AMCAS and TMDSAS Term classifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imaginedragon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused about the way the academic terms are classified in the AMCAS and TMDSAS applications. I might be overthinking this but I just wanted to make sure.

I attended my main undergraduate institution from January 2020 to December 2022 as well as received credits from another institution (only during summer and winter semesters) from December 2019 to August 2021. At the moment I have listed in both AMCAS and TMDSAS that I have attended my main undergraduate institution from Spring 2020 to Fall 2022 and the other one as from Fall 2019 to Summer 2021. Is that the correct classification of semesters or is it wrong? I have been using the application handbook for both AMCAS and TMDSAS and they appear to have different classifications for semesters.

The confusion arose when I read that TMDSAS classifies the order of semesters as Fall 2021 > Winter 2022 > Spring 2022 > Summer 2022 and AMCAS states that "courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous academic year".

Someone please let me know. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little confused about the way the academic terms are classified in the AMCAS and TMDSAS applications. I might be overthinking this but I just wanted to make sure.

I attended my main undergraduate institution from January 2020 to December 2022 as well as received credits from another institution (only during summer and winter semesters) from December 2019 to August 2021. At the moment I have listed in both AMCAS and TMDSAS that I have attended my main undergraduate institution from Spring 2020 to Fall 2022 and the other one as from Fall 2019 to Summer 2021. Is that the correct classification of semesters or is it wrong? I have been using the application handbook for both AMCAS and TMDSAS and they appear to have different classifications for semesters.

The confusion arose when I read that TMDSAS classifies the order of semesters as Fall 2021 > Winter 2022 > Spring 2022 > Summer 2022 and AMCAS states that "courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous academic year".

Someone please let me know. Thanks!
Best information will come from messaging TMDSAS in your portal

Members don't see this ad :)
Share what you learned…
TMDSAS considers the winter semester as part of the next year since the term ends in January of the following year. So in my case, that would make the timeline that I attended the other institution (December 2019 to August 2021) from Winter 2020 to Summer 2021 and my main undergraduate institution would be from Spring 2020 to Fall 2022. AMCAS, on the other hand, considers both summer and winter semesters as part of the following academic year. In my case, I would have attended my main undergraduate institution from Spring 2020-2021 to Fall 2022-2023 and the other institution from Winter 2019-2020 to Summer 2021-2022.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Reactions: 1 user