AMCAS weighted my Yale courses strangely

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plasticup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit: deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume that Yale and Brown are the same in this respect. For Brown, all courses are 4 semester hrs (whether or not they have a lab, it makes no difference). On AMCAS all Brown courses show up as 4 semester hrs.

I did my post-bac work at UC Berkeley Extension and many of their classes are only worth 3 semester hrs (they than have labs that are weighed as 2 semester hrs). So UC Berkeley Extension classes each have a different weight (which is different from how it is at Brown). This is not a mistake.

Last edited:
I thought standard semester long courses in general were 4 semester hours. Granted, some places have half classes, or one credit labs, but in general, one takes at minimum 128 semester hours worth of classes for a degree, correlating to 32 classes.

Is that approximately what Yale was like (people took on average 4 regular classes a semester, maybe 5)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Biochemistry and Genetics w/o lab at Cal State (SJSU) worth 4 sems credits each. The same through UCBEx would have given me 3 credits each.
On a similar note, I took Physiology and Immunology at SJSU and both were worth 3 sems units each - same as UCB Extn would have given me.

Ochem with Lab is worth 5 sems credits total at both SJSU and UCBEx.

I did an undergraduate degree at Yale and a post-bacc at UNCC. Yale didn't use a semester-hour system, so I input the number of "credits" that each course was worth. AMCAS then upped every course to 4 semester hours, while the courses of my post-bacc have 3 semester hours.

Any idea why they would give my Yale courses this heavy weighting?

edit: Spoke to AMCAS - they say it is no mistake. Yale credits are given 4 semester hours.

So does that mean labs at Yale are 2 semester hours? What about courses worth 1.5 Yale credits? And when did they switch over? Mid-school year?

I'm right on the cusp of the switch so I was wondering if all of '03-'04 is the old system, or it ends with Fall 2003.

Thanks!

Princeton's classes are weighted the same way. Every class (except for languages and your Thesis) is worth 4 credits.

I thought standard semester long courses in general were 4 semester hours. Granted, some places have half classes, or one credit labs, but in general, one takes at minimum 128 semester hours worth of classes for a degree, correlating to 32 classes.

I've been in technically 6 colleges (although two were part of the same university), three credit hours for a class is very common. My undergrad was 4 credits per class, but the community colleges and the public university I attended later were 3 credit hours a piece.