Am I too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmintchip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Writing has not been a strength of mine, especially when it comes to talking about myself. I am currently struggling on fixing my personal statement so that it is less boring. The rest of my application is pretty much complete with the exception of my LORs getting submitted, so I am itching to just finish my statement. My overall GPA in college was 3.5 and my science GPA was around 3.2 while getting a B.S. in Bioengineering at UCLA. As for my OAT scores, my AA was 380 and TS was 370. It is the near the end of the cycle and deadlines are just around the corner for the schools I want to apply to (ICO, SUNY, SCCO, NECO, MCPHS, and Western). Do I still have a chance this late in the game? Should I try to perfect my personal statement or submit ASAP?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty solid, I'd give it a shot. Personal statement is only a part of the whole package; I'd have a few people (friends, school counselors, etc..) look over it and modify whatever that's necessary, but wouldn't stress too much on it even if it's not "perfect". I believe the deadlines are coming up for most schools, it's better to send out the package sooner than wasting precious time perfecting it while the seats are being filled up. That being said, I have similar stats as you and I send in my application super late (late February.. it was the deadline day for SUNY when I applied); and still managed to get a couple of interviews and got into a well established optometry school. There is still hope, but I'd recommend you to act fast. Good luck!

I applied early Feb and got interviews. My stats were much worst but I think I had a great, unique essay and really good recommendations. Doesn't hurt to apply! Let me know if you would like any help fixing your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to thread bomb here, but how long does it take for Optomcas to mail out your app schools? I submitted mine 3 weeks ago, they calculated GPA and confirmed 2 weeks ago, but it still says "not mailed" as the status on Optomcas. Do they mail once a month or something?

don't wait, personal statement isn't that important when you have a strong GPA and OAT score. you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage the longer you wait. when seats fill up, that's it, even if you have a 4.0/400/400 and a perfect essay.

Finish your personal statement and apply ASAP. Schools will give you interviews and even accept you while you are waiting for letters of recommendation (I got accepted while still waiting on one). You can still get in with your grades and scores but the spots are filling up fast! I would contact the schools after you submit Optomcas and let them know your scores and situation. Schedule your interviews as soon as you can.

Good luck!