AMCAS staff is not worth their money, maybe you can answer this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peds888

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm quite fed up with contacting AMCAS, whenever I do, I am on hold for 20 minutes and they don't know what they are talking about. I would get answers like, "well, hmm....I suppose, no? Ok, let me check". They come back and you ask them what they found out. They would say, "well, I think that's how it is, what is the question again?" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............I even told one of them, "look, if you don't know the answer, please find out and if you can't find out, please let me know so that we are not going in a circle".

I send them emails, and the responses are so SHORT and CONDENSE that it does not throughly answer the **** question. You waited for several days so that they can answer your question. You got the email and it doesn't. I am serioussssssssssssss. HOw much are these people getting paid because they are so ignorant about their policies and cannot provide customer service. There is this one girl who I talked to, everytime I asked her something, she keep answering me with a question back.
For example, ( this is an actual conversation I had with her)

me: "so, if I withdraw right now without my application having enter the verification process yet, would i be consider a reapplicant next year even though schools have not yet received the application from AMCAS?

her: "hmm....yes sir, i suppose no???"

me: (annoy...) "so is it or is it not, do you know the exact answer?"

her: "hmm....hold on (gone for like 2 minutes later)"

her: "sir, no you would not be consider a reapplicant".

me: "so did you check with your supervisor or something? are u sure about it now?"

her: "uh...yes, wait i suppose, it makes sense right, no?"

me: (oh my...I was PULLING my hair out!!!!!!!!!!), "look, i don't mean to be rude but it doesn't seems like we are getting anywhere. I just wasted my long distance phone bill and i feel like i haven't got a straight answer, but i want to ask you something else. how about the refund, would i get it back and by what method?"

her: "i THINK you get it back to your credit card, NO?"

me: "so can i request it by check?"

her: "no, i think only credit card"

me: "are you sure?"

her: "hmm..i suppose, no? hold on ( a few minutes passed)

her : "ok, yeah it's credit sir"

me: "did u check with someone again?"

her: "hmm...yes, but it makes sense right. if u use the credit card, it would go back to your credit card, no?"

me: (WHAT THE ***k???????????? pulling my hair, jumping up and down) I came to the conclusion that I am no longer willing to waste a dime on speaking to her so i kindly said, "thanks for your help, goodbye".

I swear this is the conversation i had, not word for word, but pretty close to the real thing.

maybe you can answer this if any of you know it:
Q: my application is withdrawn without going through verification yet. schools have not yet receive application, am i consider a "REAPPLICANT" to these same schools for next year? Is there anyway we know this? would it be listed as reapplicant on next year AMCAS? If it is, that would suck because i didn't even submit or even attempt to create a file at any schools.

Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, if you completed the entire application process, including secondaries, you would be considered as a reapplicant. (at least according to Loyola). The reason she probably doesn't know is because every school is different.

As for your refund, if you get one, would be given to you in the method you used. If you used a check, you'll likely get a check. If you used a credit card, it will be refunded to the credit card you used for the transaction.

The decision to apply to medical school is very serious and should be well thought out. I consider it on par with buying a house. You can apply for a loan, then cancel the loan applicaiton, but it will still show up on your credit report that you tried to obtain credit, which could negatively effect your credit score, which is why applying for a loan should not be taken lightly.

On that note, why the heck did you submit your AMCAS only to change your mind a few weeks later?

please don't quote me on this. But i am thinking that if you never verified and submitted your primary app (AMCAS), then you won't be considered a reapplicant next year b/c they never even received your info from AMCAS!!! to make sure, I would talk to the admissions people at some of the schools that you're interested in and ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
ball372 said:
please don't quote me on this. But i am thinking that if you never verified and submitted your primary app (AMCAS), then you won't be considered a reapplicant next year b/c they never even received your info from AMCAS!!! to make sure, I would talk to the admissions people at some of the schools that you're interested in and ask them.

That's not entirely true because I waited for verification for 2 months last year and during that time I received several secondaries. So therefore schools must receive information about you even if your application isn't verified. I believe the general policy is that if you never completed a secondary (whatever form that takes, either essays, or just a check) schools do not consider you an applicant at all. But I suppose if one is really worried then you could call/e-mail each school to ask.

if you are pulling your hair out over a situation like this are you ready for medical school? :eek:

ok back to the question at hand. whatever question you have, put it in writing and request a reply in writing.

good luck.

pem8erly said:
I believe the general policy is that if you never completed a secondary (whatever form that takes, either essays, or just a check) schools do not consider you an applicant at all.

That would make sense, but what about the schools that pre-screen for secondaries? If an applicant does not make the first cut, they have applied but obviously not completed the secondary. Wouldn't they be considered a re-applicant if they chose to apply to the same school the following application cycle? Just a thought.

Fusion said:
That would make sense, but what about the schools that pre-screen for secondaries? If an applicant does not make the first cut, they have applied but obviously not completed the secondary. Wouldn't they be considered a re-applicant if they chose to apply to the same school the following application cycle? Just a thought.

From what I have heard schools that screen does it very systematically. GPA, MCAT score, done. So it isn't as if they are thorougly scrutinizing you application before sending out secondaries. And really how many schools are not taking the opportunity to collect as much application fee as they can and then complain about being swamped with applicants? Point is they haven't looked at you until you pay them.