An Aspiring Medical Student - What to Know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesSRyC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning SDF,

My apologies if this is something of a repeat thread. I've tried searching using a few key terms and haven't found anything like what I'm looking for and nothing in the, "Similar Threads We Found," match either, so I did my best to ensure that it was not clutter for the forum.

I'm currently a 24 year old looking to go back to school. Initially when attending college, my previous majors were psychology and philosophy but for various circumstances I left and decided to change my area of concentration to medicine, specifically with an eye toward neurology (was contemplating neuroscience but I do want to go into medicine).

My question is this: What should I know prior to engaging in the active and intensive study to become a physician in this era? I have lots of reading material and even video lectures on anatomy and physiology (looks like a fun time learning 13,000 terms), chemistry, biology and others. I've been led to understand that I should have a good grasp of calculus and physics and science in general. Is this true (I have no particular reason to doubt it, just looking for confirmation) and what else should I know prior to diving head-first into the medicine pool? Doesn't necessarily need to be restricted to the course materials, though that is the primary focus of what I'm attempting to understand, it can also be practical advice on what to expect and things of that nature.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.