AMCAS activity-Medical or non-medical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlitheDilettante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if I should list my volunteer experience as Medical/clinical or non-medical/clinical.
I volunteer at the County Area Agency on Aging doing Medicare counseling for the beneficiaries.

So does this count as medical since it's healthcare insurance stuff?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have to determine that yourself, but for me, I would think of medical volunteering as working in a place/with patients who are being treated there.

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM would say if you can smell them it is a clinical experience. Although not sure how financial volunteering works.

Personally, I think when I put down a similar experience, I think I put down non-medical but in the blurb explained it was for a medical NPO and described what I was doing. The adcomms could call it however they wanted to call it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they patients? Are they there for the purpose of receiving medical care and the Medicare counseling is part of the visit or are they there as senior citizens, elders, local residents, or whatever you might call them. Better to call it "non-clinical" and have the adcom "upgrade" it than to call it "clinical" and have the adcom judge it as a piss poor example of a clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I marked it as non-clinical. The people coming in were mostly seniors seeking help with enrollment for Medicare. Originally I thought of it as "medical" part in "medical/clinical" category. But as you suggested, it's better to let adcom decide.