Am I shooting myself in the foot with my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abualas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Today, I pretty much finished making my PS and my father read over it. Although I felt it was well written and genuine, my parents thought it was awful. I'm going to outline the general idea of what my PS was about and what he did not like. I want to know what you all think.

INTRO: I essentially discuss that I'm passionate for medicine now but I wasn't always so sure about it. I talk about how challenging and fatiguing it is, but go on later in my essay to discuss why I stuck with it.

My goal: I know medicine is tough but I have considered it as a whole and now I am committed.
My father's criticism: It makes me sound like I am wishy-washy and may potentially drop out.

Body paragraph 1: I talk about what I want in a career (be intellectually stimulated, leave a positive impact, and be autonomous). I talk about how I considered that other career paths may also do this for me but I looked into other career paths and ultimately decided they weren't for me.

My goal: I have looked at my alternatives and I can't see myself doing anything besides medicine.
His criticism: similar to first criticism of it making me sound wishy-washy and unsure about medicine. Also, he said talking about autonomy is a BIG NO and it makes me sound hard to deal with. Autonomy is a big subject in my essay, so cutting it would pretty much require me to restart from scratch.

Body paragraph 2: Shadowing experience. I saw a physician in his clinic offer to pay for a low income patient whose insurance was being troublesome. Act of altruism inspired me.

My goal: Physician's autonomy (own clinic) enabled him to positively impact his community. Inspiring.
His criticism: Was mostly okay with it, just didn't like the autonomy part.

Body paragraph 3 and conclusion: 2nd shadowing experience. I talk about a different physician showing me her physician performance report and how she is coerced into compelling patients to do some unnecessary tests and screenings. I talk about her dissatisfaction and the weakening of physician-patient interactions as a result of less physician autonomy. I later talk about taking some courses about healthcare and learning about reduced physician autonomy and how corporate imposed time and protocol restraints are hurting physician-patient relationships. I talk about increased physician employment and reduced autonomy. I conclude that I want my role in medicine is to increase physician autonomy in order to help improve physician-patient relationships and quality of care.

My goal: Talk about what impact/mission I have in medicine.
His criticism: Scrap the entire thing, shouldn't focus on autonomy.

I feel like my personal statement is either really good or really bad. I definitely see where he's coming from, but I don't know if ADCOMs will look at it negatively in the same way as he did. Personally, I would like to get the opinions of some ADCOMs on how you would feel about the overall format and style of my PS. I can privately message you my draft if you'd like but this outline covers the overall idea of what my PS is.

Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a second opinion. People swap personal statements on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to ask others to read your PS. I don't know if the reader volunteers are still going but ask.

That said, your parents also know you best, and if they say something needs to be changed, take it to heart and understand why. It just isn't right to be fake with your parents so kudos to you for asking them to read it.

If you want to be autonomous as a provider, why not a podiatrist, dentist, veterinarian, optometrist? I'm not sure you know what autonomy means in health care... we aren't as independent as you think.

I also think it isn't a good strategy to talk about why you want to go into healthcare by pointing out how problematic or tedious the job is... but you will persist! If the impression is that you are wishy-washy to your parents, what impression will you make with patients or random readers who don't know you? Give us a reason to relegate your application if that is what comes through!

There are times when you can discount your family's opinion about going to school or which school to apply to. But if your parents or family have suggestions about how you present yourself in an application or clothes for interviews, I would urge you to listen a bit. In general, if they support you strongly, they want to be sure you look your best because in the end they want to be proud of you.

I agree you probably need to start over. We advise applicants to begin the process of reflection much earlier before you apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
His criticism: Scrap the entire thing, shouldn't focus on autonomy.
Your father is right.

Unless you have some amazing story to tell, consider the usual PS structure:
Paragraph 1: Anecdote and setup
Paragraphs 2-3: Semi-chronological recounting of life events and decisions
Paragraph 4: Summary and wind down

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Your father is right.

Unless you have some amazing story to tell, consider the usual PS structure:
Paragraph 1: Anecdote and setup
Paragraphs 2-3: Semi-chronological recounting of life events and decisions
Paragraph 4: Summary and wind down
I agree with this.

Keep in mind, 85% of all personal statements are "fine" and essentially read the same, neither help nor hurt you. A small minority like 5% may be amazing and actively help, and these usually flow from someone having outstanding experiences that they can talk about eloquently. Then maybe 10% are awful because someone tried to something clever or unusual, and it completely backfires and actively harms an application. If someone has pretty standard pre-med activities, I generally recommend that they aim to keep their PS pretty safe because you're probably more likely to hurt yourself by doing something unusual than help.

I strongly suspect your PS would fall into this category of trying to be clever/unusual but backfire. I would not go negative in your personal statement, and railing about how physicians are getting less and less autonomy is very negative. Furthermore, suggesting that you're singlehandedly going to work to reverse this trend is naïve. I would start over, keep things positive, and most of all explain why you will be a good doctor. It may sound the same as everyone else's personal statement, but at the end of the day that isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: 6 users
Please keep in mind that physician autonomy is so twentieth century and fading fast. Physicians I know that had private practice clinics have closed due to economic pressures (decreased revenue, increased expenses). So if you are going into this career for "autonomy" you may be sadly disappointed.

Start over.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Autonomy in healthcare focuses on the medical ethics pillar that the patient's autonomy is the most important factor (at least in the US), so talking about going into medicine for primarily your own autonomy is not going to accomplish what you think it is. I agree this approach will backfire as it doesn't demonstrate a solid understanding of current healthcare practice and concerns me that you will value your own autonomy over your patient's.

Your personal statement is largely not the place to discuss negatives of healthcare and when done has to be treaded very carefully. Remember, this is your main opportunity to demonstrate your character and nobody wants to sit down and have dinner with a Negative Nancy.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I can see "autonomy" as a physician juxtaposed with the lack of autonomy that PAs and NPs have (at least legally). But, as I said earlier, that autonomy is fading as more and more physicians become employees of large corporations or non-profits, rather than operators of small businesses.

Reactions: 1 user
Then maybe 10% are awful because someone tried to something clever or unusual, and it completely backfires and actively harms an application.
Ya that was what I was trying to go for. Sounding unique and clever in order to stand out to adcoms. But since you and every other person on this thread suggests that I completely scrap that, I will. I definitely see your point of views and will make a PS focused on my clinical experiences and being more positive. It definitely is a little frustrating since I've been working on this PS for a while now and I thought I finally had something really good. ugh, back to the drawing board.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 users