Am very much confused :( please help me guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent1983

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hie,
Am an international dentist with the following credentials -
Bds gpa - comprehensive 2.56 & best result 3.2 (ECE)
Masters in endodontics with gpa of 3.0
Nbde part 1 & 2
TOEFL - 97
Few CE courses- 30 credit points
2 papers presented at national level conference and even won best paper award
2 posters presented at conference
One & half years of experience at a clinic in home country
Shadowing a dentist here ( USA ) since May till now and even done some volunteer service. I have participated in community camps in my home country. Now my concern is what else can I still do to improve my profile as my gpa is on lower side :( with these stats do I have a chance for advance standing program & if so then, which schools would be a good option to apply.
Am really in need of an advice please help me out guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey what are cde courses?? how can I join ??thank u

Members don't see this ad :)
Improve TOEFL and continue with volunteering

Reactions: 1 user
Improve TOEFL and continue with volunteering
First of all thank you so much oralcare for replying :) okie will give my TOEFL again & which schools would be a better option to apply with these stats . Do I stand a chance if I apply to Boston ?? Because one of my colleague said that they consider masters so was curious about knowing the details..

from what i understand, universities look at your academic history, involvement with research work and community/volunteer work. GPA is only one component of your application. Best of luck.

In order to choose where to apply, you need to check each school's requirements to see if you meet them. Some schools have a certain level of TOEFL and GPA below which they do not consider the candidate.
Adcoms judge your potential to be a good student by your GPA, so it is important, although not as much as for regular dental students. After all, you graduated. Research is important for schools heavily involved in research, but not all of them. Volunteering is a good thing for all schools
I cant comment on Boston, do not know much

In order to choose where to apply, you need to check each school's requirements to see if you meet them. Some schools have a certain level of TOEFL and GPA below which they do not consider the candidate.
Adcoms judge your potential to be a good student by your GPA, so it is important, although not as much as for regular dental students. After all, you graduated. Research is important for schools heavily involved in research, but not all of them. Volunteering is a good thing for all schools
I cant comment on Boston, do not know much
I even have done a thesis research project for one & half year which am planning to publish it in international journal. I know what you are saying is true about GPa & TOEFL requirements but even after improving my TOEFL and volunteering work then will I be able to make it

from what i understand, universities look at your academic history, involvement with research work and community/volunteer work. GPA is only one component of your application. Best of luck.
Yes maouzk I will try all my best to work on volunteering / community services so it would eventually improve my stats as I can't do anything in regards to my Gpa. Thank you so much :)

I even have done a thesis research project for one & half year which am planning to publish it in international journal. I know what you are saying is true about GPa & TOEFL requirements but even after improving my TOEFL and volunteering work then will I be able to make it
I think, you will. It is difficult to advise to apply to a lot of schools, because it is very costly, but if you are able to relocate and afford it, then apply broadly. It is a general tendency, that state schools are more competitive, because of the lower cost.
In regards to more prestigious institutions, it would be wise for you to contact admissions and ask for an advice. Ask them if you should apply or it is unlikely that you would be accepted. Just remember, it is in the school's interests to have a lot of applicants - FEES and a person who will be answering you would not be the person making a decision, so take it with a grain of salt

Ya that's correct. The admission staff whomsoever I contacted never gave me a clear answer of what I was ask for.