seems like a lot, but I feel like I haven't done anything to distinguish myself from other applicants. What can I do to make myself a more unique applicant? Should I do more research next summer, or volunteer a lot, or maybe get certified as a CNA or EMR? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It's always best to do what you enjoy rather than what you think med schools want to see. I'd rather see someone write and talk with passion about what they did rather than just do another mindless volunteer job.

If you enjoy research, do research next summer. Research is always a good addition to an application, especially if you are applying to top schools.
If you want more clinical experience, being a CNA is great. A handful of my classmates were CNAs between undergrad and med school. Several were EMTs too. Just depends on what you want to invest your time and money in. It's perfectly fine to volunteer too.

Any hobbies? Things you like to do in your free time? Those can also provide fodder for interviews and make you a more interesting candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
I echo Ismet. Do something you enjoy. There are gonna be 1500 scribes, EMT's, people with CNA work, etc. If you like that stuff go for it. If you dont, do something you do love that is unique!

Members don't see this ad :)
Two things:

1. I hope you did something that makes you gush with affection or something during interview to show your passion. Mine was in teaching - totally unrelated to medicine.

2. I hope you take the MCAT sooner than May... You would have 1 shot at the MCAT, the new one no less, and you send you application in June 2015. I am not sure how soon you get your score since there is no written.

Two things:

1. I hope you did something that makes you gush with affection or something during interview to show your passion. Mine was in teaching - totally unrelated to medicine.

2. I hope you take the MCAT sooner than May... You would have 1 shot at the MCAT, the new one no less, and you send you application in June 2015. I am not sure how soon you get your score since there is no written.

It's still 30 days. The writing section had nothing to do with how long it took.

It's always best to do what you enjoy rather than what you think med schools want to see. I'd rather see someone write and talk with passion about what they did rather than just do another mindless volunteer job.

If you enjoy research, do research next summer. Research is always a good addition to an application, especially if you are applying to top schools.
If you want more clinical experience, being a CNA is great. A handful of my classmates were CNAs between undergrad and med school. Several were EMTs too. Just depends on what you want to invest your time and money in. It's perfectly fine to volunteer too.

Any hobbies? Things you like to do in your free time? Those can also provide fodder for interviews and make you a more interesting candidate.

I took a plant taxonomy course last fall that I loved, and my professor gave me a job in the botanical gardens for the spring. So would medical schools think it's a waste of time for me to spend my summer working there if it's something I enjoy? I guess I just didn't even mention it because it doesn't pertain to medicine.

Two things:

Someone told me that it's best to thoroughly prepare for the MCAT so that you only have to take it once, because medical schools don't like to see that it took you multiple attempts to get a good score. Is that not true? If not, I could take it in January and just study over my Christmas break.

I took a plant taxonomy course last fall that I loved, and my professor gave me a job in the botanical gardens for the spring. So would medical schools think it's a waste of time for me to spend my summer working there if it's something I enjoy? I guess I just didn't even mention it because it doesn't pertain to medicine.

Your whole life doesn't revolve around medicine, and your whole AMCAS application doesn't have to (and really shouldn't) revolve around medicine. It's nice to see people with interests outside of medicine too.

Your whole life doesn't revolve around medicine, and your whole AMCAS application doesn't have to (and really shouldn't) revolve around medicine. It's nice to see people with interests outside of medicine too.

Completely agree. It's refreshing to see things completely unrelated to medicine that people really dive into and dedicate themselves to. It shows your normal and makes it less likely that you're building your application around a pre-determined end (i.e., getting into medical school).

Someone told me that it's best to thoroughly prepare for the MCAT so that you only have to take it once, because medical schools don't like to see that it took you multiple attempts to get a good score. Is that not true? If not, I could take it in January and just study over my Christmas break.

Of course you want to only take it once, but there is a distinct possibility that you may want to retake. It's too late now to sign up for January test dates because everyone wants to take the old MCAT. Your earliest option would be in April of next year.

Two things:

It's still 30 days. The writing section had nothing to do with how long it took.

Actually, for the new test, the first two months of administration (April and May) will take longer than 30 days to be released. April's test scores will be released around mid-June. May's test scores will be released June 30thish. So you might want to plan accordingly.