Other OT-Related Information Am I the only one that hate how underrated OT is?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aeju46

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me who's aware of it, but it's crazy how not many people know about occupational therapy. From my research, OT is such a rewarding healthcare related career. When people think about healthcare and helping people, only nursing or doctor comes to mind. I really want to know why!!!! But anyways, this is making me so excited to become an OT in the future

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is such a true statement, and it's definitely not only you that feels this way. For some reason, everyone knows about PT and forgets about OT. It makes me sad, but I love volunteering in the hospital and seeing the two work together.

Reactions: 1 users
Very true! I find myself having to explain what occupational therapy is often! A lot of people say: "Oh! So you will help people find jobs??" o_O
I think part of becoming an OT also means advocating for the profession as well! Also why I believe in the interviews for grad school they ask you "how do you define OT" because they know you will be having to explain it a lot. As an OT we will get to educate the community about the wonders of OT so everyone can be aware and hopefully one day be as recognizable as a PT!

I don't know if it's just me who's aware of it, but it's crazy how not many people know about occupational therapy. From my research, OT is such a rewarding healthcare related career. When people think about healthcare and helping people, only nursing or doctor comes to mind. I really want to know why!!!! But anyways, this is making me so excited to become an OT in the future

This is such a true statement, and it's definitely not only you that feels this way. For some reason, everyone knows about PT and forgets about OT. It makes me sad, but I love volunteering in the hospital and seeing the two work together.

Very true! I find myself having to explain what occupational therapy is often! A lot of people say: "Oh! So you will help people find jobs??" o_O
I think part of becoming an OT also means advocating for the profession as well! Also why I believe in the interviews for grad school they ask you "how do you define OT" because they know you will be having to explain it a lot. As an OT we will get to educate the community about the wonders of OT so everyone can be aware and hopefully one day be as recognizable as a PT!

You guys are great. I personally feel a complete downsize in programs should occur and have the field by one degree: physiotherapy. Subfields on patient populations, settings, and the rehab stage from there.

Physical therapy has been branding itself nationally now but you should all keep in mind, that being under the radar helps your fields supply and demand integrity. You all have a very very healthy debt to income ratio comparatively speaking to us and enjoy similar hours and working conditions.

Look on the bright side of things