American Board of Pediatric dentistry ORAL EXAM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to prepare for ABPD oral exam, i am taking it in september.
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking in sep too. Did you watch the video on the abpd site? I hope it's that easy. I just watched it. Are you a resident or practicing? I'm going to read the guidelines book and the handbook. I don't know anyone that's taken it. Do you?

I am taking the Oral Boards in Pediatric Dentistry in September....any study suggestions? Thank you:)

I have not taken it. I'm taking the written portion in May. I've heard the following general advice, which I think it similar to what is posted on the ABPD site:

Take your time with your explanations, but don't drag them out to make them seem as though you are covering for a lack of knowledge. Answer the questions to reflect what you would do in your own practice (there are different ways to practice that are well within the bounds of our profession, it doesn't mean they are right or wrong). Be straightforward and don't dig yourself a hole with your answers.

That's what I've been told. Seems to make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
any advice on preparing for oral boards for pediatric dentistry? is there any way to order the review book from the course from the AAPD ahead of time (since the course is only a couple of weeks before the exam)?

Hi, can you recomend a study materail for studing first part of the ABPD exam?

Hi, can you recomend a study materail for studing first part of the ABPD exam?
Reference manual, AAPD handbook, comp review if you want to go the extra mile. Also attend the Oral exam review course. It's a bit close to the exam date but it'll give you an idea of the format if you haven't taken it in the past.

Reactions: 1 users
Reference manual, AAPD handbook, comp review if you want to go the extra mile. Also attend the Oral exam review course. It's a bit close to the exam date but it'll give you an idea of the format if you haven't taken it in the past.
Thank you so much. I obtained the AAPD handbook. I applied to a specific program, namely Advanced Placement in Ped. Dent for International Dentists. As part of the interview process, a candidate undergoes an exam including the subjects of Pediatric Dental Core, Sedation, Growth & Development, Orthodontics, Oral Pathology, and Oral Medicine. When I studied for the NBDE exams I utilized the Dental Decks which is extremely helpful and easy to study. Is there a similar material for studying these advanced pediatric dentistry courses, like dental decks?

Thank you so much. I obtained the AAPD handbook. I applied to a specific program, namely Advanced Placement in Ped. Dent for International Dentists. As part of the interview process, a candidate undergoes an exam including the subjects of Pediatric Dental Core, Sedation, Growth & Development, Orthodontics, Oral Pathology, and Oral Medicine. When I studied for the NBDE exams I utilized the Dental Decks which is extremely helpful and easy to study. Is there a similar material for studying these advanced pediatric dentistry courses, like dental decks?

There's really nothing like the dental decks for the written exam for board certification. Any question can be asked about anything related to pediatric dentistry. I am unfamiliar with exam that you are required to take as part of your admissions so I can't really comment on that.