Amino acids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ohopenyoureyes

Did you memorize all 20 for the OATs?

Members don't see this ad.

I did for my biochem class. I don't recall there is any questions in OAT about it. You only need to know the basic proteins and amino acid reactions.

I don't recall being tested specifically for amino acids. You are expected to know their general structure (-R group, H e.t.c.) I believe, but I do not think they're going to present you with the structure of tyrosine and ask you what it is, if its polar/charged e.t.c.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never covered any amino acid/protein reactions in my Orgo class unfortunately. Which do you think we're supposed to know? (I will google them.) & okay thanks so much about not specifically memorizing them!

I never covered any amino acid/protein reactions in my Orgo class unfortunately. Which do you think we're supposed to know? (I will google them.) & okay thanks so much about not specifically memorizing them!

My memory is vague but I believe it pertained to recognizing / understanding zwitterion forms, pHs e.t.c.

I'm pretty positive you don't need to know the different amino acids for the OAT. Don't waste your time. Understand the general concepts of protein formation and structure, but don't worry about each individual amino acid.