AMCAS transcript logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcm810

Reaction score
Hi all! I am applying and getting a bit confused by what AMCAS means by 'received' my transcript. I did a postbac and took a stats class to support my research through a program called FAES. I am still not sure if this is even technically a college, but I was advised to submit my transcript from this class, which had never even occurred to me ( I requested my other transcripts May 3). So I immediately requested the transcript and thought it would be received by AMCAS around May 31. It was received today, but now I am seeing it can take 15 business to actually mark it as received? Does this mean I cannot submit my application for another 3 weeks? I am applying MD PhD and knew that it was relatively more competitive, so I began work on my apps in Decemeber. Everything is ready to go, except for this transcript that it never even occurred to me would be needed. I got an A+ in the class, but don't particularly need it for my app, so this is extremely frustrating. Does anybody know if it actually takes this long? Or if it is ever ok to leave a transcript off of your application?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not ever okay to leave a transcript off of your application, because you do actually particularly need all of your transcripts for your application pursuant to AMCAS' requirements. You don't need to wait for it to be marked received in order to submit your application, but you will not enter the verification queue until it has been so marked. Nothing you can do about it now, so no reason to stress about it. You are going to be early, even if you are not transmitted on Day One, and there is still an excellent chance you will be verified prior to Day One on 6/24.

I guess my question is that 15 business days to mark the transcript as received will put me into the queue on June 21. I think from there a safe estimate may be 25 days for verification, so I am not sent to schools until July 16, which seems late. I am also still confused if I need this transcript, because the organization describes itself as giving academic credit, but not degrees. I wasn't even aware I was taking the course for any type of academic credit at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my question is that 15 business days to mark the transcript as received will put me into the queue on June 21. I think from there a safe estimate may be 25 days for verification, so I am not sent to schools until July 16, which seems late. I am also still confused if I need this transcript, because the organization describes itself as giving academic credit, but not degrees. I wasn't even aware I was taking the course for any type of academic credit at the time.
I am pretty sure the 15 days is nothing more than an outside estimate, to keep them from being bombarded by calls if they said 5 days and it didn't happen for 7. If it has been received, I don't think it's going to take 3 weeks to be logged in, unless there is problem. But it just doesn't matter, because you have no choice here.

Degrees make no difference at all. From the official applicant guide:

How Do I Know if AMCAS Requires an Official Transcript?

One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. territorial, or Canadian postsecondary institution at which you have attempted coursework, regardless of whether you earned credit. The transcript requirement applies but is not limited to:

• College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if the courses did not count toward a degree at any college.

• Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if the credit was subsequently transferred to and accepted by another school.

• Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits).

• Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was earned or transferred.

• Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a separate transcript is provided by the extension division.

Correspondence and home study programs.

• Military education and Joint Services Transcript (JST).

• American colleges overseas.

• U.S., U.S. territorial, and Canadian medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Even if there is nothing I can do about it, this is an extremely expensive, stressful and time-consuming process, so having some peace of mind that a logistical error like this won't ruin my chances is very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Even if there is nothing I can do about it, this is an extremely expensive, stressful and time-consuming process, so having some peace of mind that a logistical error like this won't ruin my chances is very helpful!
Believe me, I know. I just went through it myself. Please read the post I just made in @Moko's annual PSA thread about first day submissions to hopefully put your mind at ease. Trust me, a few days or weeks one way or the other, at the very beginning of the cycle, just does not influence final outcomes, for anyone. Good luck!!!