Am I on Track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YanajYanaj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone,

I'm new here, so just wanted some initial advice! My situation is mildly interesting. I attend a very good university, and started out as premed. However, due to my being emotionally unprepared in my first two freshman quarters (worked very hard, but had no math or hard science background), I was forced to stop taking premed classes, and my GPA was tanked. I switched to a double major in Anthropology and Legal Studies, and have excelled in both.

I will actually be graduating a year early, so I am entering my senior year now, and although I cannot completely reverse the damage done to my GPA my freshman year, I should graduate with at least a 3.4 GPA.

Stats:
-3.4 ugrad GPA
-Did microbiology research throughout my freshman year, and into my sophomore year
-Was part of a prestigious research fellowship program at my university
-Extensive leadership experience; student body rep for Anthropology major, academic chair for the ugrad Anthropology society, and expect to receive interdisciplinary honors for both of my majors.
-Leadership position at a microloan nonprofit
-Volunteer as a mentor for middle school students
-Have a part time job at my school's study abroad office
-Intend to get volunteer hospital experience
-Will attend a one-year post-bac program at local university to complete premed sciences/begin MCAT prep; I don't intend to do a gap year after this; I'd just take the MCAT right after the post-bac, and apply.

My question is am I on track to be accepted to an allopathic med school? I feel as though I am making great strides towards this goal, but that I can be doing more. Your feedback is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have shown some upward grade trend in GPA for undergrad and maintain a 3.8+ GPA in your post-bacc (science courses), you should be on the right track. You should take a look at when you plan to take the MCAT because that will affect when your scores will be released and sent to AAMCAS. Timing is very tricky when applying to medical school, and you will want to submit and early and solid application to medical schools to gain a leg up other thousands of applicants.
With a cumulative GPA of 3.4, I recommend applying to schools with median or average GPA like yours. Invest in the MSAR for that purpose. Also, your MCAT score is a very important factor in your success to acceptance, so study well in your science classes because medical schools will look at these closely. This is your second chance so you better not screw up! That being said, good luck.

I'm not sure I got that right but you plan on taking all your premed sciences in one year? So 2 semesters of biology, chemistry, organic (taken concurrently with gen chem?), and physics WITH LABS in one year? And after struggling with sciences earlier? You may want to do a 2 year postbacc. If you get roasted in a masters program that's close to a death sentence. Also be sure to allot at least a month if not more to focus on studying for the MCAT. With a GPA of 3.4, you're gonna need a strong score to be competitive. What state are you from? You'll have a much better shot if you're from somewhere like Texas or Florida that has many state med schools. You can totally succeed in getting accepted but be sure not to rush into anything and blow it being impatient! Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rule out the DO schools however. MD can be a bit hard to get into because of the GPA but you seem like a dedicated hard worker that many schools will admire.

I'm not sure I got that right but you plan on taking all your premed sciences in one year? So 2 semesters of biology, chemistry, organic (taken concurrently with gen chem?), and physics WITH LABS in one year? And after struggling with sciences earlier? You may want to do a 2 year postbacc. If you get roasted in a masters program that's close to a death sentence. Also be sure to allot at least a month if not more to focus on studying for the MCAT. With a GPA of 3.4, you're gonna need a strong score to be competitive. What state are you from? You'll have a much better shot if you're from somewhere like Texas or Florida that has many state med schools. You can totally succeed in getting accepted but be sure not to rush into anything and blow it being impatient! Best of luck!!
Thanks for your reply; I am from North Carolina. And yeah, I was originally planning to do everything in one year, but I will consider taking a bit longer.

Don't rule out the DO schools however. MD can be a bit hard to get into because of the GPA but you seem like a dedicated hard worker that many schools will admire.
Thank you; I really do try to work hard :)

Thank you; I really do try to work hard :)
Your post-bacc GPA will be important.

Congrats on graduating early, fellow early grad here. Finishing undergrad that quick sure feels awesome, doesn't it? I also definitely know where you go ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Your post-bacc GPA will be important.

Congrats on graduating early, fellow early grad here. Finishing undergrad that quick sure feels awesome, doesn't it? I also definitely know where you go ;)
Haha, I won't even ask how you know that, as I made sure not to offer any information about my school, but lol! Thanks for everyone's answers; I feel slightly better about my chances, and more motivated to work harder.

Reactions: 1 user