AMCAS SES Disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icedamericanopls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my first cycle, I was marked as E02 for SES Disadvantaged

BUT for this cycle, it changed to UNKNOWN - What does this mean? Would this hurt my app by any chance?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you leave out your parents' info this year? Or did the info change (e.g. they moved abroad or retired)?

E02 is not E01 but it is also not EO3. It is unlikely to make a difference one way or the other.

Did you leave out your parents' info this year? Or did the info change (e.g. they moved abroad or retired)?

E02 is not E01 but it is also not EO3. It is unlikely to make a difference one way or the other.
Not sure what E02 is, but nothing really has changed - I just specified my family income which is $50k-75k

My mom went to school abroad but that was same as my first cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Family income doesn't play into EO-1, EO-2, EO-3 etc. It is an acronym for education/occupation. It is determined only for parents who had their highest education in the US (or maybe US or Canada). Each parent is assigned a EO score and the highest score is your score. No bachelors degree for either parent is EO-1 regardless of occupation. EO-2 is assigned if a parent has a bachelor's degree (or a higher level degree) and is employed in a clerical or service occupation or as skilled or unskilled labor. A parent with a bachelor's degree who is working in a professional, executive or managerial role puts you in EO-3. A parent with a master's degree working in a professional, executive or managerial role is EO-4, and one or more parents with doctoral or professional degrees working in a professional, managerial or executive position is EO-5.

It could be that last year your mother's school was incorrectly classified as a US school and she was considered to have a bachelor's degree or higher and working in a clerical role or as a laborer. She might have been reclassified this year as the graduage of a school outside the US and therefore no EO is assigned.

Reactions: 1 user
Family income doesn't play into EO-1, EO-2, EO-3 etc. It is an acronym for education/occupation. It is determined only for parents who had their highest education in the US (or maybe US or Canada). Each parent is assigned a EO score and the highest score is your score. No bachelors degree for either parent is EO-1 regardless of occupation. EO-2 is assigned if a parent has a bachelor's degree (or a higher level degree) and is employed in a clerical or service occupation or as skilled or unskilled labor. A parent with a bachelor's degree who is working in a professional, executive or managerial role puts you in EO-3. A parent with a master's degree working in a professional, executive or managerial role is EO-4, and one or more parents with doctoral or professional degrees working in a professional, managerial or executive position is EO-5.

It could be that last year your mother's school was incorrectly classified as a US school and she was considered to have a bachelor's degree or higher and working in a clerical role or as a laborer. She might have been reclassified this year as the graduage of a school outside the US and therefore no EO is assigned.
my father has a bachelor's degree in the States but is currently a homemaker & my mom did go to college abroad but did not graduate and is currently a general manager at a company

would it be b/c of my mom's school abroad that led to unknown classification?

my father has a bachelor's degree in the States but is currently a homemaker & my mom did go to college abroad but did not graduate and is currently a general manager at a company

would it be b/c of my mom's school abroad that led to unknown classification?
Could be. You might contact AMCAS and ask why the discrepancy from last year's application. It might review, recognize its error and make a correction.

Could be. You might contact AMCAS and ask why the discrepancy from last year's application. It might review, recognize its error and make a correction.

Would it hurt my app if my status is UNKNOWN but I wrote about other impactful experiences with financial difficulties?

Would it hurt my app if my status is UNKNOWN but I wrote about other impactful experiences with financial difficulties?
Not at all. The reader can see your parents' names and education/employment and connect the dots. The EO categories are more for categorization of matriculants and data analysis.