AMCAS Work/Activities- Leadership for 1 year, member for 2 others, how to list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wegotthis14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do I classify my participation in a student organization for the years that I didn't hold a leadership position?

I want to account for all the hours I was involved in the org. However, how do I account for this as long as it's categorized under "Leadership?"

Members don't see this ad.

Just list it as leadership for one year, then mention membership during the preceding two years in the description. Membership in an organization isn't notable otherwise.

Just list it as leadership for one year, then mention membership during the preceding two years in the description. Membership in an organization isn't notable otherwise.
I agree. If you want to include your hours as a general member, mention them in the narrative after you write the date span of that involvement. If you're going to use Leadership as the tag, it's best not to include the entire date span with the organization in the header as it might be misconstrued.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

One more question- how do you document holding two different leadership positions during consecutive years (Ex: Treasurer, then VP)? Would I just document Treasurer in the description as well?

One more question- how do you document holding two different leadership positions during consecutive years (Ex: Treasurer, then VP)? Would I just document Treasurer in the description as well?
It would be fine to include both in the same listing, using a 2-year date span, but instead of naming the leadership activity Vice President of XXX, you'd call it Leadership Positions with XXX or Treasurer and Vice President of XXX, then explain in the narrative. Alternatively, you might use the Repeated option to enter two different date spans (especially if the involvement occurred only during the academic year), and two different Total Hours, especially if the hours you put in were very different between the two roles.