Am I ready to apply for this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohanc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a bit lost when it comes to the application and how to judge my application. I keep seconding guessing myself and thinking I don't have what it takes to be a competitive applicant, but I think that's mostly my anxiety talking. I was planning on applying to about ~25-35 schools in total this cycle (mostly the T25 with some other schools as well).

Stats:

Graduated from UCLA in Dec. 2020
GPA: 3.88
MCAT: 522
Research Exp:
~1 quarter (100 hours) from a directed honors research class where we worked with Drosophila lines under specific gene KO conditions in order to visualize effect on hematopoietic cell populations
~ 3 years, including one summer, in a biochemistry lab at UCLA (~1600 hours) with one fifth-author publication. After my first year, I worked on independent projects with minimal supervision from my mentor. Also have one presentation from this lab at a summer research fair.
~2000 hours that I will be doing from this summer to next summer at the NCI through the post-baccalaureate program working in a biomaterials cancer lab

Clinical Exp:
~250 hours working for a nonprofit to set up a mobile clinic in the LA area; during the time I was there we were doing mostly health fairs as we were still acquiring funding for the mobile clinic
~150 hours as a scribe working for a clinic in LA

Nonclinical Exp:
~50 hours at a food pantry
~200 hours tutoring under-served middle school students in LA
~150 hours as an intern for the Sports Medicine program at UCLA (worked with injured D1 athletes and helped ATCs/PTs with any duties

Shadowing
None right now but I have some virtual hours and am looking for more opportunities for in-person if possible later this year.

Other:
-Was a mentor for my school's Biomedical Research minor (~20 hours) and helped students as they transitioned into their first lab (mentored about 2-3 students)
-Was an avid rock climber during college and went ~5 hours a week for about two years

Honors
Dean's List ~6 times and graduated with Latin honors

LOR:
Think I can only get two good letters from faculty (PI + one science teacher) rest will be average. Is getting a LOR from my mentor (grad student) a good idea?

Any help judging my application is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You are ready! Once you are deeper into the cycle and in your NCI post-bac, ask your PI at NCI to send a letter to those programs that interview you, which would be a very good number. While you are likely to end T25 MSTP, you should mix a variety of MSTPs based upon their competitiveness. Examine AAMC table B-8 and make a list of MSTPs by the ratio of applicants/matriculant. It will give you an idea of what your chances are across the nation. You need to have a mixture of at least 8-10 programs in each tier. The reason, the top tier will have a very low (relatively) hit rate, but you seem to have sufficient experiences... PM me if you need.

You look good. Just start writing early - 25-35 secondaries is no joke.