Am I overthinking this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to X hospital for residency
Rotated there as a 3rd year (end of year, in specialty of interest)
Got LOR from said site
Can't find a VSAS slot for my specialty of interest during 4th year there
Am considering going there for a different rotation (not much left, would prob be Radiology of sorts, or Family Medicine)

Please advise! Good or bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's your specialty?
If it's not in your specialty then it probably won't do much to help, especially if you already rotated there and would benefit from another sub-I/away rotation in your field. You can always reach out to one of the attendings you worked with while rotating there (or the PD) and say something to the effect that you really enjoyed your time at the institution and want to explore it more but can only find spots in x specialties. They may be able to rustle something up for you or recommend a good alternative, and if not at least you'll have demonstrated your interest.
If the hospital is in a specific region far from your school then you may benefit more from finding a rotation in your field in another institution in the region.

Reactions: 2 users
Email the program dire
Got LOR from said site
Am considering going there for a different rotation (not much left, would prob be Radiology of sorts, or Family Medicine)

I don't like it. I think its better to email the program you love, profess that love and ask to rotate with them again. I bet they will find you a spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What if I reach out to the PD, and he sympathizes with me but doesn't offer me a spot or anything in the way of a solution. Bad sign?

What if I reach out to the PD, and he sympathizes with me but doesn't offer me a spot or anything in the way of a solution. Bad sign?

Not necessarily. I couldn’t get a spot at my school’s (now almost defunct) home program. There just wasn’t room to add me in. They already had two sub-i’s plus who knows how many MS3’s. It would be hard to get a quality rotation in that sense.

Got LOR from said site

So at KU Med, there is no opportunity for outside visiting students to apply for general IM through VSAS. It's not offered. Maybe try a subspecialty through VSAS.

Doing another rotation there is fine but seems like a waste if it's not a specialty you are pursuing.