AMCAS activity descriptions vs. the secondary "plans for current year" essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Zoidberg MD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a gap year, working full time, but still involved in a number of volunteer activities as well as shadowing whenever I have free time.

I know that the secondary essay for current plans is pretty short usually (~200 words), and since I am involved in a lot of activities I fear not having the time to touch upon them all adequately in that secondary essay.

My question is if adcoms would put more weight into the secondary "current plans" essay for evaluating our activities vs. my more detailed AMCAS description?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is if adcoms would put more weight into the secondary "current plans" essay for evaluating our activities vs. my more detailed AMCAS description?
The Secondary essay will be the more recent, so it's an opportunity to mention activities begun since applying or to course-correct if something fell through. It's a place to summarize your year's plans rather than having them scattered through multiple non-contiguous entries. It's not intended to be detailed and it's not going to take the place of Primary entries that have more substance. But don't assume the same person will read both areas of your application. Make sure it can stand alone, just in case.

Reactions: 2 users
The Secondary essay will be the more recent, so it's an opportunity to mention activities begun since applying or to course-correct if something fell through. It's a place to summarize your year's plans rather than having them scattered through multiple non-contiguous entries. It's not intended to be detailed and it's not going to take the place of Primary entries that have more substance. But don't assume the same person will read both areas of your application. Make sure it can stand alone, just in case.

We shouldn't assume that our adcom reviewer will read both our primary and secondary application?! :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With that "essay" being as short as it is, I think it is more a place to simply list and explain the activities you will be doing and for how long, not to go into too much detail. If you want to add some more detail in then I would put that under the activity itself in the future activities section. That's just what I would do

Reactions: 1 user
With that "essay" being as short as it is, I think it is more a place to simply list and explain the activities you will be doing and for how long, not to go into too much detail. If you want to add some more detail in then I would put that under the activity itself in the future activities section. That's just what I would do

When you mean list, do you mean bulletpoints?

Also, almost everything I've done during my gap year was covered in my primary application. I've heard from some that you shouldn't mention stuff from your primary app unless you're going deeper. On the other hand, if these secondary essays are meant to "stand alone" in case there's a different reader, what approach should I take?

When you mean list, do you mean bulletpoints?

Also, almost everything I've done during my gap year was covered in my primary application. I've heard from some that you shouldn't mention stuff from your primary app unless you're going deeper. On the other hand, if these secondary essays are meant to "stand alone" in case there's a different reader, what approach should I take?

Just list the activities. If you have the space, then perhaps elaborate on the more interesting/important activities that you will be participating in. For example:

"During this year, I will be participating in X and, as part of that experience, doing Y and Z. I will also be participating in A, B, and C."