AMCAS Letter of Rec Procedure for Re-Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronathan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am an unsuccessful applicant of the 2010-2011 cycle. I forked over the $$$ to take the MCAT and to apply to 20 schools, and didn't get a single acceptance. And yet, for some bizarre reason, I want to try the whole thing over again. :D

So here's my question: With regard to AMCAS, if you reapply, do they carry over information from a previous year's application or do you need to fill out everything again/collect all those letters and transcripts again? I want to know specifically if I have to contact all of my letter writers and embarass myself by explaining that I didn't get in and then ask for them to write another letter, or can AMCAS simply push a button and get my letters from last year's application? (I am less concerned about resubmitting my transcripts since I have plenty of extra copies of those lying around).

ps- If someone could also post a link for specific instructions from AMCAS about what to do in the event of a reapplication, I would greatly appreciate it. I scoured the site for hours last night, but could not find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Ronathan,

All your app info will roll over into this year's new application (your PS, listed coursework,etc.). However, your letters will not be saved so I am afraid you will have to ask for new ones. You will also have to submit all new official transcripts.

I would really recommend you get an Interfolio account and have your letter writers send the LOR there and then send the letters from Interfolio to AMCAS. I had to reapply and it really saved a lot of hassle because Interfolio does save your letters.

I only applied to DO schools last cycle and did not get into school due to my MCAT. I'm choosing to apply to MD and DO schools again this year, I know for MD schools I can definitely use my same essays, letters, etc since I had not used them before.

What about DO schools though? Can I still use the same application essays from last cycle this time again? Or will I have to re-write my PS, and essays? I still have the same recommendation letters from last time as well - will I have to get complete new letters from different professors? Or would I have to have them write new ones? Or can I just re-use those letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted very late in the year, but I don't plan on changing much on my application other than a few touch ups. I will re - apply with pretty much the same app as before.

Even if you use interfolio and can reuse the same letters, What about the fact that they will all be dated from a year ago, and doesn't AMCAS require that the letter ID be written somewhere on the letter itself? This ID would change and throw them for a loop, wouldn't it?

To the OP, I finally broke down and sent all of letter writers The Email telling them I didn't get in. It is embarrassing, but I just explained that it's not surprising since the majority if applicants do not get in the first time, that I've realized a few mistakes I've made and hope to change them this time around, etc. Also, I did it all by email since I have moved away after graduating, so that helped a bit. Consider emailing if you are embarrassed. I feel like you have already dealt with your writers, asked them once face to face, an they will probably use the same letter that they saved anyway, so an email isn't so bad.