Am I screwed for lack of patient contact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnycage377

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad student planning on applying this year. Last year I did 6 months of volunteering at my local community clinic. It was mostly various administrative tasks and while I considered it a good experience unfortunately there wasn't really any direct patient contact.

I think my ECs are solid in terms of both dealing with people and exposure to medical settings, but I am worried that my application will be derailed because my clinical volunteering didn't actually have patient contact. Will this be a red flag on my application? Or will I still be good to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a non-trad student planning on applying this year. Last year I did 6 months of volunteering at my local community clinic. It was mostly various administrative tasks and while I considered it a good experience unfortunately there wasn't really any direct patient contact. My other ECs include:
-40 hours of physician shadowing
-1.5 years research
-chemistry tutor
-involved in a fraternity in college with lots of leadership experience, including non-clinical volunteering
-job in retail doing customer service

I think my ECs are solid in terms of both dealing with people and exposure to medical settings, but I am worried that my application will be derailed because my clinical volunteering didn't actually have patient contact. Will this be a red flag on my application? Or will I still be good to apply?
Can you demonstrate that you know what you are getting into? With what you have listed, I'm not really sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
family medicine, internal medicine, and plastic surgery
Most non trads have a lot more validation of their commitment to a life of caring for those who are acutely or chronically suffering. Since many of the people who will be willing to let you care for them when you are learning can also be marginalized from society, 40 hours in private practice settings as an observer seems light.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. Shadowing let's you know that you understand what a doctor's, day is like, and how different doctors do their different jobs.

you need a significant amount of patient contact experience to show us that you know what you're getting into (patients can be very different from what you see in "House"), and that you actually want to be around them for the next 30 years or so. We've rejected people who lacked clinical experience, as have other schools.

Would the shadowing not count for that?

Nope. Shadowing let's you know that you understand what a doctor's, day is like, and how different doctors do their different jobs.

you need a significant amount of patient contact experience to show us that you know what you're getting into (patients can be very different from what you see in "House"), and that you actually want to be around them for the next 30 years or so. We've rejected people who lacked clinical experience, as have other schools.
I see. I am planning on trying to get some more experience by getting a hospital position this summer, but I doubt I would get it in time to put it on my application if I submit in June. Would I at least have a chance at some schools? Or should I just not bother and apply next year?

I see. I am planning on trying to get some more experience by getting a hospital position this summer, but I doubt I would get it in time to put it on my application if I submit in June. Would I at least have a chance at some schools? Or should I just not bother and apply next year?
I can't say that every school would be unimpressed. Just mine.
Some schools take high school seniors!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get in without direct patient care, as some schools don't weight it that heavily, but it's going to be much more difficult for you to gain an admission overall.

Does volunteer work in an emergency room count as patient contact? Got to talk to patients, bring them food water etc

Try an app cycle and see how it goes.

I doubt you would have a very good chance at most schools and think it would be better if you waiteds a year to apply. Spend some time interacting with patients, the ER thing would count. Shadowing is a good insight into medicine, but it's also quite different when you're interacting with a patient yourself. You could use a year to gain clinical experience with patients, boost your EC's (can only really help), make/save up money, and maybe do something fun (new hobby?). Good luck.