An unusual situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyInsomniac1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I've been browsing through the forum looking for people in similar positions to mine. I find people who are almost there but still not quite in the place I am. I am just looking for some guidance. Okay, here goes:

My high school GPA was terrible. 2.8 or something like that.
I got accepted into a university somehow. I originally wanted to major in history, not because I passionate about the subject but because I did well in it in high school so I figured I'd major in it in college.
My first semester was sooooo bad. I was severely depressed and it didn't help that a cousin who I was close to passed away that same semester. I made all Fs in the 4 classes I was taking. I just dropped out. I took a semester off and went back to school at my local community college (at the behest of my parents). Long story short in CC: I made 4 F's and had so many W's from when I entered in 2013 to 2014. I did subpar in those years making B's and C's and F's. 2015 I went back and did really well. A's everywhere. In 2016, got depressed again, got an F in Gen Chem I. I decided to take a semester off again to reflect about my life. At this point I knew I wanted to be in the medical field. I went back to CC and made decent grades. A's in all classes minus Calc I (B) and Physics I (C). By the end of CC I had a 3.5 cGPA including retaken classes. I have a 2.9 cGPA without retaken classes. I transferred out of CC back into the University where I had originally started because I thought it would look good that I went back to finish what I started. Currently, i am technically a junior and my cGPA here is a 3.7 and my sGPA is 3.8. (my school has a thing where they get rid of your lowest grades once in your academic career so they don't affect your gpa, although they still show up on your transcript).

So my question is: Do I have a chance? Should I retake those F classes from my university? Should I try an SMP after I graduate? I am very discouraged learning that DO no longer replace grades. As things stand, my GPA is a probably a 3.0 (at best) average of both my CC and current university GPAs. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the upward trend. That's amazing! I would reach out to your college's pre-med advisor and the DO programs that you're interested in to get their advice on this.

But I think that yes, a high MCAT score and a high GPA in a science-focused master's program, like SMP, would definitely prove to medical school admissions that you have changed your study habits and would be successful in medical school. Admissions committees prefer science masters programs over Public Health, for example, because it can help your science GPA. I had a less than competitive undergrad gpa, but after taking many classes and being successful in a post-bacc program, I have gained acceptance to a couple DO programs. Good luck with everything! I'm cheering you on.

Hello to everyone. I've been browsing through the forum looking for people in similar positions to mine. I find people who are almost there but still not quite in the place I am. I am just looking for some guidance. Okay, here goes:

I got accepted into a university somehow. I originally wanted to major in history, not because I passionate about the subject but because I did well in it in high school so I figured I'd major in it in college.
My first semester was sooooo bad. I was severely depressed and it didn't help that a cousin who I was close to passed away that same semester. I made all Fs in the 4 classes I was taking. I just dropped out. I took a semester off and went back to school at my local community college (at the behest of my parents). Long story short in CC: I made 4 F's and had so many W's from when I entered in 2013 to 2014. I did subpar in those years making B's and C's and F's. 2015 I went back and did really well. A's everywhere. In 2016, got depressed again, got an F in Gen Chem I. I decided to take a semester off again to reflect about my life. At this point I knew I wanted to be in the medical field. I went back to CC and made decent grades. A's in all classes minus Calc I (B) and Physics I (C). By the end of CC I had a 3.5 cGPA including retaken classes. I have a 2.9 cGPA without retaken classes. I transferred out of CC back into the University where I had originally started because I thought it would look good that I went back to finish what I started. Currently, i am technically a junior and my cGPA here is a 3.7 and my sGPA is 3.8. (my school has a thing where they get rid of your lowest grades once in your academic career so they don't affect your gpa, although they still show up on your transcript).

So my question is: Do I have a chance? Should I retake those F classes from my university? Should I try an SMP after I graduate? I am very discouraged learning that DO no longer replace grades. As things stand, my GPA is a probably a 3.0 (at best) average of both my CC and current university GPAs. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)

oddly enough the grades I had academically renewed(sounds like your school) didn't count against me, but the two D's i retook did. This is strictly for DO, MD They all counted. You would be surprised what 3 F's even with > 150 credits does to your GPA

Congratulations on the upward trend. That's amazing! I would reach out to your college's pre-med advisor and the DO programs that you're interested in to get their advice on this.

But I think that yes, a high MCAT score and a high GPA in a science-focused master's program, like SMP, would definitely prove to medical school admissions that you have changed your study habits and would be successful in medical school. Admissions committees prefer science masters programs over Public Health, for example, because it can help your science GPA. I had a less than competitive undergrad gpa, but after taking many classes and being successful in a post-bacc program, I have gained acceptance to a couple DO programs. Good luck with everything! I'm cheering you on.

Thank you! I'm working hard to make up for so much lost time and terrible grades. Reading your post gives me more hope. Should I do the SMP at a school that has a DO program?

oddly enough the grades I had academically renewed(sounds like your school) didn't count against me, but the two D's i retook did. This is strictly for DO, MD They all counted. You would be surprised what 3 F's even with > 150 credits does to your GPA

Those classes that I got F's in aren't even for my current major which is bio. They were history, French and some communication classes I took when I was still a history major. It's good to hear that those might not be held against me so much.