Am I understanding Residency Explorer correctly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungrydoc710

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So being that I got my Step 1 score back, I've become super neurotic and started looking thru the residency explorer site. Is the "min step 1/level 1 score required for interview" a hard cutoff?

Can I apply to a program with a 2 point higher cutoff than my score? What about a difference of 7?
Also do I have to meet BOTH cutoffs - step 1 and level 1?

Another thing is the 'special tracks' box - if I want to be a hospitalist maybe, if it says NO, then don't go to that program?

Thank you, from a very confused OMS3.

Another question I have is best way of finding programs that favor DO students?
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve had the same question as well. From reading around here, if your scores are just a few points below you can still get an interview so they aren’t hard cutoffs

Residency Explorer will show percentage of DOs in a program, but the best thing is to just get on the program site and look at the roster. I’m a 4th year and haven’t hit interview season, but rule of thumb is you only need to meet one cut off (level 1 or step 1) to get an audition and theoretically an interview. If it’s a former AOA program they will prob look at Comlex more and Step for ACGME prog, but honestly they all mostly focus on step now. I have been told many times to go ahead and float some apps to to programs where you’re just shy of their published cut off, and def reach out if you want to audition there cause many times they’ll just be first come first serve and that gives you a chance to outshine their parameters. If you meet either cut off though hit that shiz up.

IM with no track in house would not prevent you from becoming a hospitalist as you don’t need a fellowship for that. You’ll learn all that crap and what you truly want to do during 3rd year. Right now just start compiling potential places you’d wanna audition (if you plan to do that next year, many IM folks don’t do auditions).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Residency Explorer will show percentage of DOs in a program, but the best thing is to just get on the program site and look at the roster. I’m a 4th year and haven’t hit interview season, but rule of thumb is you only need to meet one cut off (level 1 or step 1) to get an audition and theoretically an interview. If it’s a former AOA program they will prob look at Comlex more and Step for ACGME prog, but honestly they all mostly focus on step now. I have been told many times to go ahead and float some apps to to programs where you’re just shy of their published cut off, and def reach out if you want to audition there cause many times they’ll just be first come first serve and that gives you a chance to outshine their parameters. If you meet either cut off though got that shiz up.

IM with no track in house would not prevent you from becoming a hospitalist as you don’t need a fellowship for that. You’ll learn all that crap and what you truly want to do during 3rd year. Right now just start compiling potential places you’d wanna audition (if you plan to do that next year, many IM folks don’t do auditions).
Thank you for the insight !

Reactions: 1 user
So comm hospital and univ hospital are pretty easy to understand - but what does 'affiliated hospital' mean on residency explorer?

Does this mean it comm-univ or a low/mid tier univ program?

Thanks.

Last edited:
So being that I got my Step 1 score back, I've become super neurotic and started looking thru the residency explorer site. Is the "min step 1/level 1 score required for interview" a hard cutoff?

Can I apply to a program with a 2 point higher cutoff than my score? What about a difference of 7?
Also do I have to meet BOTH cutoffs - step 1 and level 1?

Another thing is the 'special tracks' box - if I want to be a hospitalist maybe, if it says NO, then don't go to that program?

Thank you, from a very confused OMS3.

Another question I have is best way of finding programs that favor DO students?
Thanks again.
I’ve also noticed that a lot of programs have a range of scores that are lower than their cutoff for interview. So, I’m also confused.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of programs have a range of scores that are lower than their cutoff for interview. So, I’m also confused.
In that case, I would say definitely look at the range over the “cutoff.” If they took someone with your score recently, they’ll most likely at least be willing to give interviews at that score. Consider though that it could have been only one or a couple of people in that lower range, in which case they likely made up for it in other areas of their app.

Apply and take a shot. I'm a DO at a 93% MD university program (top 25), my step 1 was literally their cutoff. No connections, just a convince personal statement, follow-up please rank me e-mail, and above average interview skills. Anything is possible.
When you talk about this and personal statements, did you customize it towards a program?

ex. I am interested in pursuing residency at X program because...

I’m struggling with how to show interest in specific programs With regional connections, mentors, etc

Reactions: 2 users
When you talk about this and personal statements, did you customize it towards a program?

ex. I am interested in pursuing residency at X program because...

I’m struggling with how to show interest in specific programs With regional connections, mentors, etc

I did not mention the program specifically in my PS, but I told and sold my story. Without regional connections, it's admittedly more difficult. I matched near where I grew up, so I had that to mention in the interview after I went to school on the other side of the country.

Apply and take a shot. I'm a DO at a 93% MD university program (top 25), my step 1 was literally their cutoff. No connections, just a convince personal statement, follow-up please rank me e-mail, and above average interview skills. Anything is possible.
This. I’m currently half way through my EM audition at a program and schedule for an interview for this program next week even though my step is BELOW their cutoff on their website.

This. I’m currently half way through my EM audition at a program and schedule for an interview for this program next week even though my step is BELOW their cutoff on their website.

Is getting an interview this early an EM thing? Congrats!

Is getting an interview this early an EM thing? Congrats!

Some of the former DO programs just interview their auditioners while they're there. I actually think Mayo does the same thing for some specialties.

Some of the former DO programs just interview their auditioners while they're there. I actually think Mayo does the same thing for some specialties.
the hospital i'm rotating at now (historically acgme) also interviews all auditioners at the end of rotation. i was surprised. one of the programs i'm rotating at also offers guaranteed interviews to rotators, but is only offering virtual interviews this cycle. seems like a huge advantage to get an in-person interview when everybody else is stuck w/ zoom

This is a historically ACGME program. I’m EM it’s common for programs to interview those who audition at the end of their rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
It's common in a lot of specialties during audition season.
Another boner kill of covid. I planned on doing 4 audition for basically free interviews at my top places.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users