Amazing email...What should I think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatamIdoingher

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, but a long time lurker. Long story short, I opened a new organization here on campus, and gave out board positions to people whom I considered friends. Most of them are, but one of them turned out to be a total freak. He is one year ahead of me in the process, and thinks he is the total sh"t. He was on the board, but didn't do anything to warrant being on it. One day, when he incorrectly booked a room for one of our meetings, I reprimanded him in front of the other officers, and he took this so badly (it was a very constructive reprimand, no yelling or name calling/cursing) that he went home and sent me this amazingly inflammatory and antagonistic email. Here it is below, edited for privacy (his, of course):

"I had some respect for you before this meeting but not any more. So, let me get started: I believe that everything happens for a reason and I think the reason I met you is a warning for me to stay away from people like you in future. You are not only a liar but a very ungrateful person. This is the main reason I am quitting! I know that you are going to tell everyone "you don't need me, you were not happy with me blah...blah...blah". You know what: I don't give a ****! I don't regret anything I did as VP (which I know wasn't a lot in this short period) because I am not a regretful person like you. You might be thinking that not being on "X" board might hurt my med school application; let me tell you something: you are dead wrong!. I am sure I can get into 10 times better schools than you. If you wish to read out this email to board members or anyone else, which I know you are very capable of doing, then be a man and read out the whole message. Don't bother about responding because any response from you is set to go to my trash folder. One last thing, I hope to never ever meet a person like you, WEIRDO!!!"

Needless to say, his email hurt me very much. I have been giving him advice and help for quite some time now, and little did I know that he actually was competing with me and hoping to see me fail. He is one year ahead of me and will be applying this year. When I got this email, I felt so depressed, and I wanted to ask you guys if I will be the one who has the last laugh at this ungrateful guy. The only thing I can think of that he has as an advantage over me is his G.P.A, which is a 3.95 BCPM, 3.92 Overall. He has no activities at all, and has done research for one year in a lab (by the time he will apply). Nothing has come of this research. He is very reserved and very mean, and has absolutely no personality. He will give his MCAT very soon, and his English is very poor, so I dont know how well he will do. He is also graduating early and has one semester from community college, and has taken a very light courseload each semester. What do you think? Will his email be the last word? I am so depressed here. I help him, and this is what he does to me. Amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, but a long time lurker. Long story short, I opened a new organization here on campus, and gave out board positions to people whom I considered friends. Most of them are, but one of them turned out to be a total freak. He is one year ahead of me in the process, and thinks he is the total sh"t. He was on the board, but didn't do anything to warrant being on it. One day, when he incorrectly booked a room for one of our meetings, I reprimanded him in front of the other officers, and he took this so badly (it was a very constructive reprimand, no yelling or name calling/cursing) that he went home and sent me this amazingly inflammatory and antagonistic email. Here it is below, edited for privacy (his, of course):

"I had some respect for you before this meeting but not any more. So, let me get started: I believe that everything happens for a reason and I think the reason I met you is a warning for me to stay away from people like you in future. You are not only a liar but a very ungrateful person. This is the main reason I am quitting! I know that you are going to tell everyone "you don't need me, you were not happy with me blah...blah...blah". You know what: I don't give a ****! I don't regret anything I did as VP (which I know wasn't a lot in this short period) because I am not a regretful person like you. You might be thinking that not being on "X" board might hurt my med school application; let me tell you something: you are dead wrong!. I am sure I can get into 10 times better schools than you. If you wish to read out this email to board members or anyone else, which I know you are very capable of doing, then be a man and read out the whole message. Don't bother about responding because any response from you is set to go to my trash folder. One last thing, I hope to never ever meet a person like you, WEIRDO!!!"

Needless to say, his email hurt me very much. I have been giving him advice and help for quite some time now, and little did I know that he actually was competing with me and hoping to see me fail. He is one year ahead of me and will be applying this year. When I got this email, I felt so depressed, and I wanted to ask you guys if I will be the one who has the last laugh at this ungrateful guy. The only thing I can think of that he has as an advantage over me is his G.P.A, which is a 3.95 BCPM, 3.92 Overall. He has no activities at all, and has done research for one year in a lab (by the time he will apply). Nothing has come of this research. He is very reserved and very mean, and has absolutely no personality. He will give his MCAT very soon, and his English is very poor, so I dont know how well he will do. He is also graduating early and has one semester from community college, and has taken a very light courseload each semester. What do you think? Will his email be the last word? I am so depressed here. I help him, and this is what he does to me. Amazing.

Is this a joke???

How in the hell do you know so much about "your friend's" information?

Hello Everyone,

Well, seeing as you gave us no information about yourself, we cannot say that you will "have the last laugh". I realize that you're hurting, but posting his email and asking SDN to validate you is kinda petty and immature. You can't affect his chances of getting into schools, nor can he affect yours. Getting into med school alone is a crapshoot at best and there is no guarantee that one of you is going to do "better" than the other. The best thing to do would be to realize that this is the end of a relationship and move on the best you could. At the very least, don't air out dirty laundry on a public internet forum because it could come back and hurt you some day. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you propagating this competition? Maybe he's a better candidate than you and maybe not, but that has nothing to do with the current dilemma/disagreement.

You have 3 options:
1. Forget about it and move on
2. Try to smooth things over
3. Escalate the situation

I tend toward #2, but it's up to you.

Hello Everyone,

That sucks that someone you thought was a friend turned out to be a dick, but come on, just let it go.

Who cares how he does vs. how you do in med school admissions. Its not like you'll ever see him again, so just let it slide. Life's too short to hold a grudge.

Sounds like a fairly typical pre-med interaction. I'd just let it go and maybe try not to publicly get in someone's face about such a trivial issue next time

dude.

I'd probably quit your club if I were reprimanded publicly for booking a room wrong too.

Try not to get too invested in other people's successes/failures and remember volunteers are giving you their time, try to be a little more grateful.

Honestly? Who cares? Forget about the "weirdo", and move on with life. And believe me, the way you describe him, it sounds like he will have a difficult time getting into any school, let alone the best. (his email implies that he is aiming for the Big H/S/Y or whatever have you).

Status
Not open for further replies.