Am I too old??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I will be 33 by time I start pod school. I was wondering since I will be nearing forty years old when i graduate will this hinder me in landing a good residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about residency issues due to age, but I do know of people starting med school later than that (podiatry and general), so I doubt it would be an issue. A current resident could probably give more insight, but I'd be inclined to think if you perform well at school and demonstrate your work ethic and knowledge during clerkships you'd be considered for residency more based on those merits than on your age.

I don't think that your age will be a factor for residency acceptance. I was the same age when I started pod school, and didn't find it to be a problem for residency acceptance. However, I would consider other variables such as family and financial. If you have family, this will be a significant period of time that you could otherwise be earning money that you will miss out on. 7 years of earnings and putting money into your retirement account. Also, consider starting salaries for today's graduates. I know that some start at $150k, but keep in mind that the low range is starting at $60k. Some new graduates find that their first job is less than ideal, and may face employers that "eat their young," which may cause you to have to change jobs and it could be a slow first few years. I'm not saying its going to happen to you, but it has happened to a fair number of young attendings that I have talked to.

Even if you do start at the higher end of pay, consider what will be left over after taxes and loan repayment. Consider this if you start at the low end, around $60k. Unless you have some assets to defray the costs of school and loan interest costs, the numbers for the first several years after residency can be sobering. Personally, I had some assets and also took a military scholarship, thus reducing a large part of the financial risk of doing this at an older age. Also, my family was on board with the plan. If you do have family, consider the travel involved in the last year of pod school and the extensive hours of study and work required in school and residency.

Don't mean to sound gloom and doom, but there are some realities that an older applicant should consider before jumping in. I still think its a wonderful profession and has many upsides. You will have job security, a rewarding career, the priviledge of performing surgery and practicing medicine, and the chance to pursue your dream if this is what you really want. Just crunch the numbers before you do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Age is just a number. I'm 50! If you believe in your knowledge, skills and abilities, you can do anything. I have a friend (MD) who graduated, and in his class and residency, had a fellow that 61 when he started practicing! I'm gonna give podiatry my best shot. Once I turn in my stuff, I let go and let God's will be done. If I get in, okay. If I don't, okay. I can help in so many ways, I can watch for "opportunity to knock". Where He closes one door, he opens another...keep remembering that life is a journey that we blindly walk. Trust in the process, and you will see the results.

Reactions: 2 users
No you are not "too old" . If age is the only reason holding you back I would urge you to apply. You will not get any younger.